I have a betta I obtained with Popeye/cloudy eye one week ago. He has been in a small 1/4 gallon QT tank with daily 100% water changes and betta revive. He was on the brink of death when I got him from petco. Was there for several weeks with popeye and obviously no one treated him, and I didn't want to make it my problem, but he tugged at my heart strings so now he is mine.
Anyway! I have become so frustrated by the meds in the pet store all being dosed out for 10 gallon tanks, that I just went and bought one so I can use it to medicate him without racking my brain trying to find the right dose for his little tank!
So, my question is, do you think it is better to put him directly in the 10g where I can just add the meds in? Or keep him in the small QT tank, and just add the medicated water from the 10g into it daily, while adding more meds to the 10g?
Keep in mind, his eyes are so bugged out I think he has a very hard time seeing, and was so weak he wasn't strong enough to come up for air much, so, a smaller tank has been the best option... However, now he may be strong enough to swim up the 10g for air.... opinions?? Thanks :)
I'd try to get a different type of medication. Sometimes, the liquid versions of medicine are better than the tablets, because they can be easier to measure out and divide. Also, you may be able to treat a gallon of water, and just use that for about four water changes, so he'd still get his medicine, but you wouldn't have to adjust the dosage for a quarter of a gallon; you could just adjust it for one gallon as opposed to ten! =]
If he can't see or swim well, the full 10g might not be the best thing, too big and all. One suggestion that I was given is to get something big that can hold 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Mix the medicine up in that and shake well. Then use 1/2 cup of the medicine mixture per gallon of water in his QT container. So you could fill the 10g with 2 gallons of water or however many gallons is necessary to provide 3-4" of swimming space and then dose the 1/2 cup meds accordingly. ie, if you fill the 10g with 3 gallons, then use 1 1/2 cups of the medicated water. And the medicine mixture will stay good for two days so you can use it to redose after water changes. Then you have to mix up a new batch.
Comet, thanks for the input. My local pet store did not carry any liquid meds. The meds i got are all in powder form, unfortunately.. not even an easily dividable tablet! *slaps forehead* So I can only eyeball how to divide it... AH well... that's why I bought the 10g, so I don't have to deal with trying to adjust the dose.
Sakura, thank you for your opinion about the meds. I have him in the QT tank still because I really think he is at least partially blind. He never sees me drop food in, takes him awhile to find it... even if it is right in front of his face. I could probably do what you suggested and only partially fill the 10g, but then I am still faced with trying to dose-down the meds which is what I bought the 10g to avoid! :) I am more concerned about him, being sick, in a brand new tank, and then disease being "attached" to that tank so I can only use it for QT from now on... and also his vision issue. He swims fine though. So, I would rather keep him out of it... but, use it to dose the meds without having to measure. I'm lazy. I know. Just did not know if that was a bad idea or if that was acceptable or even a good idea.
It's just that I work really long hours, and when I come home, the last thing I even want to do is change water, let alone mess with meds. It just makes life easier to have a 10g I can just throw the packet of meds in and be done... but, not sure if he should be actually living in it. Yknow? I may be overstating my point...... it's 6am, and I just woke up, and am fuzzy. So please forgive me!
Smells. Not sure I understand. So are you reluctant to use the 10g because you don't want it to have to be a QT tank forever or because you don't want Wingnut to be in such a big tank when he's sick?
If worse comes to worse, do what you originally suggested. Fill the 10g up, dose it with medicine and then use that water to fill Wingnut's QT. When he's all better, rinse the tank really well with hot water and sun dry it. It'll be fine for normal use.
Sorry if I am being confusing. Yes, you hit both points of my concern... I don't want it (the 10g) to be "infected" and unusable for other fish by putting him in and I also think it may be too big for him being that he doesn't see well.
Does sitting the tank in the sun to dry kill off anything that could be transmittable to another fish?
I think, once he is done with his 5 day course of meds in the small qt tank, if he is not better, then I will put him in the full 10g and re-try the maracyn plus maracyn 2 and not worry abt that tank becoming "infected".... I just want his eyes to stop bugging out.
Yeah, the heat from the sun acts like a sterilizer so it should take care of any nasties that are in the tank.
Since popeye is caused by either poor water conditions, which is obviously not the case here, or fluid buildup from internal bacterial infections, I think it's unlikely the tank will be infected with anything that a good scrubbing and sundrying won't take care of. As long as it's not external parasites like ich or velvet, the tank should be okay.
What exactly is the treatment you are using right now? If you don't have him in epsom salts, you should try 1 tsp per gallon of that too because it helps to leech away the excess fluids building up in his system.
Well, initially I just wanted to keep him alive... I got him from the pet store half dead looking, with the popeye already long established. He has had it for weeks there... this is a fish I had seen many times slowly getting worse and worse at multiple visits to petco, unfortunately.
So, to start I fed him. Which is something petco told me they did once or twice a week.
And I changed his water.. something they did 1x a week..(in the little tub)...
I also added betta revive, which had helped my other bettas perk up from illness if it was just something minor.. the betta revive seemed to perk him up a little bit too but with daily 100% water changes, food, and betta revive for 1 week there was no improvement to his eyes.
So now I am on day 4 of 5 treating him with maracyn. His eyes have shown no improvement, but he is 100% better as far as his activity level. I caved and put him in the 10g last night and he swam around like he was ssssoooo happy! :) he has lots of energy now so I know the maracyn has helped clear up "something" that was was causing him to be listless but his poor eyeballs... >,<
Our water is well water (I think) and my dad buys salt to add to it, to help soften the water because it is very hard. So, I don't know how much salt is already in the water. It makes me cautious to put salt into my fishes water, because I don't want to over-salt them...
Any thought on that? I plan on maracyn 2 and/or an anti fungal next to address his eye problem, since maracyn does not appear to be addressing that issue.
Well, I know we have a water softener that uses salt and I haven't really thought much about it. At this point though I don't think salt would be of any help to him anyway. Poor guy, he probably had an internal bacterial infection too. Usually popeye is caused by the fluid buildup of an internal bacterial infection. Since Maracyn didn't fix that it must be a gram negative infection; Maracyn treats gram positive.
I know DarkMoon17 has said recently that she had great success treating popeye in her fish using Kanaplex. I'm pretty sure it can only be found at an LFS, not a Petsmart or Petco, and even then the odds are slim. I've found it online, though. It's Seachem Kanaplex. You mix it with frozen food to make a paste and feed them that.
That said, if you can't find or don't want to bother finding Kanaplex (and unless you order it online, it could be a lot of work to find), go with Maracyn II, I believe it will be the most effective. It will treat gram negative infections which is probably what he has.
Okie doke.. I will look online for the kanaplex, incase maracyn 2 doesn't work. I am going to finish day 5 of treatment today, do a big water change, and then do a course of maracyn 2. If that does not work, I am going to do the anti-fungal.. (or maybe vice versa) and then if that doesn't work I will do the kanaplex. Hopefully one of these things will work. Lol thanks for the help.