Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #1 
betta lover1507

Red face i need help witha breeding process

since i really want to breed for about months, i need advice on to how to breed them like techniques o help to get a better percentage for breeding, so if you bred betta's before and it succeeded would you mind on telling me how?

i tried this: get ready to spawn betta fish.
put the female in a glass chimney for about three days
the male should make a bubble nest and notice the female
and the female should have dark bars (if dark colored scales) and should swim with head down(??? am just saying what this website said)
if female isn't flaring crazily at male release her, keep watch at regular intervals.

this method isn't working for me so can you give me a method (or add-on's to my method) i will like to hear ir thanks if you can
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Ok.. I'm going to try to make sense of what your saying but quite honestly I can barely understand what you're trying to say.

... no wait I can't.. so answer these questions and maybe I'll understand what you're asking.

Have you conditioned your fish?
What is your set up so far?
What is the temp?
How old are the fish?
When did you set up the spawning tub and when did you introduce the pair?

How much actual research have you done? Did you read the stickys in this forum?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #3 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
How much actual research have you done? Did you read the stickys in this forum?
This would be the sticky that 1fish2fish is talking about i believe:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30005
It tells whats needed to breed and how to do it, but you should also read the one she(? i'm taking a guess, so please dont be offended)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=65791

Both are very good sources on breeding and 1fish2fish's something that you should definitely read before starting breeding.

Last edited by Loralyn94; 08-12-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Oops posted the wrong link for 1fish2fish's thread, but its fixed now :)
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

More questions:
What do you mean by "better percentage".
Explain what isn't working for you - how and what is going on in your breeding tank.... the pair, not the set up.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

well, i have a HMPK male , and a VT female. after the 3 day step i released her the male will charge and flare , but after a minute of just flaring he will attack her almost non-stop. she has ripped up fins, and red scars on her body. so i put her in the container now but where ever the container is the male will build a bubble nest next to it and just flare at her all day ( besides feeding time). i really want to breed the little guy because he is a salamander and it's very pretty. they aren't a good pair. =[.

i did tried this method before on a double tail male, and a comb tail female, it didn't work either. i conditioned them and stuff.
i can't buy a betta on the internet because i got ripped off and didn't get my money back ( no refunds it said). and when i look for betta's on the web there around $60 and my mom thinks the just a lot of money for one fish.
i really don't know what to do.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

i have been doing 5.5 months of research ( and still am doing), and am new here, how would i know where everything is?!?!? i just don't know everything ... and am sorry i was just asking for help. iamthinking you think i don't know what i am doing , and also am only 13. i really know my research, i could only do this on the internet because there is no breeders close by to me (only horrible fish stores), or even my age that knows about this stuff, there all about iPods and music, etc. i haven't see any.

sorry am a very frustrated. that really offended me when you said: "How much actual research have you done? Did you read the stickys in this forum?". sorry am a loner don't have good friends, i only have a 16 year old cousin to talk to...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Its a basic question. I'm sorry you feel offended but I have a hard time understanding what you are saying and it sounded like you hadn't done much research just because I couldn't understand what you were trying to say.

I still don't understand what you are having a problem with. If you could please answer the questions and describe what method your using it will help us give you advice.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #8 
betta lover1507

ok, sorry i went so dramatic, i feel so bad now =[.

i gave them blood worms (is it ok to be freeze-dried?) to condition them.

i have a half filled 10 gallon tank with a filter, cup ( for bubble nest), plants, glass vase, and a bubbler.

i don't have a heater (just remembered ) but it is summer and my dad has a thermometer in his salt water tank and it is around 80 (i guess)

i can't tell because i got them at a pet store but the female has some what size belly, and the male is young ( i could tell) i think he is around 4 or 3 months. but he makes good bubble nest.

i actually had it up for around 3 weeks because i was trying to breed another pair of betta's so it had been set for awhile and when i brang this pair was around last Saturday.

i think i messed up with the heater and thermometer because i dont have any =[[. because my parents don't have the money to buy one..
Old 08-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

i think with the female because she kinda have a big belly. i have another ready female but she is very big ( my comb tail).
Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Assuming you know the basics;

1. Forget the bubble nest and forget the female's shape - they're meaningless..... oh one thing matters; what size are they? (approx) - younger pairs are often more difficult to breed.

2. Isolate all - mainly your breeders. Don't let them see other bettas during the 2 week conditioning period.

3. After they're conditioned, setup the breeding tank - up to you. Since it's your first, use tons of live plants on one side of the tank as hideouts for the female. Place the nest area opposite the plants.

4. place the male in the tank and the female floating. .... IMPORTANT.... look how they act. Are BOTH flirt swimming or is only one doing so? If both are flirting, let them be. Otherwise take the female out.
If BOTH are flirting; release the female just before dark (don't use extra light). Let nature take its course. It may take up to 3 days (or more) for them to spawn - don't worry, the thick layers of plants should protect her.

If the female is trying to fight, take her out and introduce again the following day. Do this until the female flirts (she will eventually flirt if the male constantly flirts).

If she changes into stress stripes, take her out and isolate her in the dark for a day or so. Then flare her to another female. Repeat flare exercise until 3 days or so. Then Reintroduce to male and see how she responds.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Ps.
Please don't get offended. We can only really help if we know how much you know .... it helps us organize our explanations. And we can never explain every single thing, so usually we ask new comers to at least read the stickies, then ask a more specific question.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote