Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 
lcbrent

Female betta and the filter fasination

I'm at a loss as to what to do with my betta girls (2) and their filter fettish. I had them in my 55g community tank and they seemed to be doing pretty well with the residents. They were however keeping close to the filter and getting stuck to it. They would get themselves unstuck eventually but it was bothering me to see them stuck.

So, I put them in there own 10g tank that has a small 10g slower sucking filter and put plants and decorations in front of the intake to deter them from swimming in front of it. The swim arround it, and even jump in it! (its an in tank submersed filter by the way) I lowered the water to limit there access to the top of the filter and moved more stuff in front of it but they are still keeping close to it and getting stuck! They got ick. I turned off the filter and took out the carbon. Started ick treatment. They seem to be doing better.

The question. Should I try a different filter? Is there somehting I can just put on the filter like a massive sponge?

I have lots of fake plants and caves for them to hide in and play arround. I wanted to add a few more girls to the tank but I want to make sure their new home is working.

Ideally I'd like to put lots of real plants. But one challenge at a time.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by lcbrent; 08-12-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
lcbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #2 
youlovegnats

O_O That's really weird. lol.
Maybe try a sponge filter? They're used for fry (so they don't get sucked up) and have a really low intake. :)

Edit: I believe they can be attached to power filters. Not sure on that though- never used one before.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

O.o Yeah, that is uber weird for fish to do.. I suppose your best bet is to get a sponge filter or fix your filter with a sponge so they won't get sucked up... Here's some info about the sponge filter they usually sell in stores, but there are ways to make your own, which does the same thing. They're already cheap to buy in stores, but if you do make your own sponge filter, you might wanna figure out the flow of your sponge filter so you'll know if its adequate for your tank or not. This article explains how they work, and a few tricks like how to lessen the agitation of the water, and how to measure the flow per gallon, and such. Pretty in depth >.> You can always youtube how to make one, if that is something your interested in.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....iltration.html

If you'd rather not do any of that, and if your filter is designed the way I think it is, there's a way to put a sponge over the suction part of the filter so that it still takes the water in through the filter, but won't suck up any fish. All you have to do is get a big enough sponge (if too big, just cut it to the appropriate length), put a whole that will fit the tube in the sponge (it should fit snuggly about halfway into the sponge) and tada! I hope at least some of this has helped you..
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I've used filter media bags to cover the intake. They don't reduce the suction as much as keep tails from getting sucked up. I used it in my 16 when my Endler's were really tiny and in my 6 when my dwarf puffer was about half an inch.

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-AquaClea.../dp/B0002DHQR0

I just pulled them over the intake like a sock and wrapped the drawstring around the top of the bag a few times. If there's no drawstring, you can use a rubberband or string.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

... they're betta.

Emerald use to leap up into the gap between the drop and baffle on my P350b and just lay there twitching up for breaths. Need more hiding places out in the tank.

Any betta will swim up and stick onto the filter intake, it lets them hover without effort. They can fill their labyrinth full then power down to it and not bob to the surface.

Most straight-forward work around is intake sponge and a baffled output above the surface.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #6 
lcbrent

I like the idea of the sponge filter. I think it has the best posibility of working for these girls. What worries me is their tails are looking like the are getting kind of roughed up. I think I got rid of the ick... but they are still not looking too good. What really iritates me is they will get better after some meds and no filter. I just turn it off and take out the carbon when they are being treated. Then water change and filter back on then they start looking unwell again and sticking to that stupid filter. Thats why I was assuming it was the filter making them sick.

The filter is currently out and they are soaking in the fungus/bacterial medicine. I'm looking forward to seeing them healthy again.

I do have lots of hiding places for them. I am hoping to putting several more girls in with them and I figured you can't have too many places to hide and territory markers. There are about 8 big and little plastic plants. One real cave and a fake tree root system that is cave like in there to hide arround. I was planning on putting in more cave like structues before any other girls are added. But most importantly I want these girls happy and healthy consistenly.

I checked out that link about the sponge filters. So if I just buy the "filter" and not the kit will the 10 gallon air pump i already have work with the filter or should I just get the whole kit? I guess I'm wondering wether or not it comes with all the connections I need. I have plenty of hose and the air pump is only a few years old. seems to work well.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Bleh... -.- Well, I'm glad your fish are doing better and filter aside, it sounds like you have a great tank for your bettas! Plus you're putting your bettas best interest at heart, and that's definitely something that matters more than a crummy filter...
Honestly, I couldn't tell you which way would be better... I've been working on making my own 'cause all I'm getting is a 5g for one male betta. I just stumbled across that site and it's helped me understand how they work and what to do if it's too much for the betta to handle. If anything, the filter kits really don't seem to cost very much so you can be on the safe side and buy the kit. But then again, from my point of view, I don't see why you can't just buy the sponge part and hook it up yourself with your own 10g pump... but if you were to do that, you might want to measure the water flow so you can make sure if the pump is adequate for your tank or not. It would probably be best for you to look into it as much as possible so you can tell which one is the best option.. Like if you can, see what kind of air pump they use for their 10g filters. Also, if the air output becomes too much, you might also want to dig a bit deeper when it comes to air control valves. Again, I haven't used one just yet, but I've had one person tell me it would be better to use a gang valve in order to distribute the air flow of your filter and keep any added pressure off of your air pump at the same time so you won't stress it out too much.. but I've also had another person say that they're the same thing. I asked them on whether or not they do actually do the same thing, or if the air control valve is more like a clamp. I'm still waiting on their reply, but I'll let you know about it when they get back to me, hopefully.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #8 
lcbrent

I really enjoy betas. They have such prominent personalities. They are quite amusing fish.

Your right about the filter kits being cheap enough. I may just get the whole thing then I'd have some redundency if nothing else. Never hurts.

It will be fun to see how the girls take the new filter and wether they keep hanging arround it. Maybe its the side of the tank. Both tanks have the filter in the same spot. wont that be special.

Side question. Have you ever run across the dragon scale bettas? Do they have females of them?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #9 
Draug Isilme

Hehheh, indeed ^.^ I do hope they like the filter and everything goes well..
Um... Yeah, I have seen some dragon scale bettas. They actually recently started selling them at our Petsmart along with half moons. I don't believe they have any female dragon scales, though.. Essentially, from the way they had their cups organized, they had male dragon scales in one group, male half moons in another, male veil tails in a different group, male crown tails right beside the veil tails, and then females. Didn't say say what types, but from what I could tell, they all looked like veil tails. I'll have to double check on that, though. I'm going to get a new fish tomorrow, anyway, and I was gonna check to see if this one halfmoon was some sort of double tail or not xD I'll give you a heads up if you'd like.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #10 
lcbrent

That would be great. They are quite different in looks. I'd love to be able to add one to my tank.