Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #1 
beasley

MY betta's tail!! :'(

so im very new to this but i do have 2 bettas in a 10 gallon tank. one female one male with a divider of course separating the two. i recently just got the male who's a halfmoon tail i believe. anyways today i woke up to find his tail shredded! i quarantined everything in the tank including the plants just in case. the fish is just laying at the bottom although showing no other signs of sickness like red streaks black tips . i have NO IDEA what to do nor do i have the funds right now to do anything about it :'( not until payday next week!

i would post pictures but i dont know how

also it just happened overnight i did a small water change the night before too. hes a blue fish w. almost like a red spotting on his head but im pretty sure its his natural pigment. and his tail was once so lush blue then turning into an almost cream hue towards the tips he's GORGEOUS & so worried that he'll never get his gorgeous tail back! :'(

Last edited by beasley; 08-12-2011 at 06:45 PM.
beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

If it happened over night and you ruled out the plants and other tank deco, it might be tail biting.

Does it look a little something like this? It's my tail biting crown tail, so yours will look similar but not exact since they're different tail types, but it should be enough to diagnosing biting or tearing.
Name:  005 (8).jpg
Views: 804
Size:  40.3 KB

For now just keep up on water changes and feed a higher protein diet to help with growth. If you've got aquarium salt or can pick it up next week, the dosing is 1 tsp/gal premixed to prevent fin rot and help encourage growth. You shouldn't need to go above that dose unless a persistent rot takes hold of his tail.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #3 
beasley

YESSS!!! that little sucker. is there anyway to prevent him from biting himself? i got the fish on a whim when i visited the pet store and fell in love so shame on me for not having all the proper equipment like salt.( i didnt even know it was safe to use salt for freshwater fish) NOR do i have any decorations other than some live plants thats floating around. so its safe to unquarantine everyone now? lol

although one thing bothers me about this. how can he bite off the fins on top of his body!?! those were severely damaged yet i did not find any fin remains on the bottom of the tank. but when i was moving the fish to another temporary place one piece did break off...is it possible for them to eat their own tails?!

Last edited by beasley; 08-12-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

It perfectly fine for everyone to be out of quarantine. They didn't have to be in the first place since fin rot is not contagious unless another fish has torn fins and is in poor water conditions or health.

Fin biting can't be completely prevented, but you can distract them from doing it. My boy went a little under a month from his last tail biting adventure, but he's completely taken out the new growth and made it worse as well as getting new areas.

You can try to distract him by floating a ping pong ball in his tank or different colored bottle caps. I've had good luck with a button tied to some thread too so that he can chase it around. Changing tank deco around and providing lots of hiding areas is another good way to discourage it.

If your 10 gallon is unfiltered, you probably only need to change 95% of the water weekly (That's my current schedule with it and I have 3 fish with no illnesses or problems caused by the change like that). Keep the water around 78*F-82*F. As for salt in teh sank, it should be aquarium salt for external use and epsom salt for internal use, but you don't need it in there all the time. It's bad to have constant salt because it hurts their labrynth organ (which they need to breath).

Aquarium salt should be available where you got him, epsom at pretty much any grocery store (it's used as a laxative in humans and works the same for fish). Dosages for both are the same, and while in use, you'll need to do more frequent water changes.

If you're goign to use aq salt on your boy, I suggest floating him either in his cup or in a larger tupperware with 100% daily water changes with correctly dosed aq salt. It helps to premix it in a gallon jug of dechlorinated water.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Another distraction is having them flare at a mirror for 15 minutes a day, but you'll have to slowly work up to this long if you do it all at once. I flare my boys for a few minutes throughout the day so they don't get too tired out. It's mostly when I get paranoid about them bloating from food since it helps them poop too.

Your female might flare too, it won't hurt her to try either. It's like a work out for them.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #6 
beasley

AWESOME!!! just a few questions. external & internal salt? i know what i would use for internal but whats w. the external??? & also my 2 fish are able to see eachother cuz the divider is clear. so when i got the boy. i waited like a day to put him into the tank. he sneaked in the other side so i had to carefully readjust it and unfortunatley the female was attacked but only a lil nibs on her tail she is completly fine. so they've been constantly flaring at eachother. not so much now especially since he snucked in..i think he may be a lil scared of her just cuz she is bigger...would that have anything to do w. him biting his own tail off?

&& should i put them together w. the divider until i get the salt . then quarantine him and do the 100% changes...?
sorry im somewhat clueless about this

UPDATE!! so when i came home from class i noticed that he does have some red on his top fin but i just cant tell if its red on the outter fins where its white because when i got him he had a sort of pinkish cream hue to the outter part of his fins..
and i also noticed a red streak under his belly right above his bottom fin. should i be worried?! all the fishes are quarantined still just as a precaution

Last edited by beasley; 08-13-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #7 
beasley

hopefully this works..

BUT HE ORIGINALLY LOOKED LIKE THIS

WILL HE EVER LOOK LIKE THAT AGAIN?? :'(

Last edited by beasley; 08-13-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

Aquarium salt is used for external purposes like fin rot and ick.
Epsom Salt is used for internal issues like constipation and swim bladder problems.

As far as the red on his fins, if it is around where he's been biting and is only on the edges then you should try clean water with 100% changes daily before the aq salt.

Before readding anyone make sure your divider is secure since either of them can kill each other.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

You'll want more plants and hiding places for both of your bettas as well. The small patch of plants on either side is not enough, which may be stressed them out and causing the male to bit his fins. Some gravel or ground cover might help them feel more secure too.

As far as him looking the same, he may or may not depending on whether he allows his fins to regrow and sometimes they don't always turn out the same anyway. He should have the same fin type if it grows back out though.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #10 
beasley

sorry i didnt fill this out first just realized it

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gal
What temperature is your tank? not sure. but i live in southern california
Does your tank have a filter? no but some live plants anacharis.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no.
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?one other female w. a divider in middle . so 5 gal each

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?tetra color flakes till i get paid then some pellets & omega one freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day. maybe twice

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly around 50%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? api tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, I haven't.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? tail is shredded :'(
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?still active but not as much bubble nests
When did you start noticing the symptoms?this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?i quarantined everyone other than that no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope just got him a week or 2 ago @local mom&pops store.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure.