Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #11 
Sakura8

No problem, I hope something works for the poor little guy. He deserves to have normal eyes.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #12 
smellsfishie

Update

So, I completed a 5 day course of Maracyn which seemed to dramatically help Wingnut's activity level. He began to swim constantly, very happy, but no improvement to his eyes.

2 days ago, I did a 95ish% water change, and started him on another 5 day course of Maracyn, plus Maracyn 2. I figured the Maracyn did *something* so repeating in 1x prob won't hurt... and maybe the Maracyn 2 will help his eyes...

After day 1, he was very listless, and always hanging out at the top of the water. He was not swimming around. The water almost seemed very thick/slimey and bubbley and I think it may have been from the water softener that ran just a few hours earlier? Not sure, so I did a 100% water change, and added the meds in for day 2.

Today (day 3) he is active again, swimming around... No improvement to his eyes, and now he has a new interesting thing going on... Where his anal fin meets his body, there is a bubble type thing that is on both sides of him, and the anal fin toward the caudal fin is wider spread... I just noticed this today.

Any ideas on why his eyes are not improving, or why his anal fin has a bubble and is now spread more?

I have a few other meds lined up to try him on if this med combo does not work.

Pics below...
Attached Images

smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Which Maracyn did you use for the first treatment? Maracyn 1 or Maracyn 2? If what is causing his popeye is a gram negative bacterial infection, then you need Maracyn 2 and running Maracyn 1 with it won't hurt either. Also, it's a light sensitive medication so keep him in a dimly lit room or cover his tank. Gosh, I sure hope it works, the poor guy must feel crazy with his eyes bugging out.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #14 
smellsfishie

I used Maracyn the first time, and now I am using both Maracyn and Maracyn 2. I'm beginning to feel like nothing is going to help his eyes... but I am not going to believe that. And now this weird bubble thing on his anal fin, and how is is spread out more...? So weird....
Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #15 
Sakura8

I'm not sure about that bubble thing. I would PM Oldfishlady or DarkMoon17 about that. All I can think of is gas bubble disease but that's really rare in warm water fish like this. It could be a cyst or it could be lymphocystis, although it doesn't look like lymphocystis to me. :/ Hrm. I'll check in my fish disease books in the meanwhile and see what I find.

Give the Maracyn 2 some time to work. If that doesn't help, give him a short break from meds and then maybe try something even stronger like Triple Sulfa.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #16 
smellsfishie

Thanks Sakura. I PM'd OFL.. I think there may be a hole there where the bubble is. It's really hard to tell. He has 3 more days on the maracyn/maracyn 2 mix and then... the anti fungal was going to be my next try.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

The bubble on his tail.....is it-on that first pic at the base of the anal fin...and its on both sides of his body at the exact same place...correct.....or could you post a pic and circle the area.....

Have you done any Epsom salt, if so how much and how long...

How is the appetite and behavior, swims normally......

Source water-is this tap...you said something about a softener.....does the water go through a water softener unit.....

All additives used....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #18 
smellsfishie

I'm uploading the pic with it circled. It was on both sides, but now looking at him it is only on the right side. I think it is a hole and maybe an air bubble squeezed through? Not sure. He moves too much to really see it well.

I have not done any epsom salt

His appetite is normal but he has trouble finding the food. He swims around like crazy- he's very active.

The water is tap water, I believe it is well water. My dad adds a water softener which I believe is Morton Salt, but I could be wrong... I'd have to check. It does go through some kind of unit in the house, again... no idea how that works. Sorry.

Additives are Stress Coat, Stress Zyme, and then Maracyn and Maracyn Two.

OK the circles did not work......! Can't delete the attachment either, apparently... so i will try again...
Attached Images

Last edited by smellsfishie; 08-19-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #19 
smellsfishie

take 2
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Okay....that what I thought you were talking about...just wanted to make sure and with the anal fin spreading....my first thought is external parasite....a cyst of some type that could be encapsulating a parasite, pus...etc.....causing pressure on a nerve that is causing the fin to enlarge and stiffen......Argulus-fish lice comes to mind or Costia...google that and see if it fits...usually you will see flashing but not always...

Once you complete the antibiotics....start him on Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins, water changes premixed treatment water for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt to 3tsp/gal for 10-14 days

Bypass the water softener.......you may have to get the water from an outside faucet......

Salt softener systems exchange one Ion for another and its not healthy for long term health....

Popeye is a symptom not a disease in of itself.....gas or fluid in or behind the eye/s-common causes-injury, bacteria, parasite, gas bubble and can be nutrition related......

Good that overall he is active and eating....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote