Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Who would be best?
Spot 5 20.83%
Dot 19 79.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #21 
Abby

I hope this is useful its close up of some of my girls tails, some some the rays branching.
Name:  Ailie and Lexi tails.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  Ailie and Lexi tails2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  Ailies tail.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  Ailies tail2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  Raynes tail.jpg
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  Raynes tail2.jpg
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  Rayne (4).jpg
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  Lexi (2).jpg
Size:  54.1 KB

PS: see my marbling Rayne compare the two tails of Rayne
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #22 
Bettawolf19

Anything. The basicas to the more severe I suppose. Mostly I want healthy and strong fish at first and want to avoid and see what tails and fry I will have to cull.
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #23 
Abby

the fry you wont really be able to tell on the tail for a bit due to the size and lots need to "grow" into their tails.
if you have a tail type in mind like CT and you put a vt and ct together VT i the dominate tail most fry will be VT.
In breeding a CT and a CT i cant remember exactly i think i read somewhere to breed a ct to hm for the webbing or spread urgh my brain is fried!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #24 
Bettawolf19

Is there any preventions you can use to avoid death of the spawn parents.Just keep them in tip top shape correct? Also can you put the tank under a shelf of sorts? Like maybe I'm thinking under my 30 gal so they can have the darkness in there however it is on the floor. Hmm Which would be best?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #25 
Myates

I was rooting for Dot, but something about Spot just makes me go awww...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #26 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
First don't be so quick to judge.

I used that picture because it shows his fins. He's currently in a 5 gal filtered with live plants. And before you start getting all angry with me. I also have 3 10 gals and 1 20 gal and 1 30 gal. Also I have been researching for the past few months which is why I am asking which would be best mostly for form because I'm planning on doing this in a few months when all are at their top points. I also have frozen brine shrimp and gonna order some live food soon. So please don't automatically assume I don't know how to care for my betta fish seeing Oscar's picture was over a year ago when I first got him and I wasn't joined onto here and thus didn't know any better. Also if you read carefully I stated that they were new aka I just got them from the store so of course they probably have finrot.

Now that I cleared that up anyone have any suggestions? Mostly I was figuring Dot because of the better spread and less damage but with tender care both would be good though Dot still holds the better coloring.
No one is judging you, you did not say you had tanks, based off of the pictures is how we are helping you.
Please be careful breeding though, male bettas are better bred young, and Im guessing your guy is a pet sotre betta which would make him at least two.
Ok... I was just letting you know it looked like they had finrot, you did not post, these are the females, they have finrot so I am treating for that BEFORE I breed

From what I have heard, female bettas should be chosen based off of fin shape.... so I have to agree with using Dot
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #27 
Sakura8

Bettawolf, I think the best prevention of death of the parents is watching and knowing the signs of when the romance is over. That website you posted last night had great tips about when to tell things were finished. Basically, watch for the male to start chasing the female away or to become more aggressive with her. As soon as that happens, get her out. Also during the courtship process to watch and see if the female shows the signs of being willing to breed and if she doesn't, to remove her before the male gets frustrated.

I know GunsABlazing has her spawn tank on or near the floor. As long as it's warm and clean, I think being on the floor is okay but I'm definitely no breeding expert so you probably want to ask for a second opinion.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #28 
Sweeda88

I've never even seen a post of her's before, so I had no frame of reference. Next time, please consider telling people that that is NOT the tank you have them in. It might prevent us from jumping to conclusions.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #29 
Bettawolf19

@LittleBettas It was my fault for not putting things on here mostly because I was thinking the people int he thread would most likely be looking at it and they know of all my tanks. Spot I know for a fact has finrot however i'm gonna start her on just plain nice and clean water and if doesn't go away i'm prepared with salts.

@sakura Ya I was gonna do that. I just was reading on some stories that the female/male can die from the stress of the breeding. But they do have their own tanks they will be going in after. Most likely a smaller 3 gal just so I can keep up with the chages easier. I was just thinking if they are on the floor there would be less distractions because of the 3 sides blocking.

@Sweeda Again with my comment to LittleBetta above. It was my fault for not stating before I mostly figured it was just gonna be the people from the thread I normally post in. But I have Oscar a 5 gal hex that is filtered(and I do believe cycled) but not heated as the water stays at 78F because of the filter. It kinda sucked that I posted this before I went out so I wasn't able to get on and edit it. Though it did cross my mind that people would jump on me because of Oscar's picture but I figured with my signiture it would at least help. I was wrong of course but yes I got everything right now except the betta jars and a submersible heater for the 10 gal because the heater I got is not submersible and the live food.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #30 
Sakura8

Bettawolf, if you make sure both parents are as healthy as can be before breeding, then hopefully stress won't get to them. How old is Oscar again?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote