Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #1 
crezelda

i think i asked this before, but here goes again-when "rescueing" becomes a proffit

ive seen so many posts of people " rescueing" a poor, sickly, pathetic looking betta, kept in horrible horrible conditions by horrible horrible people...by BUYING them....
i'm not a phsycology student, but i can see a big flaw in this pattern.
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Alot of people don't seem to like it because they say it only continues the cycle. I don't see it that way though. My walmart is going to continue to sell fish weather I buy one or not. They loose $$ on fish deaths every week and yet the still sell them. I honestly do not think it will make any difference on weather I spend $5 on the fish or not. Granted the ones I get have issues but are not about to croak. Its usually fin or swim bladder issues or ammonia burns. Nothing too nasty.

To be honest, walmart gets some nice looking ones in IF you go on a day they get the shipment in.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

I am one of the few on here who will agree with you. I buy my Bettas, I save them and give them great homes. But I support the Monsters that do it too. I do not rescue Bettas. Someone said it once... "Rescuing means removing an animal and not allowing the abuse to continue" which I agree with. But you're gonna have a lot of black and white on here. I have no issue with where people get their fish, I do have an issue with the word "rescue" being used to loosely. It's like a slap in the face for those who work so so hard with and in rescue. But... that's just my personal opinion and not shared by everyone.

Here's some good readings for you: Don't shoot me please! Rescuing Bettas?

Personally, if there was another option (local breeder or Bettas in need) they would get my money first. But I want Bettas, and it's my only option. So the ones I take home always need my help, I usually pick the sickest in the store (and usually get a discount ;) )

Last edited by Pitluvs; 08-13-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #4 
Jrf456

I agree.

A rescue would be finding a betta flopping in a puddle in someones front yard that a jerk dumped into, and you were able to save.

Buying a betta with dirty water or fin-rot isn't a rescue, it's a purchase.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #5 
fightergirl2710

We've had the conversation before, we already know there isn't a yes or no to this.. Everyone has different opinions about it and that isn't changing anytime soon. I don't see a point in discussing it all over again. :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #6 
CodeRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
We've had the conversation before, we already know there isn't a yes or no to this.. Everyone has different opinions about it and that isn't changing anytime soon. I don't see a point in discussing it all over again. :)
Agreed. These conversations always tend to stir up a lot of arguments. If you want to look at past conversations about it there IS a search option. I'm sure you'll find plenty to fuel your interests. Just remember to keep 'em dead!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Personally, if there was another option (local breeder or Bettas in need) they would get my money first. But I want Bettas, and it's my only option.
Yeah same here. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Granted there are about 75,000 people here but it's in the middle of nowhere. The nearest city is Anchorage and that is 500 miles south of here. If I want pet supplies for my chinchilla, I HAVE to get it from petco. No place else has food for her. It's not like I can boycott the place. Ordering online costs WAY to much to ship. Same with fish. It's either petco or walmart and walmart is the lesser of two evils which I find is rather sad.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #8 
cgchad

Sorry if this gets long winded.
I am going to interject on this by using some non-betta comparisons.

First is the word "Rescue". I know this word all too well because of my involvement with the Coast Guard. A rescue is any action taken by an individual or group, to prevent the loss of life or property. It does not always mean that the loss of life or property is eminent. It only means if you don't do something, that the loss is possible.
Arguably, by applying a very loose interpretation, every betta purchased from a chain store is then a rescue. Simple logic dictates that without intervention from someone, those little betta's will die in a shorter time than if they were re-homed and given proper care. We have all seen the dirty water, over feeding, or otherwise in-humane conditions that these fish are kept in at chain stores.

Second, is the conditions that they are kept in.
This is simple economics. The sheer cost for the chain stores to properly house and care for these beautiful fish would create so much overhead, that this cost would have to be absorbed by passing it on to the consumer. This would make the $2 to $15 Betta's that we see in the chain stores, potentially cost $30 to $80. Thus putting them out of the cost range that many of us can afford. In turn, we would lose out on the ability to enjoy them in the privacy of our own homes. These chain stores are not zoo's they are businesses, and everything is driven by profit. Believe it or not, there is not much of a profit margin with any of the pets that the chains sell. The pets themselves are considered a "seed". By giving you a little information about the pets they sell, you will naturally be driven toward the purchase of items to properly care for these pets on your own. That's where the profits are.

In a larger picture, Betta's are viewed by corporations, as a "starter fish". They will lure you in with the inexpensive cost of the fish, sell you the progressively more expensive items necessary for the care of this fish, with the full knowledge that once you have purchased these items, and your "starter fish" has died, you will have such a large investment that you will come back to purchase other pets in the same category. The proper care for these "upgraded fish", will then lead you to purchase even more expensive accessories to care for these "upgraded fish", as a result a cycle is formed.

In reality it is a cycle that can not be broken, nor should it be encouraged to be broken. That's another topic as to why entirely, and based even more into economics and the ripple effect.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by cgchad; 08-13-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Clarification: I am not justifying the conditions, or lack of care, just explaining the "why" of it.
cgchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

I also agree - not a rescue, but more of a pity/sympathy purchase. You are saving the fish's life, but you aren't really truly rescuing.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

I'm unsubbing because I find this so unnecessary.. There's never going to be a definite answer to this.. :/
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote