Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Bowl question

I'm currently housing my second (and newest) betta in a large vase I picked up from the thrift store with a single plant and small heater. It was intended as a temporary home until I could get my 1.75 gallon tank set up for him... but he seems to like his vase. I'm wondering if it would be okay to keep him in there permanently if I can find a filter for it, or do frequent water changes.
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #2 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloeduwedd View Post
I'm currently housing my second (and newest) betta in a large vase I picked up from the thrift store with a single plant and small heater. It was intended as a temporary home until I could get my 1.75 gallon tank set up for him... but he seems to like his vase. I'm wondering if it would be okay to keep him in there permanently if I can find a filter for it, or do frequent water changes.
I think that would depend. How big is the vase? About how many gallons is it?
Also, how big is the opening at the top? Is it the same size all the way up or does it taper off?
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

No, I'd still upgrade him. He will probably like the bigger tank even more. Don't keep him in something smaller just because he "seems" to like it. You can't tell exactly how he feels.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

I'm sure he'll be okay in the vase... but maybe you should give your 1.75g a try anyway to see if he enjoys the space? I mean, its always great to keep the animals best interest in mind... It's usually better for the fish to have a certain size health wise, but just like people, certain animals have certain temperaments and personalities. I think you should go ahead and move the fish to the bigger bowl... If he seems happy, then great ^.^ He'll have a larger home with more room and he'll be as content as can be! But if he seems like he prefers the smaller vase, then *shrugs* it's probably better to keep the betta happy... I have a 1.5g and the first fish I had for it loved it! It wasn't until later my friend won a goldfish that she didn't have a place for it.. So I temporarily put my betta in his cup and moved the goldfish in the other tank fro a little bit.. Needless to say, my betta became depressed.. he wouldn't eat, even after I finally moved him back into his bowl... so he died ;__;...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #5 
Bloeduwedd

Thanks :) I'm planning on cleaning the tank tomorrow now that my first betta is out of it and seemingly happy in my 20 gallon community tank. If he decides he misses his vase, though, I'll keep it open lol.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #6 
Jrf456

He'll be fine! Use the 1.75 gallon as an excuse to get another betta. :)
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #7 
Bloeduwedd

Hehe, I was thinking about it... especially since I wanted to get a 5 gallon for the vase boy eventually (still can't think of a suitable name for him or my double tail :/) He's so pretty... lavendar and a light teal or aqua with a splash of red on his fins, and I want to showcase him. Was going to post pictures of both my "kids" tonight, but they're camera shy :(
Old 08-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloeduwedd View Post
Hehe, I was thinking about it... especially since I wanted to get a 5 gallon for the vase boy eventually (still can't think of a suitable name for him or my double tail :/) He's so pretty... lavendar and a light teal or aqua with a splash of red on his fins, and I want to showcase him. Was going to post pictures of both my "kids" tonight, but they're camera shy :(
Maybe you can tempt them out with food or use a mirror to get some badass flare shots? xD
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #9 
Bloeduwedd

I've tried food, and Mr. Vase will chill til I press the shutter, then fly away so the picture is blurry. Mr. Double Tail flees the instant a camera is anywhere near him, food or no. I'm going to try to borrow a better camera from my dad in the next few days, maybe I can find a way to get a picture with that.