Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #11 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Assassin snail, 100%. Great with fish, small bioload and they kill other snails perfectly. Fish do good jobs but only for a short time. Trust me... get Assassins.

I'd personally set up a small tank for your mystery snails and move them out until your pest snails are gone. Assassins are easy to find new homes for.

I gag at the thought of squishing snails and pulling them out to feed.. yuck yuck yuck! I also see snails as living creatures too O_o Some are just colder than me! I have a tank full of Malaysian Trumpets, I don't mind at all.
I'm not sure why doing it personally would be considered any colder than getting something else to do it for you, the results are dead snails either way. personally I think it seems colder to bring in a new creature and then just get rid of it when it's served its purpose
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

Mystery or Apple Snails are good. I have Malaysian Trumpets because I need them to dig in the sand. I also have Pond Snails, they got in on a plant, my first snail. I also have a Ramshorn snail with Nixon.

I'd love to have Assassins but they don't sell them here.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
I'm not sure why doing it personally would be considered any colder than getting something else to do it for you, the results are dead snails either way. personally I think it seems colder to bring in a new creature and then just get rid of it when it's served its purpose
Ok, so killing snails is puppy dogs and rainbows compared to buying a few snails to naturally do the job and then re-homing them to someone who wants them? Your logic baffles me. PERSONALLY, if I had Assassins, I'd keep them. This person wants to keep Mystery Snails, so the only option would be to re-home them.

Don't even... you want to get snippy with me, I can get snippy right back. Let's just stop this before it starts.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #14 
Tisia

I'm not being snippy, I'm just saying that it makes more sense to me to just deal with them myself if they're bothering me. if I brought in a house plant that was full of bugs that started taking over my house, I wouldn't buy a bird, I'd grab a fly swatter and a can of bug spray
Old 08-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #15 
BETTA DET

Khuli loaches dont kill or eat snails so I wouldn't consider them as "snail assasins". They do clean up your substrate nicely, but as snail control they are useless. I love khulis, Ill definately be picking up 3 for my tank soon. Much more active at night in most cases. Ive always had a few in my tanks since I was a kid.

Last edited by BETTA DET; 08-13-2011 at 06:11 PM.
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #16 
Shimizoki

I have a few assassin snails in my tank... they will kill the other snails... Circle of life, its no different than feeding bloodworms to your bettas, or you eating a burger... You also dont have to do anything yourself.

You also don't have to rehome them... they will clean up any fish food if you over feed a tad. Any new plants you add that have snails will be cleaned up by them. low bioload means your filter wont even notice they are there.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #17 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
I'm not being snippy, I'm just saying that it makes more sense to me to just deal with them myself if they're bothering me. if I brought in a house plant that was full of bugs that started taking over my house, I wouldn't buy a bird, I'd grab a fly swatter and a can of bug spray
So you're new puppy comes home with fleas, do you remove them one by one or do you get flea treatment from your vet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
I have a few assassin snails in my tank... they will kill the other snails... Circle of life, its no different than feeding bloodworms to your bettas, or you eating a burger... You also dont have to do anything yourself.

You also don't have to rehome them... they will clean up any fish food if you over feed a tad. Any new plants you add that have snails will be cleaned up by them. low bioload means your filter wont even notice they are there.
She has mystery snails she'd like to keep :) That's the only reason I suggest re-homing them. Or if she has two tanks, she could keep them separate.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #18 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
So you're new puppy comes home with fleas, do you remove them one by one or do you get flea treatment from your vet?
I'd probably use some kind of flea medication to get rid of the majority, but if I found stragglers I would have no issues with squishing them instead of waiting for them to die off on their own
Old 08-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #19 
Shimizoki

I would think that Mystery snails are far too large to be attacked my assassins. They will get to be twice the size, maybe more.

I am no expert in this though... I could very easily be wrong.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #20 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
I would think that Mystery snails are far too large to be attacked my assassins. They will get to be twice the size, maybe more.

I am no expert in this though... I could very easily be wrong.
apparently they'll gang up to take them down O_o TFK thread