Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #1 
Yaoilover12397

Some help please?

So, I have a 29 Gallon Oceanic Bio-Cube. Show here
http://www.petco.com/product/106669/...-Aquarium.aspx

I've read a little bit on the site and have my local petstore ordering in some Cherry Shrimp and figure I'll get 1-3 and put them in with the Male Betta I plan to buy. So I have this big tank and don't know what other kinds of fish to buy as well as maybe other fish compatiable friends. Any ideas?
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #2 
roarsirroar

hah! you have the same question as me! :D
sorry if you were expecting an answer...i just wanted to point that out lol.
roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #3 
Loralyn94

Bettas don't have to be in tank with tank mates, but i understand wanting to add more fish to a large aquarium. The cherry shrimp are good, I've never had any, but many people on here have. Ghost shrimp are good as well, though depending on the betta they may try to bully them. Neon tetras are good, though they can fin nip so watch out for the betta and they are schooling fish so 4+ is a must, but 6+ is better. Snails are good too, I have a mystery snail and love it, other types of snails I dont know much about, except for research them well before getting one because some become more of a pest than a pet. Cory catfish are also something that many betta keepers will put in with their fish, though as far as personal experience with these, I dont have any.
Also, not really a fish, but moss balls are fun, they will move and follow light occasionally and your shrimp will love to clean them.

EDIT: I feel that two other things need mentioning, one is that when adding fish to a tank only add them in three's or it may cause major and unhealthy fluctuations in the bioload as well as when adding fish, know that bettas can be agressive and may not always tolerate other fish well so always have a back up plan in case things go south (this is kinda two things, but hey...). Second NEVER put another betta in the tank, whether it be male or female. Neither males or female and male will live together, they will fight and you will end up with dead/injured fish.

Last edited by Loralyn94; 08-12-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #4 
Yaoilover12397

So I've heard about sororitys and all. What exactly is that? How does it work and whats the pros of that to just having a male?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #5 
masshiimarro

sororities are female betta groups, bascially. they are usually housed at least 5 together. the reason you usually dont house less than 5 together is that if there are more fish, it spreads out the agression so that one particular fish doesnt keep getting picked on. they establish a heirarchy and live like that. there is initial nipping and flaring, but there should never be a full-on fight. if that happens, then you may need to take out the aggressor. the pro is that its the only way to really safely keep betta species together, and who wouldnt enjoy seeing a group of colorful bettas in their tank? :D
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #6 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoilover12397 View Post
So I've heard about sororitys and all. What exactly is that? How does it work and whats the pros of that to just having a male?
I dont have any personal experience with them, but do toy with the idea daily of wanting one.

They are were multiple female bettas live together in a single tank, usually i believe they recommend at least four but 5-6 being better. From what i understand, they are not an easy task and take a lot of preparation and care and theres multiple things you have to do to prepare the tank such as cycling. Also they involve keeping a close eye on the tank for a while as they may fight and you will have to remove the problem fish.

Sororities are not something to do on a whim and especially if you've not been keeping bettas for a while. Before even really thinking about setting them up, you need to do A LOT of research. I think theres a sticky on here somewhere that tells more about them, but in all honesty I would try your had at keeping a single male before attempting a sorority. With a single fish, theres a lot more wiggle room and it's not nearly as stressful and it lets you get your feet wet before jumping into a huge project.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #7 
Yaoilover12397

I agree with you Loralyn. I think I'll start my betta with just one male betta fish and maybe some other fishies to go with him. Maybe in a year or two I'll be ready to try a Sorority. I know when I was a little kid we had tons of Betta fish and my mom bred them and sold them to our local pet shop whos owner is a family friend.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #8 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoilover12397 View Post
I agree with you Loralyn. I think I'll start my betta with just one male betta fish and maybe some other fishies to go with him. Maybe in a year or two I'll be ready to try a Sorority. I know when I was a little kid we had tons of Betta fish and my mom bred them and sold them to our local pet shop whos owner is a family friend.
Sounds like a good idea. If I at all came off the wrong way, I'm sorry, but I just hate seeing people who dont know exactly what there doing try to take on a project like a sorority (not saying that you would/were going to). Its bad for both the person and the fish, no ones happy in that scenario. Its just so many people in general, not just on here think bettas are easy fish and that since one went well, starting a sorority will be easy.

So you do have somewhat of a background in bettas? Thats awesome that your mom used to breed them, my sister used to as well and thats were i got my first one from many years ago. :)
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #9 
Yaoilover12397

You didn't come off in a bad way at all Loralyn. I just wanted to clarify.

I guess you could say I have a background in Bettas. When we moved to the house I'm living in now, I was almost five so like eleven years ago. We moved right infront of my dads card playing buddy/golf buddy who owned the local pet store called Mutts and Butts. Oddly enough it does not sell dogs. It sells all types of pet equipment from things for dogs to cats to birds to fish to bunnies to snakes to hermit crabs and other animals as well. Live pets they sell fish(Salt and Freshwater), hermit crabs, mice, some small reptiles and snakes, bunnies and some guina pigs plus hamsters. So when I was five and my brother was eight we wanted some fishes and so my mother got us each a betta and well. We weren't really able to take care of them right so my mother did most of it and over the course of four years we had tons of fishes although we always had bettas, from a time we had little eels, baby turtles and some frogs to. My mother bred the bettas and would sell them to Mutts and Butts and when I was about 9 she just suddenly stopped. She'd been doing it for four years and as a little kid I was so wrapped up in sports, play dates and such I was sad to see them go but not enough to risk a fight with my mom. So now I asked to get back into the fish world and for my 16th birthday my friend planned to get me a betta since she recently got one. When I went to okay it with my mom so she wouldn't freak out she decided we should go to Mutts and Butts and get the best tank we could find for me and a good size one and I should get some critters to go with it, I ordered 1 cherry shrimp and am thinking of when I go in tommrow to get some more gravel ordering a mystery snail, I will most likely go with my friend to the pet store on wensday because they get their new freshwater fish on tuesday. I will then pick out my little boy :3 I have an idea of some names and possibly what color and tail type I want for my fish but it's all luck of the draw on who catches my eye when I go.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #10 
Loralyn94

Good to know :) its always hard to tell how people take what you say over the internet, so sometimes i feel its good to check.

Sounds like you've got a good plan though for your tank, once you add your shrimp, snail, and betta I'd wait a week or so, make sure everyone is okay with each other and then you could start looking into other fish. With a 29 gallon you've got room to have several fish types, but still be careful of over stocking (about 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of tank).

Betta's are really fun fish, theyve all go their own personalities and quirks. And like you said, when you go to choose one, you may have an idea of what you want, but usually thats not what you get.