Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #1 
DoxieDiva

Help me learn!

Hi Everyone!

I will post an intro more in a different section but thought I would go ahead and post over here since I am in the process of looking at so many gorgeous pictures!

Is it possible that you guys may help me learn a little more? I have had many different Bettas over the years of being a fish keeper. Right now hubby and I have a crowntail and a veiltail... the both came from Petsmart and needless to say have needed a little work to "pep" them up.

I am trying to learn more about the Bettas though and each type. Is it possible that you guys could post an example of each time (halfmoon, dragon, etc) so that it would be easier to hopefully learn... and maybe try to point out some of the big differences if needed between some.

I am in the process of setting up a 20g tank as well. I am not sure of the stocking list... had planned to just do a bunch of fancy guppies in it but not sure. I had also thought of ordering a really nice Betta from AquaBid and building around him as a center piece in the tank.

I am curious how some of the Bettas look when not flairing but rather just swimming around the tank. I know that they are always "fluffy" but boy are they pretty when they are fairing!

Thanks for any help and information! I really am leaning towards having a centerpiece fish like a betta but want to get lots more info, etc before I go that route!
DoxieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #2 
Tisia

this thread is a good place to start as far as tail/color types
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #3 
DoxieDiva

What an awesome thread! I have started going through and will finish tonight when I get home from being on the medic at the fair! It is getting me really excited about setting up my 20g tank... too bad that it is going to be delayed about a month when I am at my mom's house for her recovery after major surgery...

She does have a 29g that she wants me to set back up for her! I will have to think about that one. I prefer to do fishless cycling... and do it the old fashion way... but I may have to use one of the jumpstart things and get her tank cycled right away so it I know it is done while I am there. I am still trying to figure out stocking for her. She is horrible with water changes so I think a Betta is out for her!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Since you are an experienced fish keeper....why not set a natural planted tank up for your mother....once they are mature they don't need water changes like a standard setup and with her health issue these little ecosystems are great when you have physical limitation....research Natural planted tanks and several members here keep them and we would be happy to help you out as well......

You can see some pic of some of my NPT in my album if you like......

Hope to see some pics of your Bettas and setups......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #5 
DoxieDiva

I had thought about a planted tank for her... it would be a bit of a challenge. The tank is a stock hood so I would have to upgrade lights most likely... I don't remember the wpg for the tank but do know the bulbs give a publish hue to the tank so they would be no good. The tank.does get natural light through one side... in fact that is partly why she drained it was due to the huge amount of algae in it.

I do like the idea of a planted tank for her but it would have to be very low tech which sometimes is harder than hi tech stuff! It is on the list of stuff I am looking in to for her... just want to watch what I spend on her tank because it takes away from what I can spend on my 20g when I finally get back home...

As to pictures.. Spike and Fido are nothing too special... just your average pet store bettas!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The NPT soil based tanks are as low tech as they get and low cost except for the start up plants....lights....I buy the GE brand daylight bulbs 6500k for under $6.00 each in the lighting dept....for plants it is more important to get the right color spectrum/wave length than watts....6500k is most like the sun and with the right number and species of plants the active growth will out compete the algae for nutrients and light....even with some added natural light.....I use natural sunlight on several of my tanks for the added light and plant growth without algae problems.....its a balance.....

Including-plants and lights I had to get to start up a 75gal NPT...it cost me about $30.00...I bought shop lights and bulbs-$15.00 and $15.00 of stem and floating plants...got the dirt out of my yard, had the playsand already-but that only cost about $3.00 for 50 pounds...usually most pet shop will give you trumpet snails for free and if not...you only need one....lol....soon you will have lots of them.....lol....they burrow in the soil to help prevent anaerobic spots.... important for NPT...you would need some wood if you got a BN pleco since they need wood to rasp for digestion and a a large school of a schooling species to have lots of movement and maybe a center piece fish....you could do a combo order for both you and your mothers tank....just a thought......

Still like to see pics...nothing wrong with pet shop Bettas......they are just as beautiful as the ones from Breeders or aquabid.....regardless of what people say just because they come from a pet shop doesn't make them any less a fish......and they are special to you......makes them special to us.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #7 
DoxieDiva

Sorry for my late response! I am going to look more into the NPT for her (and myself)... I have a couple more weeks to plan now because her surgery got postponed. That will give me a chance to do my homework more though and gather all I need to get her up and running. I hope I can manage to get it all set up for her... and I love the idea of a planted tank just because even though it does require maintance and care it isnt nearly to the level that some other set ups will.

I am sure I will have more questions and I might send you a message or two if you do not mind!