Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #1 
animallover4lyfe

Help!

Okay so for those of you who read my last post i started over with a new pair. And it was going amazing, the male was instantly blowing a nest and it hss now tripled in size its huge! Anyway he was very interested in the female while she was in her container flaring and showing off, female seemed ready with her stripes and egg spot. So i realized her. Things were ok shed go to the nest alot and wait, but the male would flare and chase her away. So now my problem is, they were loose since 12 this morning. In the past hour the female is actually gettin very aggressive she would once in awhile swim flarin up to the male and give him a nip. He didnt take that too well and would swim after her very aggressively and super fast chase her around the tank trying ti get to her! She would then hide breathe very heavily! Her fins are also torn a bit. So at this time id seen them do that several times so i took the female out and put her back into her container, the way they were chasing each other scared me!

Should i keep her in her container and try again soon? How soon? Or what should i do?

The male has built a huge nest and is super attentive to it, spends majority of his time under it.
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #2 
animallover4lyfe

Like i know chasing and nipping is normal but to the point where the male is searching for her to get to her and nip her?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I need a little more information on your set up. I've only read the one thread that I posted in so maybe you posted it in another thread.

How long were the fish conditioned and how did you condition them?

How did you introduce them to the tank? Male first? Female first in the chimney? Both at the same time?

Are you still using the same set up as in the picture in the last thread I posted in? I really suggest you buy more plants and really fill it up. The more plants the easier it is for the pair to get away from one another without hurting each other.

How long was the female in the jar before you released her?

Chasing and nipping is part of the process and sometimes the chase can get very fast and the female can get stressed, that's why it is important to have as many hiding places as possible. I also prefer to have dark or tinted water so turning the lights off and covering the tank may also help.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #4 
animallover4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I need a little more information on your set up. I've only read the one thread that I posted in so maybe you posted it in another thread.

How long were the fish conditioned and how did you condition them?

How did you introduce them to the tank? Male first? Female first in the chimney? Both at the same time?

Are you still using the same set up as in the picture in the last thread I posted in? I really suggest you buy more plants and really fill it up. The more plants the easier it is for the pair to get away from one another without hurting each other.

How long was the female in the jar before you released her?

Chasing and nipping is part of the process and sometimes the chase can get very fast and the female can get stressed, that's why it is important to have
as many hiding places as possible. I also prefer to have dark or tinted water so
turning the lights off and covering the tank may also help.
Ok, so i conditioned them with frozen and dried
Bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp, for 2 weeks.

Male was placed in the tank yesterday so hes been in there for over a day. The female was in her container for half the day and only released her when the male started his bubble nest.

My setup i think personally is fine the live plant on the right takes up alot of the surface so she hides pretty good in there, she spends most of her time
hiding in the floating part of the plant. Also have the other plant on the left where she found two leafs to squeeze in. My worries arent about her havin enough to hide in, bcuz she was doing fine its more so her aggression and then breathing heavily.

So you think i should release her again and turn the lights off? The lights r on right now
Old 08-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #5 
animallover4lyfe

Shes in her container in the breeding tank flaring at the male lol
Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I would turn the lights off.

Is she just flaring and swimming away or is she actually beating the male up? How much actual damage have they done to each other? A few nips and tears is one thing but if it's a lot of damage you might want to try again.

I would leave the female in there for at least 2 days just because she sounds like she's a little more on the aggressive side. When she starts to show a more submissive stance (head down, fins slightly clamped, etc) is when I would release her.

Now if the male is doing nothing but chasing her there's a problem. What should be happening is he should chase her but eventually go back to his nest. I've had them go off and search and chase them around then go back to the nest and repeat several times. I think it's a way of them establishing dominance and also keeping tabs on their female.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #7 
animallover4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I would turn the lights off.

Is she just flaring and swimming away or is she actually beating the male up? How much actual damage have they done to each other? A few nips and tears is one thing but if it's a lot of damage you might want to try again.

I would leave the female in there for at least 2 days just because she sounds like she's a little more on the aggressive side. When she starts to show a more submissive stance (head down, fins slightly clamped, etc) is when I would release her.

Now if the male is doing nothing but chasing her there's a problem. What should be happening is he should chase her but eventually go back to his nest. I've had them go off and search and chase them around then go back to the nest and repeat several times. I think it's a way of them establishing
dominance and also keeping tabs on their female.
The female is charging at the male and just nips his side then swims away. He has no damage done to him, her fins are a little torn.

Shes not all that aggressive though besides the flaring she seems to "wait" by the nest under it.

Oh the male does chase her alot but as soon as he chases her he goes right back to his nest goes under and blows another bubble. Hes very attentive to his nest, he may swim over to the other side but goes right back to the next afterwards and sits under it. Basically what you said is whats happening the female does come out after awhile and sits under the nest but shes doing it less and less because he chases and flares at her.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

They're completely normal :) What she's doing is basically saying "Um HELLO? Are you done yet?" and he's saying "Get off my back woman! I'm working here!"
Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #9 
animallover4lyfe

Ok thanks ill let them be and keep the light off. I just have two more questions!
1) i took my filter out 2 days ago bcuz it was quite a heavy flow. Should i do water changes and how often? I stopped feeding both of them friday.

2) hes building a bubble nest somewhat under a almond leaf but im afraid its gonna sink soon!!!! I guess theres nothing i can do? Thankfully the whole nest isnt under it but partial is
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #10 
Dragonlady

I usually do not change the water until after the spawning process is complete. Changing their water while they are in spawning mode could result in a failed spawn. The less you mess with them, the better. He'll rebuild the nest if the other sinks. At the earliest, I change the water when the fry are free swimming.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote