Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #1 
TheCheese909

My PetSmart has a Dragon who is missing an eye and..

Okay, i'm in southern California and there is a PetSmart not too far from my home.
They have a really pretty DragonScale Betta (i can't recall the colours at the moment, i haven't been in in a few days) who is missing his right eye and seems to have cataracts on his left eye. I think he's able to see out of his left a little, but I wasn't able to hang out with him too much to tell for sure. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and only stopped by to look at the bettas because... i.. am addicted.

Anyway.. I was wondering if I were able to buy him would there be any way to help his.. 'good' eye, the only one he has, get any better? I don't think any medication would help him.. And would it be wise to buy him? I just felt bad for the guy, I don't know how well he would fare in a little Betta MiniBow (what I would put him in) if he can't see. Seeing as how he's used to a little cup right now and there isn't anything for him to run into.

Does anyone else have a blind Betta? How could you take care of one like that? I don't want him to get stuck on the little filter in the tank, but I wouldn't want to put him in a unfiltered vase either. And do you think he would be able to find his food very well if he was indeed blind? All my bettas right now go by sight of their food to know its food time rather then.. 'sniffing' it out.

Any suggestions? I just feel bad for the guy. Do you think there is any chance they might just give him to me? lol. That would be great.

Last edited by TheCheese909; 08-12-2011 at 05:25 AM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #2 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
Any suggestions? I just feel bad for the guy. Do you think there is any chance they might just give him to me? lol. That would be great.
It is worth asking them! I mean, if they don't, then he will die and just be marked off on a list anyways... so I don't see why they wouldn't let you try and save him.

I work at Walmart in the pet section, and I am having my fair share of "I wish I could save them all.", but the reality is you can't. So if you end up unable to get the fish, don't let it bother your conscious.

The last time I went into Petco, I seen one dead Betta as soon as I got there. By the time I left, three more had passed. It is terrible but to most people fish are just "fish", and there are so many in the sea
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #3 
Findlay

I say get him! It seems like he's really tugging on your heart strings.

It's pretty amazing how well animals with disabilities can adapt. I think as long as he is healthy otherwise, he should be fine with a filter. He may be partially or even completely blind, but he's not stupid
Give him a chance and watch out for him.

Ask a manager if you can 'adopt' him for free. I have done that a few times. I got a tail-less fantail goldfish and a rat (sweetest one I ever had) that way. Just sayin.
It's worth the try, for sure.

Just putting in my two cents.
I hope someone with more technical info comes along to help ya and answer your other questions.
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #4 
Hisaki Yuki001

I have a Betta named Yaoi that isn't blind, but I've noticed lately that he has very bad eyesight to the point that he has a very hard time finding his food. I suspect that part of my guys reason for the eye problems is that he has some coloring that reaches over 1/3 in one eye and 1/2 in the other. Due to it, when I feed him, I'll let him go after the pellet. After a few tries though, if he doesn't get it and it goes out of his eyesight, I'll push it back over, right in front of him until he sees it. After doing this a few times he usually will get it.

I would suggest if he's completely blind to try what I do first and see if he can find the food. If he can't find it and just seems to search his tank, remove all the uneaten food. I would use his cup as a feeding bowl and place him in it each time you feed him. This way you can sprinkle a few pellets or crushed flakes in his bowl and allow him to search for them for a while. I'd give him enough time to search and find the food that he's after, probably about 5-10 minutes or so. After that, you could then place him back in his tank and dump the water in his cup and uneaten food down the drain and rinse it out for next time. I would think after a while of doing this, the little guy would get used to using his sense of smell to find his food. Goodluck. ^_^

Also, as far as the tank setup goes, he should be fine with a setup like any other Betta. The only thing you'll want to do different though, if he is truly blind, is never change around the decorations or plants at all, unless it's completely neccesary. If you do have to take them out, try to place them in the tank almost exactly how they where. This is because, after a while, your little guy will get used to the way his home is, and could potentially make a mental map of where everything's at. If things are moved around to much, it could cause more stress than usual on him when he's trying to re-settle in. ^_^

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 08-12-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #5 
LittleBettas

I have hear of people with blind bettas, the buy feeding rings, the ring attaches to the side of the tank so the betta always knows where his food will end up, if you were to get him and stick to a VERY strict feeding schedual (put a pellet in the ring at 7am and another at 8pm) then eventually he would know when to expect it, another way is to get his attention, I have two bettas with fin damage (one actually has almost NO fins),because of this both have trouble swimming and "balancing" to get food in their mouth, so, I tap the water twice to get their attention to the top of the water, then, when they are swimming to the top, I drop the pellet near their head, there are still instances when Finn or Herc, my fin damaged bettas, will not be able to situate theirselves in a way to get a pellet, I now crush up Finns pellets and feed him twice as much since he has more trouble (no fins) and half of the pellet pieces fall to the bottom
Hercules, I often will move his pellet while hes trying to grab it so it is easier.
Its surprising how adaptable these guys can be
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #6 
Hisaki Yuki001

If that doesn't work, I would try placing him in his cup and instead of sprinkling food in there, you could attach it to the end of a toothpick. This would allow you to place the pellet right in front of his nose. You could even slightly, but gently, tap his nose with the pellet after a few seconds to see if he'll bite at it. If he instead, just runs away, this method might not work. I know it sounds funny, but it might work though. XD

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 08-12-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #7 
TheCheese909

Thank you so much. I think I might go by there tomorrow and see about getting him. If I do (hopefully he's still there) i'll put up some pictures of him as well.

The food ring is probably a really good idea if he isn't completely blind, that way I won't have to turn off his filter every time i go to feed him. The MiniBow has a small filter on it, but it makes a fairly strong current at the top so the food moves around like crazy. But if he is completely blind I think taking him out and putting him in his cup to feed him is a great idea, i never even thought of that.

My red boy, Psych is very much a pampered primadonna, he'll only eat one kind of pellet and will only eat them if i point each and every single one of them out to him with either my finger or a pair of tweezers. He can see just fine, but he likes the attention I think. (He occasionally lets me pet him as well) I have 5 Bettas right now and he gets upset if I don't go say hi to him first in the morning.

So, i'm used to taking my time with them and taking care of any needs they might have.

I guess i'll head over tomorrow afternoon sometime and check to make sure he is still there. Last time I was there (about 2 days ago) i found a dead guy pushed in the back (they have them on a single shelf) that i had to point out to them. I don't want that to happen to this guy. I know most people grab these guys as 'spur of the moment' fish because they are in cups that you don't need help to get exc. And they always want the healthiest ones.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #8 
Hisaki Yuki001

True true.... That's another good reason to get him. I'd hate the thought of some kid or someone naive getting him, bringing him home and just throwing food in there once to twice a day. It would be even worse if that person didn't even realize that he has seeing problems. I'm so glade you'll be getting him. ^_^ Good luck. Can't wait to see pics. ^_^

I also do the same thing, pointing out their food to my guys when I fed them. lol! I hate having to fish out anything they didn't eat just because they didn't see it. As fare as jealously goes, my Indigo is like that. He'll even start to display stress stripes if I don't give him enough attention throughout the day...Lol!

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 08-12-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #9 
guardianfyre

If the store is following correct policy, the fish should be free. PetSmart is supposed to adopt out any "defective" animals. This means that fish with missing eyes, fins, or any other type of deformity should be given to whoever wants them. Other animals too.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #10 
Foisair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisaki Yuki001 View Post
He'll even start to display stress stripes if I don't give him enough attention throughout the day...Lol!
What do stress stripes look like? I know bettas can loose some of their color or fade if their unhealthy. I didn't know they get stripes? And is it something that all bettas display if they're stressed?
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote