Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #1 
Dozzem

Unhappy New Betta, 'Fuzz' and really slow. Looks sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozzem View Post
I just came back from a bike ride with a fish!

Story: Today I went to go get my books for high school (EEEEEEE [Yes I am a freshmen!]) When I got home I poked my fish, Ula. Who likes to bite his tail D: I gave him a water changed and rembered that its thurseday! Every thursday a outside market is on the street! I got on my bike and took off. Each time I go (I BUY ROCKS :DDD) I pass by a crazy man who sells bambo and bettas. ALL of the bettas I believe are boy VTs. He has like 20 of them in TINY cups that aren't even filled with water all the way! THEY ARE SO DIRTY! I asked him how many times he changes the water and he said ONLY ONCE A WEEK!!!! Those poor guys... I told him that isn't right, I change mine dalie for my 2 gallon tank! He said no, only once a week. I wanted to eat his face... I looked at them to see if there are any sick ones I should save. None were sick that I could see but none were healthy of flaring. I looked at this pretty white one with pink on the ege of its fins. He acted a lot like Ula so I put him down. I picked up this multi color little guy. I feel in love.~ <3 Then I asked the crazy man what water he has it in. He said drinking water! I was done with wanting to eat his face... I WANTED TO BITE HIS HEAD OFF! I said that isn't right but he ignored me. So I bought the little guy and ran to find some warm bottled water. Then I ran to the bath room to dump the water out of my thick water bottle ( I was drinking tap). I put the new water in there. His water was SO dirty... I put him in my hand and he jumped! I grabbed him by the tail (sorry little fish) and I got him on there! I biked as fast and smothly home, stopping once a while to get him fresh air. When I got hom I quickly got him in to a 3 gallon tank filled with conditioned water, marbles, and a egg cave. Ula is flaring and freking out.

Qs: His bottem fin has an odd red spot, is that blood? What is he, is it a he? Should I put some AQ salt in there??

Sorry I'm in a rush, bad spelling... and bad camera!
This was a few hours ago, I posted it in the Betta Fish Care form because I thought I was over reacting and it wasn't an emergency. Now it kina is...

Housing
What size is your tank? 3gallen but I only have it 1/2 filled
What temperature is your tank? in the high 70s
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets but he/she didn't eat any
How often do you feed your betta fish? I am planning everyday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I will be doing everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? nope

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Well I got it like this, its fins are close to its body. A little layer of fuzz or slim is visable
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? floats at the top of the tank right near the air
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Not so long ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 2 tsp of AQ salt, just now and I made it dark for him/her
Does your fish have any history of being ill? idk
How old is your fish (approximately)? I was hoping you could tell me :D

If you can PLEASE answer these:
- What else can/should I do?
- What illness dose it have?
- What type of Betta is it? (I think VT)
- What gender?

- Names?
I am sorry about the pictures, I have a bad camra. I will be getting better pictures soon from my mum's cam.

Thank chu for your time!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dozzem; 08-12-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #2 
Abby

the red parts could just be a colour change?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #3 
Dozzem

@ Abby, he/she had that when I got him/her. I think it is the color.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #4 
Abby

can you explain the fuzz or slim u see? bettas do have a slime coat
Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #5 
Dozzem

I looks like it is coming off or somthing strange. Maybe it is a fugus but now is coming off die to the AQ salt and good water.

I got my mum's cam. Hopefully you can see it there.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #6 
Abby

oh i see hmm im not too sure I suggest PMing OldFishLady she will be able to help she works magic!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #7 
itbites

Almost looks like his coating is coming off...Was he dropped on the road? If so it could be that?

One of my betta's dived out of his tank & was on the floor.

After that he lost his slime coating & I had to use melafix, IAL & salt to keep him stable & clean until his body replaced the coating.

Other than that I don't know :/ But if the fuzz/slime wasn't there earlier in the day it may well be what I've just described.

He's fins have clamped too by the looks of things so just be sure not to stress him too much in any case..

Good luck!
itbites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #8 
Dozzem

I fond him/her next to his/her cave. Looks like it was stuck D: I got the cave out but I noticed it just fell back onto the marbles! It is BREATHING hard now. looks like it can't breath.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Dozzem, that looks like his slime coat is coming off. Given the conditions he was in, he probably produced extra slime coat to compensate for the bad water and to get rid of any external parasites he might have. Now that he's in clean water it's coming off. The AQ salt is good. Do you have Stress Coat? He (yes, that's definitely a he) also has ammonia poisoning. Clean water will help with that. His chances for survival depend on how long the guy had him in that dirty water. :/ If he was there a long time, he may have irreversible ammonia issues. But you did the right thing, you're giving him a fighting chance and for that I salute you!

Will he eat? He looks thin.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #10 
earthworm88

Does he have cloudy eyes? Look a bit cloudy to me on both pictures.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote