Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #1 
Betta Newbie22

Tank Debate with Female Betta

Okay So i have a question for anyone.. My friend went and got a female Betta And a 1.5 Gallon bowl for her. I tried to tell him that they need something bigger At least two Gallons.. He told me that she would be fine as long as he did water changes.. what do you think is he right?
Betta Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #2 
hmckin20

honestly i have a 2gal for my little girl and she's still a bit cramped. i think it depends on the fish but anything below 1.5 is inhumane in my opinion.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E...1gal or larger is fine provided that you make the needed water changes.....

In 1gal-4gal- unfiltered-twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100%

In 1gal-4gal-filtered-twice weekly 50%

Should maintain water quality and fin health-provided that you don't over feed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 
Betta Newbie22

Yeah after thinking about it a bit i guess it wouldnt be bad as long as the right steps are taken to take care of her. Water changes and stuff.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Yeah, so long as he maintains the right amount of water changes, I'm sure the fish will be okay. 1.5 is somewhat pushing it, but not necessarily to the point where you're utterly torturing the poor fish... I own a 1.5g. I don't have any fish in it at the moment because I'm going to upgrade to a 5g, so I'm just waiting it out.. but yeah, I've had that tank for 4 years and within the four, I've had two fish... Had I not slacked off here and there with the water quality, as well as read up a bit more about bettas, I'm sure I would've kept both fish longer.. but for the most part, they were much happier than they were in those gay little jars they start out in at the stores.
If it makes you feel any better, my friend has.. I don't know what she has, but it's most defiantely less than a gallon... which she kept two bettas in it at first 'cause it had a divider... she gave one away, and still has the one female in the same jar... I brought up giving the 1.5g I have to her whenever I update, and she's good with that... and then the next day, while at our Petsmart, she said she wanted more fish and was thinking about getting some... I tried talking her out of it, bringing up the inch-per-gallon rule, and that it's already a bit small for the betta, which her reply was "Well, you're giving me the 1.5g, aren't you? That should be enough room for some other fish." So I'm assuming she's gonna keep the poor betta in its tiny little less than 1g tank while getting more fish... I love her to death, but she needs to learn a thing or two when taking care of animals...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #6 
Betta Newbie22

Yeah i have a 1.5 Gallon that I have one of my bettas in right now till they get there tank thursday.. To be honest i problly woukldnt of bothered geting them a bigger tank if I wouldnt of read the things on this site. I never realized how out of it i was on betta care. I told my friend to check this site out so maybe he'll understand what i was trying to tell him today lol
Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Newbie22 View Post
Yeah i have a 1.5 Gallon that I have one of my bettas in right now till they get there tank thursday.. To be honest i problly woukldnt of bothered geting them a bigger tank if I wouldnt of read the things on this site. I never realized how out of it i was on betta care. I told my friend to check this site out so maybe he'll understand what i was trying to tell him today lol
Same same, I just joined this month ^.^ My other fish died last week and I said "Enough is enough.. I have greatly improved in taking care of bettas since my younger years, but I want them to start lasting as long as they're supposed to!" So while researching as much as I could, i stumbled across this site, and it's helped greatly! I've got plans on what I'm gonna do with my new tank, and that includes turning a dragon with an air stone into a sponge filter xD It's gonna be pretty sweet and as efficient as can be! I'm still thinking on sending this to my friend... but it just doesn't seem like her or her family will listen to anything I say when it comes to animals.. This is kind of off topic, but they have dogs, and they complain and wonder why they're so misbehaving.. I've got a dog, not perfect, but great and knows basic commands.. I'm not saying I'm a professional, but damn.. If you're not gonna listen and try, you may as well not have any kind of pets! >.< Hopefully your friend will listen to reason, and not think you're taking something to an 'extreme'.. it seems like anyone who doesn't care about certain animals, especially fish, like to think other people who actually care as much as we do seem 'unnecessary' and 'crazy'.... and of course, you can 'always buy a new fish. They're not that expensive.'
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #8 
Betta Newbie22

Right Ive defiantly gained experience since i was younger when having my first Betta at one time I had 6 that was defiantly a chore in itself but i enjoyed it. I originally wasn't gonna get anymore after they all died do to my apartment getting to cold in the winter but I was at walmart one day and I saw one I just had to have. After that I got another one a month later there kind of addicting. After I get this divided ten gallon on Thursday. Ill probably go and get 2 females and put them in three gallons Haha. My BF thinks I'm crazy because I spend so much time on here reading stuff but its just because I care and want them to have the best longest life possible. I don't know hopefully my friend will do some research and learn like we did. One can only hope
Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

We use 1.5g and 1g here, with proper water changes our fish are doing fine. I hope to upgrade the 1gs to 1.5gs soon.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #10 
Betta Newbie22

Yeah I have my one Boy in a 1.5 Gallon Right Now and my other one To be honest I dont know what the size is on his but they seem happy swimming around and Blowing bubble nest daily. There going into a new divided 10 Gallon either thursday or Friday. I wanted to get 2 females since ive never had them before but i dont know if they would be confortible in a 1.5 Gallon. Since i don't have room for another 10 Gallon. So i guess this question was for both of us really.