Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Air control valves

Does anyone know where I can get any of these?

They're supposed to be 'In-Line Air Control Valves.' I'm making a sponge filter and I need to lessen its output so that there's less agitation on the water surface, but the only things that I've been able to find are the T-shaped two way connectors, and I'm assuming they're not the same thing... If they are, someone tell me >.> Otherwise I've only been able to find it on one site and I don't want to pay over $5 for shipping if it's only supposed to be around $1.79, ya know?
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Oh, and I know they have them at Petsmart, but it seems on their website, they're only selling them in packs with other accessories... and all I need is one or two -.-
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #3 
dragonflie

Have you checked in the store though? I have one, but I don't remember where I got it. In any case; the 2 stores nearby to me are Petsmart Pet Supplies Plus..so it had to have been either one of those.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Check Petco too. Petco has their own brand of airline valves but I believe they come in small packs so you don't have to buy 10 to get the 2 you need.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #5 
dragonflie

And yes, they are dirt cheap, it would be rather pointless to pay shipping unless you have no choice. There's got to be one somewhere for you nearby. :)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Maybe even check Home Depot and see if they have something similar that would work. Like for drip sprinklers or something like that.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

I'll have to double check my pet stores and Walmart to make absolutely sure.. but I'm sure they'll have them. It's reassuring to know they do sell them in smaller packs ^.^
Old 08-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd need that many. Unless they're cheaply made and break easily and that's why they include lots of "replacements." *shifty eyes*
Old 08-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #9 
Draug Isilme

xD Yeah, I agree... if I can manage to get the smaller pack, at least I'll know if they break easy or not.. and if they do, then I wouldn't have spent as much money in comparison to buying the bigger pack... but if they don't have the smaller pack then the douchebags just put me in a position where I might have to waste money on the hope that their product isn't crappy -.-
Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #10 
DDave

With an air pump, you can't simply slow down the air coming out with a valve like that because it causes too much back pressure in the line and can damage the pump itself. What you need is a 2-way gang valve like this: http://www.petco.com/product/6239/PE...%20Valves-6239. That will split the air from the pump into two lines, each with their own control valves. One line goes to your sponge filter, and you just let the other valve vent out to the atmosphere without any tubing on it. You leave the valve that vents to the atmosphere all the way open and set the flow through your sponge filter to where you want (if you need more flow into the sponge filter, you can then close the venting valve until it's flowing enough). That way you can control how much air is going into your sponge filter and the rest of the air in the line can vent so that it doesn't build up pressure.
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote