Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #1 
Fishehgobloop

Sick Fishies?

So I have a 10 gal aquarium (lovingly nicknamed Worldbuscus after one of my favorite youtubers' game videos). I had 6 female bettas in it (along with a plecostomus and a few algae eaters because the tank got yucky for a minute) and two of my females got sick and died. One (Spyro) was a little purple girl who I have no idea what happened to. She just started to lose all her color, so I took her out and put her in a smaller "hospital" tank and she seemed to be getting better, and the next day I found her dead :( The other (Samara) was a little different. She got all lethargic and started laying in the plant leaves and not coming over ot say hi when i walked over to turn on their light in the mornings. Usually she was one of the first to greet me when she was feeling good (mostly because she wanted food. She was a lil piggy lol). Anyways. I took her out of the aquarium and put her on a spot above my dest where there is a light and it gets really warm, after a friend said she might have been cold. My tank sits usually at about 72-75 degrees, which I THOUGHT was a comfortable temperature for the fish, from what I read and stuff. Anyways. She remained lethargic and nonresponsive. Well, today she pineconed just before i had to go to work (which was sucky timing cause i had to leave) so I sent my friend to PetSmart for some meds for Dropsy (because I'm pretty sure that's what it was). Samara died before my friend got the meds to her.
ANYWAYS the whole point of that is to ask this: Are my other fish going to die? I took them out of the aquarium, and put them in a clean tank and put partial dosages of the meds in it (one, Mini Samara is in a container to herself because she has a very round stomach, much like Samara did -.-) I read up on dropsy and I can't, for the life of me tell if its contageous. And it doesnt help that 2 out of my 4 girls have large abdomens. One of the other two is just a big fish and the other is normal sized. I think Mini Samara and Leona just eat too much (i only feed them once every other day either pellets or bloodworms) and the two of them hog the food. -.- So did Samara which is why I didnt know she was sick till she started getting lethargic and nonresponsive.
Anyways. I wont be able to change the water in my aquarium till Sunday, cause I work tomorrow (Saturday) and cleaning my aquarium means vacuuming the gravel/sand and washing the plants (and fishing out the plecostomus which takes a lil time and patience cause that sucker is FAST)
[[No pun intended lol]]

(A little background on me since this is my first post. I joined cause my friend found you guys and showed me this site. She (thecheese909) found you amusing and knowledgeable. We both have taken a liking to fish, Bettas in particular. I have 5 Boys (Toby my blue Veiltail, Spider my black and red crowntail, Nufish a blue/green/red crowntail and actually belongs to cheese i just have him, Zephyr a gorgeous white/black/indigo Veiltail, and Agrippa a white/blue/green Doubletail) 6 Girls (Jaws or Shark Bait as we nicknamed her who is white with tan/copper/black flecks and black fins, Mini Samara who is a Crowntail female blue/green/rose colored, Leona a white Veiltail with aqua colored fins, Seraphim is a green/red Veiltail, and Azrael who is my red and green Veiltail that I have to keep seperate because she hates everyone but Nufish who loves her. She just ignores him. xD I also have a small (teeney tiney miniscule microscopic [[not really but she is very small]] little Veiltail who is white with orange fins that I called Itty Bitty (but, for small reasons she is kept entirely seperate from everyone so she stays alive and well). I also have 4 tetras and another plecostomus in a 5 gallon tank seperate from my bettas because the tetras are mean little instigators who make my bettas fight -.-
Anyways. If it isnt obvious, I love fish. xD Bettas are my favorite but Ive had guppies before too. I think I have an addiction, but I can't help it. This is the first time I've ever had an actual aquarium. I usually keep my bettas in 1 gal bowls (decorative vases purchased at Wal*Mart usually suffice) and do water changes 1-2 times a week as needed. I feed my bettas (all of them) once every other day pellets or bloodworms (or both). I have flakes and the girls eat them (with the exception of Itty Bitty) but they seem to like the other foods better. I'm in the process of moving my bettas to filtered tanks as they are easier to care for and my fish seem happier in them).

Ooookay. Anyways. Any input on the sick fish situation is GREATLY appreciated. I dont want anymore of my fish to die. It really toys with my emotions, since I seem to have developed an emotinal attatchment to everyone of them. xD
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #2 
dragonflie

How long has your 10g been set up? Was it cycled when you added the fish?

That being said...your tank is way overstocked. In my opinion the 6 girls alone would have put your tank at what I would consider a little on the over full side. And while I know little about plecos, I don't know of any that stay small enough to live in a 10g. They are also very messy..and require heavy filtration. What are the other algae eaters that you mentioned?

Keeping a 10g cycle stable can be a challenge. One little thing can throw it off. You mentioned pulling the plants and cleaning them. I'm not sure why you would want to do this; because while most of the nitrifying bacteria indeed live on filter media, there are also colonies on all other surfaces in the tank; and given the sensitivity I mentioned of a 10g cycle you don't ever want to overclean, or you can disrupt the cycle.

I know you've provided a fair amount of information already, but it would help if you could copy/paste and fill out the sticky so everyone can take a closer look. :)

And, welcome to the site!

Last edited by dragonflie; 08-13-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: grammar failure
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 
TheCheese909

Dragonflie, here's a C&P from another thread we recently talked at. There was some debate about her having too many fish in the aquarium but there is more then enough room in there for everyone.

"It kinda seems that way doesn't it? The eaters and the sucker fish are all very very small right now. And yes, plans have been made for when they grow larger. I've heard horror stories about how giant plecos have chased and trapped other fish in aquariums and ate them. :\ But right now they are all very little and two of the algae eaters are supposed to be in another tank. They were put in awhile ago after failed attempts at getting the water to clear up came about. They have since made it super clear.

The girls in the tank are all so very even tempered and mellow, they don't fight with each other and they even tolerate the occasional eater coming up to 'groom' them. They even mimic the eaters on the glass sometimes until they get bored. Very funny to watch.

There is a fair amount of plants and hiding spaces in the tank so the eaters and the sucker fish can be hidden most of the time. And the girls do their own thing, they go and do their own thing like play in the air bubbles, but they all come to the surface when you put your finger in the water, they actually like to be pet."

The algae eaters are these guys:

http://goldfishwiki.com/images/fish/AlgaeEater2.jpg

I believe they were bought at PetSmart. They are little tiny guys.

The reason she pulled the plants (all fake) was because everything in there had become filthy almost overnight. She had tried changing the pad on the filter exc., but it didn't help so she did a full clean sweep of the place and made it much much better. The water was still slightly cloudy but the filter took care of that.

She's mainly wondering if her other girls will get Dropsy as well. Spyro, we don't know what happened to her, but Samara seemed to have issues for awhile with her stomach being bigger then it should be, but then she decreased her feeding and she seemed to have gotten better. Only recently had she started to sit in the plants and act lethargic.
Samara ended up passing away only a few hours after she was taken out of the tank and medicated with Betta Revive, by Hikari because that was all that was on hand.

She's worried about Mini Samara who has also always seemed to have a bit of a belly on her as well. All the girls have been taken out of the aquarium and have been put in a type of critter keeper. Mini Samara has been moved into a different bowl by herself for incase if Dropsy is contagious. Which is the main question she wants answered.

Mini is being treated with Maracyn-Two, which is supposed to help get rid of Dropsy and other issues.

Last edited by TheCheese909; 08-13-2011 at 05:50 PM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

As dragonflie has posted.....the most likely cause of death of the two Bettas was directly related to an overstock and poorly stock tank and its just a matter of time before all the fish are sick and/or dead unless it is fixed........

When you stock a tank-you stock it based on the adult size of the fish not the current size......you have to look at social needs, territory, chemistry, temp needs, compatibility, behavior...etc.......

In a 10gal filtered tank-6 females are the limit....pleco and CAE are both poor choices for 10gal tanks and to be housed with Bettas....both of these fish diet changes as they mature-they stop eating algae and start looking for protein usually in the form of the slime coat of slow moving fish and this damages the slime coat opening the fish up to infection and death....that cute behavior of the sucker fish sucking on the Betta is harmful to your Betta and its a matter of time before you see the result........

It is normal and expected to see algae in a container of water that has both light and nutrient, however, excessive algae is a sign of other problems...usually due to the lack of proper water changes and manual removal on a regular basis, overstocking, overfeeding, wrong light, lights on too long or not long enough...the list goes on........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #5 
Fishehgobloop

Housing
What size is your tank?: 10 Gal
What temperature is your tank?: right now.... Its hangin between 72 and 75 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter?: Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: Yes
Is your tank heated?: No, but I'm working on that.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: I have 4 betta girls, 4 (soon to be 2 as soon as I get everything cleared up) algae eaters, and a small plecostomus.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: A mix of Aqueon betta pellets and top fin color enhanging pellets, freeze-dried blood worms, and once in a while Tetra BettaMin tropical crisps (flake food).
How often do you feed your betta fish?: Once every other day, changing it up so they dont get too much of one food and once in a while (like once a month) i give them frozen blood worms.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?: Once a week i do 25% and once a month i vacuum the gravel and do a 50%-75% change.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: See Above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Top Fin water conditioner, and as of recently Tetra Easy Balance to maintain the water chemistry, and API aquarium salt (I have a little glass container that I put it in and I refill it when I change the water). I also use Aqueon water clarifier when needed (which has only been twice in nearly 3 months) and I have Tetra Algae control that I've never used.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
(Ive never tested.... I havent bought the water tester kit yet i know. I need to. It's on the list of things to do along with a heater).

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: None of my remaining fish have shown any signs of being sick. Mini Samara has a belly that I can't get rid of, and Leona is kind of big but she doesnt appear bloated like Mini. Jaws (Shark Bait), and Seraphim are the same as always.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: Not. Everyone is still all happy and friendly like usual.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: See Below;
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: Samara was always big in the abdominal area but she started acting lethargic on Wednesday this week, not responding to me and laying in the plant leaves. I took her out and put her in a seperate jar and on Friday, she pineconed and died, which led me to believe she had Dropsy, so I took out all 4 of my remaining bettas, isolated Mini Samara in her own bowl, and put the others in a QT tank all with Maracin Two, and I gave partial dosages into my Boys' tanks since I use the same net on everyone (YES, I rinse it with hot hot hot water between fish).
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: NO
How old is your fish (approximately)?: Samara was about 4 months old, as a rough estimate. I had her for nearly 3 months. Everyone else (Except Jaws) is about that old. Seraphim Ive only had for 3 weeks...

Ok. *points* i filled out the list. My biggest problem at the moment is I want to know if my fish are all gonna get Dropsy and die. As for how crowded the tank is it's a 10 gal with 4 bettas and 3 other fish as soon as I put the bettas back in. (2 of the algae eaters are in with the tetras now). If you give 1 gal per fish that's plenty of space for everyone, i believe. I'm fully aware that the plecostomus is going to get huge, and I've plans to sell him and get a smaller one LONG before he starts looking to my bettas as food. Same thing with the algae eaters. But, like I said, my main worry RIGHT NOW is the question of Dropsy and how contageous it is.
Everything else I can fix. Y'all have to realise this is my very first community tank so I really dont know everything, even though i DID do my reading before I added anything to the tank.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #6 
Snappyarcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishehgobloop View Post
Housing
What size is your tank?: 10 Gal
What temperature is your tank?: right now.... Its hangin between 72 and 75 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter?: Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: Yes
Is your tank heated?: No, but I'm working on that.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: I have 4 betta girls, 4 (soon to be 2 as soon as I get everything cleared up) algae eaters, and a small plecostomus.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: A mix of Aqueon betta pellets and top fin color enhanging pellets, freeze-dried blood worms, and once in a while Tetra BettaMin tropical crisps (flake food).
How often do you feed your betta fish?: Once every other day, changing it up so they dont get too much of one food and once in a while (like once a month) i give them frozen blood worms.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?: Once a week i do 25% and once a month i vacuum the gravel and do a 50%-75% change.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: See Above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Top Fin water conditioner, and as of recently Tetra Easy Balance to maintain the water chemistry, and API aquarium salt (I have a little glass container that I put it in and I refill it when I change the water). I also use Aqueon water clarifier when needed (which has only been twice in nearly 3 months) and I have Tetra Algae control that I've never used.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
(Ive never tested.... I havent bought the water tester kit yet i know. I need to. It's on the list of things to do along with a heater).

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: None of my remaining fish have shown any signs of being sick. Mini Samara has a belly that I can't get rid of, and Leona is kind of big but she doesnt appear bloated like Mini. Jaws (Shark Bait), and Seraphim are the same as always.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: Not. Everyone is still all happy and friendly like usual.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: See Below;
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: Samara was always big in the abdominal area but she started acting lethargic on Wednesday this week, not responding to me and laying in the plant leaves. I took her out and put her in a seperate jar and on Friday, she pineconed and died, which led me to believe she had Dropsy, so I took out all 4 of my remaining bettas, isolated Mini Samara in her own bowl, and put the others in a QT tank all with Maracin Two, and I gave partial dosages into my Boys' tanks since I use the same net on everyone (YES, I rinse it with hot hot hot water between fish).
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: NO
How old is your fish (approximately)?: Samara was about 4 months old, as a rough estimate. I had her for nearly 3 months. Everyone else (Except Jaws) is about that old. Seraphim Ive only had for 3 weeks...

Ok. *points* i filled out the list. My biggest problem at the moment is I want to know if my fish are all gonna get Dropsy and die. As for how crowded the tank is it's a 10 gal with 4 bettas and 3 other fish as soon as I put the bettas back in. (2 of the algae eaters are in with the tetras now). If you give 1 gal per fish that's plenty of space for everyone, i believe. I'm fully aware that the plecostomus is going to get huge, and I've plans to sell him and get a smaller one LONG before he starts looking to my bettas as food. Same thing with the algae eaters. But, like I said, my main worry RIGHT NOW is the question of Dropsy and how contageous it is.
Everything else I can fix. Y'all have to realise this is my very first community tank so I really dont know everything, even though i DID do my reading before I added anything to the tank.
I have just read this stream and one thing comes to mind... Remember that, other than correct stocking and then feeding and observing.... You don't manage the fish.... You manage water!!!!! You a absolutely must test your water and see what's actually going on in the tank.... And I mean at biological level!!!!! Fish in well managed water manage themselves so stop worrying about your fish and start being bothered about your water!!!!!! Dropsy while contagious generally is not one specific disease so it is impossible to say if the others will get it however you don't seem to mention anything like the scales of the fish standing away from the body which is a key symptom of dropsy so I suspect that if you get to grips with your water and also use something like malachite green in low dosage for a month as a prophylactic dosage your tank will come right.... Ultimately you are looking for healthy fish in water that is gin clear and free of algae.
Posted via Mobile Device
Snappyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #7 
Fishehgobloop

If you would have read my entire post you would have caught on that I did mention she pineconed. "Pineconed" being described as the scales raising away from her body. It's what made me think she had dropsy in the first place. I'm fully aware that I need to get a test kit for my water. I also mentioned that it's on the list of things to get, as well as a heater. (Paychecks take a minute to clear in the bank and the beginning of the month is when I pay all my bills so I havent had money for a couple weeks).
I really just wanted to know if all of my other fish were going to get sick. Everyone seems to be zooming in on the fact that there are things wrong with my aquarium. I. Am. Aware. Of. That. I am in the process of fixing it. The whole thing was a spur of the moment decision. I read up on aquariums, and got everything I needed to START mine. It's been up and running for about a month give or take. I've been in the process of getting everything else. I just want to know if medicating my fish for dropsy is what I need to be doing while they're quarentined. I did mention that this is my first aquarium, I don't know everything yet. I'm learning. I just.... Need to know how to treat my fish. And then moving on from that, I will look into the changes and advice everyone has given me. It's great. Really. But no one's really answered my question. (well... you did now, Snappyarcher thank you).
So my next question is should I be giving them the medicine. I seriously don't want to hurt them by medicating them without a need. That's the last thing I want.

Last edited by Fishehgobloop; 08-14-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Dropsy is a symptom-not a disease...many things can cause the symptom of dropsy....the biggest and what is most likely the cause in your tank....is stress.....stress caused by overstocking, poor stocking, poor water quality...this all causes stress and in turn stress compromised the immune response.....until you fix the root cause you will continue to have problems....

The 1 inch per gallon rule is only for fish that are 1inch when fully grown.....by the 1in/gallon rule means you could place a 10in Oscar in a 10gal tank and that is just not true.......

As I posted in my first response-several factors at play when stocking a tank...

Right now-you need to re-home the pleco and CAE and start making 50% water change with deep vacuum weekly and a second 50% water only change weekly until the tank establishes the nitrogen cycle.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #9 
kumi

Hi. I think your other fish are likely to be fine if you start doing much more frequent water changes. OFL gave you excellent guidelines for that and for what you can have in a 10g tank. If your concern is whether the other fish have something that is contagious, the answer is most likely no.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #10 
Fishehgobloop

Thank you, Kumi. That makes me feel better. I think Im going to upgrae my fish to a 2o gal tank with everything (heater, lighting, air bubbles, etc) I already have a lot of that, minus the heater. Anyways. Yeah. Thanks. And I'll try to follow the other advice you guys gave to me. :)