Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #11 
Loralyn94

So, I went to check on Ryu today again before going to get ick meds and make sure he hadnt gotten worse or anything and noticed that what i originally believed to be ick had...changed.

Now the little white dot is greyish white and is no more a ball, but now like a small straight...thing starting from the top of his gill and going up.
I looked at the deases sticky for more help on what this may be and came up with columnaris, externail parasites, fungal infection, and Ick (still not ruling it out completely). I have no idea what to do or what to treat for now. What do you all think? Any help would be great!
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #12 
Jrf456

Wow.. I've never had this much of a problem. Bless you for taking care of him so well!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #13 
hmckin20

awww, man you and your betta have been through it ): you've had about every betta disease there is. but GOOD FOR YOU FOR BEING DETERMINED. this little betta may be sick but he's lucky to have such a concerned mama. i'll be rooting for him to pull through.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #14 
NCPanthersgurl

I'd start treatments with epsom salt until you can find out what it is, or get a better opinion...if it's fungal, you'll want Maracyn II...
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #15 
Loralyn94

I dont have epsom here at my house, but I did have Maracyn 2 so I went ahead and started him on that, he's still have fin rot problems (he keeps biting them and it just starts all over again, even with AQ in the tank) so worse case it only helps that.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 AM   #16 
Dozzem

I hope your fishy gets better! Never give up!

I had my own lame share of unluckyness...
I got my first male betta, Ula. He looked fine! I got a .5 cube thing for him ( I was learning) and he was good untill his fins were turning brown and he bloated up. I gave him a salt bath and he looked better. A few days later I took him for another bath just to make sure, but on the way back I dropped him and his cube! It took me a minet to find him (well my baby sister did). I got him back in his tank and he was stressed and he had a cut on his tail. Then for some reason he started to bite his tail. -.- I tryed a bunch of toys and things but still doing it. I went to look in the shed and fond a 3 gal tank! maybe getting another fish to put next to him help. I went for a bike ride to a street market and fond a crazy man with bettas. I learned that he only changed the water once a week and they where in little cups! He also only used drinking water... I got a poor inactive male VT to try to save. I changed his water out with cleaner drinking water and put it in my big purple bottle. I biked home with a fish (FUN) but when I got home and got him in his tank, I relized he had BAD amona poisining... He dided over night. A day later my cousin(best friend) and I went to a water park we have been planning for a while, it was FUNN! I spent the night but befor his mum drove me home we went to Petco to get shrimpys to see if that would be good for Ula. I got two shrimpys and then I saw a BEAUTFUL red girly. I got her of course! I went home and set up the tank. Ula LOVED HER!!! I went to post pics and brag about her :D Then I went to say hi and she was under her egg cave. She killed herself and for some reason her shrimp died too TT3TT

I was so lucky with Ula~ I think he ate his shrimp tho lol
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #17 
Comet1993

I'm so sorry about Starscream. =[
Bettas can be a lot of work, but, in the end, it will all be worth it. =] I applaud you for taking such good care of your fish. I'm sure he really appreciates it. I know how you feel; I tried everything that I could think of for my betta Comet, but he passed away. =( Hopefully, the ich will go away and all will be well, so you can enjoy your betta even more. =D
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #18 
Sarahlydear

Oh I hear ya honey!!! I have a male just like yours right now. No matter what I do he won't get better or act normal!!! It's very frustrating. >:( But we gotta keep faith and keep trying. :P I'm not giving up on Ralph either. It also helps that I have my other pretties to keep me motivated on what Ralph could be. Good luck!!!
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #19 
NCPanthersgurl

How's he doing today?
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #20 
Loralyn94

I meant to post back sooner, just got busy the last few days.

Its so nice to come on here and see how everyone can relate and just continues with encouragement, bettas are a job, but so worth it.

NcPanther, his "thing" above his gill doesnt seem to be getting worse at least and nothing else new has come up so I'm hoping this may mean things are about to start getting better.
The only thing that confuses me is that he's still as lively as ever. He's not lethargic or anything and isnt acting weird, today he actually seemed to have some more spunk then usually. I walked aver his tank and was just looking him over when he started flaring like crazy at me.

As of yet, he seems to be doing better :)

Tags
help me, need therapy, rant, sanity lost, trials of fish keeping