Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 
MJK87

Fin rot or injury?

Upon close inspection of my betta fish I discovered that he had holes and pieces missing from some of his fins.

He has numerous holes in the webbing part of his fins and the tips of his fins appear to be curled.

Could this be fin rot or injury from fake plastic plants?

I just changed the water and added some real plants to the tank yesterday.

Here are some pictures.

If it is fin rot how can I cure it?
Attached Images

MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #2 
Loralyn94

Hard to tell with his dark coloring, it does kinda appear to be more injury, but either way you could do a AQ treatment of 1 tsp to 1 gallon, though take him out of his normal tank and put him in a QT tank otherwise your plants will not do to well with the salt.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Hmmmm...

I'm wondering if he is tail bitting. The missing parts kinda look like the bite makes my HM has made on his fins. Either way the previous tretment would work to heal the fins. Stress coat helps with fin regrowth as well.

ETA - the curled fins can be caused by hard water. Or maybe it was a high PH? I dont remember which but i dont think its anything to worry about
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #4 
MJK87

If it is fin rot, Can plants carry the bacteria? I would hate to heal him and then put him back in the tank and he gets it again because the bacteria has passed to the plants.

I know it sounds like a stupid question but this is my first fish experience so I really no nothing about how fish diseases are transmitted.
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #5 
Myates

I see holes in his fins, those are caused by decor, not rot. I would think maybe a mix of the decor and possibly a fin biter. That is what I would think, and really I believe the only thing you can do for those is put in stress coat to help the regrowth of the fins. The curling, if not mistaken, is from hard water and is common in CTs.
He's a good looking fish, I hope he gets better soon :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote