Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 02:39 AM   #1 
kirby13580

Im a murderer!!!

All my bettas die... i think i murder them... i think i should give up. what should i do.............?
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Awwh.

I killed my first 5 till I figured out how not to kill them. I think all of them died from nitrogen or ammonia poisining. I had the filter going but I didnt know about the whole cycling thing.

How often did you change the water?
Do you use conditioner?
Heater?

If they only lived a few days, its possible they were sick when you got them too.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:57 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

My first two didn't last a week :( So, I went out and got a healthy new betta (shipment came in) and got everything brand new and devoted myself to keeping him alive. He did get ammonia poisoning on me, and I was able to treat and cure him. Now I have 5 boys, and I have no fear in owning Bettas. 3/5 of my boys came here sick, and they are fine now. You'll get there. I promise!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #4 
Jrf456

OH GOSH, YOU POOR THING.

I know how it feels. I started out with bad information saying it would be okay to have a sorority in a 5g tank..

They all, but one, my girl Heather, had passed away. Heather now lives in her own 1g!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #5 
TexasCichlid

Don't overfeed, routine water changes, Prime water conditioner. Pretty much all you need to do.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #6 
marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Don't overfeed, routine water changes, Prime water conditioner. Pretty much all you need to do.
There is a lot of information in so few words, I almost lost mine for the same reasons and thought I was doing everything right. Water changes, water changes, water changes!!!! Don't try to fix things with chemicals, just change the water. My little guy showed great improvement with just water changes alone. I too thought he was going to die but much to their pedigree they're fighters till the end. You can't always save them, but once you learn what not to do... early signs of a problem... and gain experience on how to treat them they'll thank you for it. I know my little guy couldn't be happier. I'm so lucky to have him, he has a strong will to live and be happy.

Water volume is your friend with any fish, so if you are using a smaller aquarium, consider getting a larger tank or doing more frequent water changes. This forum will help keep your betta alive when you're not sure what to do.

In the end, don't give up. They will fight just as hard as you do, if not harder.
marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #7 
cajunamy
Banned

Do you have a test kit?
How big a home are you giving them, and what are you putting in there with them?
What is your water change schedule?
Do they have a filter and heater?
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Hang in there Kirby! You're not a murderer, it's okay. Fishkeeping is trial and error and sadly there's a lot of misinformation out there. You're doing the right thing by posting for help. Don't worry, with us helping you, you'll do better with your next betta.

Also, there are lots of other reasons why your fish may have died, such as the conditions they were kept in at the pet store. A lot of pet store bettas are sick but they don't show it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #9 
TwilightNite

You can so it, I know it is really hard and frustrating......... I feel your pain, my fish Skye has fin rot and dose not like water changes and he wile his is in the net he will jump out and land on the floor and there is nothing I can do about the fact that he jumps out, and now he is raggy but with a little perseverance and devotion you CAN keep your Betta's alive, just how I am trying with my fish, you are not a murderer, YOU CAN DO IT!
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #10 
kirby13580

well, my first fish was when i was five, and he died of popeye, my second one , idk, my 3rd, idk either. and i have one alive.
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote