Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #1 
Ashleigh

Betta bite sized holes in tail? :S Do we have a tailbiter?

So recently I've discovered my girl, Candy, has bite marks in her anal fin. And I don't mean shredded fins, I mean bite marks... They look just like the shape of her mouth. I'm considering finrot as the edges seem to be black, but the black line is very thin. I might get some pics soon to show everyone the little gnaw marks :l

Also my other betta, Peewee, has shredded fins as well. I noticed this when I had his river rocks all piled up and he developed a pashion of squeezing between the tiny gaps in them. Eventually I spread them out in fear of him hurting himself, buuut his fins are still shredded. On his anal fin he has clearish-white growth which I read is his fins growing back? -facepalm- >.<

I plan on adding some aquarium salt to their tanks to reduce infection. I'm also wondering how to tell if it's stress or boredom that causes the fish to bite their tail? It's not like they're THAT new or anything... Might be able to get some pics later :)

Thank-you for your time!
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #2 
Myates

Pics definately would help, and possibly fill out the sticky on top of this forum? Are there any tank mates with the female?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #3 
Ashleigh

This sticky is for Candy, the female.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 1 in the morning, 2 at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bite sized holes in the anal fin with slightly black edges
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 or 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt, 1tsp/gallon
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Swim bladder disorder in the first week or two of purchase.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had her for about 2 months and she was pretty small then, so maybe 1 year? A bit older?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 
Ashleigh

This sticky is for Peewee, the male.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77 F
Does your tank have a filter? He did but I took it out as it seemed to annoy him.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 1 in the morning, 2 at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slightly shredded anal, dorsal and caudal fins with whitish-clear growth.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was trying to get between the river rocks piled up in his tank, but that's stopped now.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt, 1tsp/gallon
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not really sure, he's still growing. Between 1 and 2 years maybe?

The camera on my phone isn't the best, so I'll take some photos tonight when I can steal my sister's iphone to take pictures
Old 08-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #5 
Myates

Hard to tell with the girl without pics, but it sounds like they are nibbling on themselves. Any changes recently? New tanks, new food, new temp, new water dechlorinator? Some people try using mirrors on them daily for short spurts to help them focus, or make them chase their food (blood worm/pellet on a toothpick) etc to give them exercise.
I wouldn't use the salt for more then 10 days straight, after that I would think stress coat added in during routine water changes to help keep them calm and promote fin growth.
I wish I could be of more help :( Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable comes to help. Best wishes
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Typically, bites from tail biting look like very small U shapes :)

Theyre really, very U shaped, too. Unless its EXTREME biting, where most of the tail can be gone. Usually, if its not rays but the other fins, its biting.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #7 
Ashleigh

PewPewPew, with my girl the holes are pretty exact U shapes. The boy is a little different, I don't want to mislead anyone using my blurry phone camera, so I'm going to wait untill my sister get's home so I can use her phone. Unfortunately, we don't have a proper camera in the house :(

Myates, the only thing I've changed is the dechlorinator, but I noticed the symptoms before the change. I'm debating if they're stressed from the light though, as Peewee has a 15 watt desklamp pointing directly at his tank. I've stopped turning it on though. By the way, you have been a big help and I thank you for it :D
Old 08-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #8 
Ashleigh

First is Candy and second is Peewee.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Looks like biting to me. I had no idea females could bite but you're absolutely right, those look like little U-shaped bite marks.

I can't tell you how to prevent tailbiting (sure wish I could, I'd be everyone's best friend on this forum, lol) but I CAN say aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon, Stress Coat if you have it, and clean water will prevent the bites from becoming infected.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #10 
Ashleigh

I had no idea only males bit their tails. It's a little hard to see Peewee's fins in the photo. Is Stress Coat available in Australia? I don't think I've seen it in stores. Hopefully the aquarium salt will do it's job :D