Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

2am Rescue

This last weekend Missouri had no tax on school supplies, so the family and I wen shopping. Of course we had to hit up Wal-Mart and about 12 we went in, around 1am I found this little guy.
He wasn't the worst one off but he looked like he was more aware of what was happening to him and had given up. He knew how bad he was and didn't care if he lived or died. (Maybe a bit to much emotion for a fish but it's what I saw) I contemplated between a very excited, healthy, b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l., red crowntail and him.
The last look he gave me broke my heart so I put the red crowntail front and center and bought this little guy and a plant. He was laying on the bottom barely breathing and would occasionally come up to breath something from the surface.
I got him home and in my QT tank and within 10minutes he was swimming closer to the surface and more easily.
Since then I have put a fake plant and two moss balls (which he is in love with!) in with him. Today I played with him and a shiny bottle cap which he seemed to enjoy. He still seems depressed and hasn't eaten but he's coming around and swims much better and doesn't stay at the bottom of the tank.
Sorry to rant! Here are some pics. I'm still looking for a name, my other two are named Rosie and Alfonso.

Him defending his moss balls

Sorry that it's blurry

His current tank I switched the plant this water change though

This one shows off his red

This guy wanted to help sooo bad lol

Question: I just did a water change and for a little excitement put the cup the new guy is in next to Alfonso's tank. Alfonso was Very interested but the new guy turned his tail fin to him and completely ignored him! Is this normal? I think poor Alfonso was insulted lol and the new guy wasn't the least bit interested in Rosie either but I'm not to worried about that.
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

I heara lot about how male bettas who have been sitting next to other males at store for a lon time become desensitized to the presence of other males, given time and kept away from other males some have been known to get their spunk back
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #3 
Sarahlydear

Mkay I'll keep hope up, poor guy. :( Either way I'm sure he'll bounce back.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

If you have oak leaves you can put some in the water to create tannis, which has calming affects
oh, and hes pretty, I almost got a betta that looked a lot like him, ended up getting Wildfire (had SBD and fin rot and died three days later :( )
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #5 
Sarahlydear

Would oak leaves straight from the tree on my dad's property be alright? He doesn't spray for anything.
Yeah sorry the pics are blurry I end up spending my money on all the critters and necessities that I end up never getting the new camera I need. :P but he is a lovely color if I say so myself and I'm pleased he doesn't have fin rot or anything even though his water was disgusting and he is already attached to me(he follows me around the room in his tank).
Sorry about your fish! That's horrid :( but at least he died in a good, clean, happy place and not on the shelf alone and in poison water.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlydear View Post
Would oak leaves straight from the tree on my dad's property be alright? He doesn't spray for anything.
Yeah sorry the pics are blurry I end up spending my money on all the critters and necessities that I end up never getting the new camera I need. :P but he is a lovely color if I say so myself and I'm pleased he doesn't have fin rot or anything even though his water was disgusting and he is already attached to me(he follows me around the room in his tank).
Sorry about your fish! That's horrid :( but at least he died in a good, clean, happy place and not on the shelf alone and in poison water.

Cause his water was so bad keep an eye on him, epecially his fins
Yup, those will work, rinse them off with ho water first then crush them up and put them in :)

And I got her knowing there was a chance she wouldnt make it... al of my bettas (except the newbies) are walmart rescues that were on deaths bed in one way or another, and that is why I get them, that way they can die respectfully or can lie there lives in clean water and as happy as possile
Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #7 
Sarahlydear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Cause his water was so bad keep an eye on him, epecially his fins...
Oh I have been!! So far so good, though he still is lethargic, I'm going to give him a day or two more then really start worrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
And I got her knowing there was a chance she wouldnt make it... al of my bettas (except the newbies) are walmart rescues that were on deaths bed in one way or another, and that is why I get them, that way they can die respectfully or can lie there lives in clean water and as happy as possile
I try to get the ones that look like they need it the most but luckily our stores take goodish care of the bettas so many of them aren't too bad off, but the ones that are really are. :( Once I get my own place and a more stable income I plan on expanding and having a room for needy bettas, but until then... I end up over-compensating with the little ones I have now. :)
Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlydear View Post
Oh I have been!! So far so good, though he still is lethargic, I'm going to give him a day or two more then really start worrying.

I try to get the ones that look like they need it the most but luckily our stores take goodish care of the bettas so many of them aren't too bad off, but the ones that are really are. :( Once I get my own place and a more stable income I plan on expanding and having a room for needy bettas, but until then... I end up over-compensating with the little ones I have now. :)

Good, try not to get to worked up and keep stress around his tank down (wrap a towel or someting around it to block out some light and movement)

Yeah, the only store I have with bettas without having to drive 2 hours is Walmart, and they are AWEFUL abut caring for their bettas... that were I got my latest guy Finn, he has fin rot SO bad he has NO fins left, just a stubby little body,but h has spunk ad Im really hoping he pulls through

Before you start getting the really sick ones, be ready, its tough when they pass away, its amazing how fast you can get attached
Old 08-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #9 
Sarahlydear

Oh the poor guy! I'm sure you'll doctor him up though.
I have a female that was only body and now she's spunky and swims Everywhere lol. Luckily her's was from tailbiting and stress so once she was in a good, clean tank she did fine.

Our stores take Great care of the other fish and decent care of the bettas, enough for me to be satisfied to where I can leave a few behind (which is grrreeeaat for my pocket book lol)

I know, my family is a rescue family and we have gone through quite a few pets; either from being hit, shot, sick, old or re-homed. I'm prepared for the fish that don't pull through; I take comfort that they died happier and better than before we got them. Also my father made sure I was prepared for death when I entered the world and made sure I was tough enough to handle the abuse that's out there.

The only thing I'm worried about is not being able to save a fish that someone else could have. So y'all will know when my room opens up because I will probably have a question every other day. :P
Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #10 
LittleBettas

lol, I would have more but my bf cant take it when we lose one (I volunteer at a kill shelter and he cant stand going there)

All of my babies listed below are rescues except the newbies, decided it would be nice to have a betta that I got because I thought he/she was pretty and that wasnt sick

lol, look forward to hearing about your new rescues!