Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #21 
Shimizoki

I stand corrected... you could always just buy snail killer. its a solution that kills invertebrates. then you do a full water change and let some time pass. Then you can drop in mystery snails. Just QT the mysteries if you have them already.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #22 
diablo13

I'd buy assasin snails just to freak people out.... " Hey, dude, that black snail is cool, what's it called?" " oh, him? He's an Assasin snail!" " um, why's he called that?" " why don't you stick your hand in and find out....." lol
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #23 
dsgems

Should I have a snail in a 2.5 gallon tank and if so what kind? I don't know the difference. I never heard of an apple snail. I sure don't want a lot of them. I just want to have a healthy, balanced, and clean tank.

Last edited by dsgems; 08-13-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: left out something
dsgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #24 
Pitluvs

I believe Apple Snails are too big for a 2.5g tank unless that's all you're going to have in there. If you have a Betta, then no you won't fit a snail in that sized tank :) I think Apple/Mystery snails are the only snail people really want, the others are pest snails.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #25 
Sakura8

How did this turn into a conversation/argument/debate about snails? Anyhooo, Diablo, the book is Tropical Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Species by PocketExpert Guides.

And I still think it's easier to just put out the leaf of lettuce, gather the buggers and squish 'em. Snails are living creatures but, uhm, so are ants and I'm pretty sure most of us have killed an ant or 500 in our time.

Also, they gang up on Mystery snails to take them down? o.O I never knew snails could be vicious.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #26 
Comet1993

I feel bad for the snails.. =/... Maybe you could just remove them and...uh... Sell them? =] Or give them away? A pet snail would be cute!
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #27 
Sakura8

If you can find someone who will buy a pond snail, I salute you. It means you're a great salesperson. I mean, yeah, I feel bad too. When I do have to squish a snail, I make sure to do it fast and hard so it dies instantly and doesn't suffer. I gave one to my dad last night to squish because it was bigger than I was comfortable squishing and what does he do? Puts it outdoors. I'm not so sure aquatic snails live well on the ground.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #28 
vaygirl

Anyone who has Dwarf puffers would want pond snails! They love em. I keep a pond snail population in all my tanks for my puffer. But the bettas eat them too.

Logan sucks them right out of their shells, so you might get a betta who eats em. Logan, Wraith and Tango have all been caught eating pond snails.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #29 
diablo13

Lol, pond snails are the best for dwarf puffers, no? They're small and have thin shells...... Oh, and VG, my LFS has Neon Dwarf Puffers, these are the same as normal dwarfs, right?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #30 
vaygirl

They're the same. They just have a blue-ish tint. Lucky you! And yes, pond snails have super thin shells. I've had some that are about the size of a dime so they're pretty small. (Sorry fer semi hijack :))
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote