Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #1 
Haaileybop

Sluggish Beta :(

So I have had my beta fish for around 3 months now. Due to all the reading I did here, I did a tank upgrade from one of those beta bowls to a 3.5 gallon tank with good filtration and live plants. He has seemed really really happy for the past month. This week I bought a heater because normally the tanks temperature is around 69.5 to 70 degrees. From what I have read betas like water that is a little warmer. So the new 50 watt heater got the water up to around 77.5 degrees. He has now been acting all sluggish and has been lying on the sandbed instead of his normal active self. So I unplugged my heater and slowly monitored lowering the temperature back down to room temperature.

I am beginning to get really worried about him, normally he is super active zooming around the tank, making bubble nests, nibbling on the plants, and begging that i give him food every time I am near the tank.

As for his care I feed him once a day rotating the type of food he gets, the light on the tank is on a 12 hour timer, and I do a 1 gallon water change once a week and a tank top off probably twice a week.

Any advice on if this is normal or if there is a problem. And if there is an issue something I can do to help him. I love this little guy!

Here is a picture of Alpha having a stare down with my boyfriends cat Zippy:

And here is what Alpha looks like now :(

He has been acting like that for the past two days.

Any advise or input would be much appreciated!
Haaileybop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems......

I would make a couple of 50% water only changes for 2 days and see if that will perk him up and then in a 3.5gal filtered with live plants-I would make at least 50% weekly on a regular basis.....

Beautiful Betta and nice tank-it looks good....... and I really like that shot with the cat....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #3 
Haaileybop

Thanks for the welcome!

I will try a 50% water change right now, I am actually making up a ton of water due to filling my new saltwater tank. So I should do a 50% water change for the next two days? I test all of my water the pH is in a normal range. I will up the normal water change from 1 to 2 gallons, which I do every week any way.

I love that picture too! I have already told my boyfriend that he will permanently be sleeping on the couch if Zippy eats Alpha, but I just think the cat likes the circulated fresh water.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #4 
Silverfang

I love the stare down pic! And so sorry your boy isn't looking so peppy.
Just wanted to add that I believe some cats just like drinking running water. I know mine did when I had an aquarium once upon a long time ago.

Hope he perks up.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 
Haaileybop

He has perked up a little bit, but still not fully back to his peppy self. The current water temp is 69.5 degrees. I wanted to turn the heater back on but I am worried about all the changes. I am going to do another 50% water change today, see how that turns out.

Silver I am hoping its the running water not that he thinks Alpha is a tasty snack!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #6 
kumi

Hi. Is the heater adjustable? If so, when you are ready to use it again increase the temperature very slowly. Someone here gave guidelines once for how much the temp should change per day. I believe it was 2 degrees per day, but I hope somebody else will chime in!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #7 
Haaileybop

Kumi no his heater isn't adjustable

On a brighter note he isn't fully back to his normal self but he has really perked up! I am hoping the water change I did tonight will perk him up even more. His color his still off and I am not sure if this is normal or not.