Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #11 
fightergirl2710

People don't like being told they are wrong, it's a fact of life... Sigh. Maybe we could just tell them hey, you have to check out this site on bettas it's totally awesome etc! Open it and let them just get guilted into getting their betta proper care! Muahaha!!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #12 
Luimeril

all you can do, is show them how happy bettas are when in proper tanks. and, suggest they get bigger tanks, because the bettas love space. i've seen how much a betta can change when put in a larger tank, after being in a small tank, so i know that bigger is better(in most cases. i DO have a betta who's scared of larger tanks. xD).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #13 
Draug Isilme

fightergirl: Well, most cases, not all people.. Most just have a "God complex" (which I mean as a term for people in general. So sorry if people get offended by it, but that's not what I'm intending) and need to learn a bit of humility here and there.. I think the site would definately be a good thing to show, but it does depend on the person and if they really care about the animal or if they just want them for decor....
Luimeril: Yeah, I'm sure that'll help, too.. Sometimes people just need visual and they get the idea ^.^ Which is usually why most people think it's okay for them to be in small jars in the first place... damn you pet stores that only sell them in little cups! >.< I'm sure your betta is afraid of being in a large tank because it's so accustomed in being in a small cup, so being in 'open water' makes it feel vulnerable.. >.>
I suppose another thing that would help is whenever people say "Eh, they do fine in little cups! See? It's still alive!" you could say "Just because it's surviving doesn't mean it's living. There are things worse than death, and I'm sure being confined in a small space only big enough to turn circles in day after day, nothing of comfort like plants or something to hide in like they would in the wild is at the top of the list for bettas. Hell, even a human being..."
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #14 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
she's lost a few betta to the bathroom sink, didnt ask how many.

Last edited by hmckin20; 08-15-2011 at 02:21 PM.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #15 
Draug Isilme

xD Nice... I'm with ya there, hmckin
Old 08-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #16 
fightergirl2710

Lolololololol!!!!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #17 
hodgepodgen

Well those are very zen like, but well you know.

Heaters, well it depends on where you live. I don't use heaters in the summer because the avg temp is 79 degrees.

And some bettas prefer smaller to bigger tanks and vice versa.

I think we need to keep an open mind and teach people how to care for a betta in a helpful way. Not yell at them and go off on a rant storm. I see that a lot on these forums unfortunately. Its counter productive. XP

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-16-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: language
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #18 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgepodgen View Post
Well those are very zen like, but well you know.

Heaters, well it depends on where you live. I don't use heaters in the summer because the avg temp is 79 degrees.

And some bettas prefer smaller to bigger tanks and vice versa.

I think we need to keep an open mind and teach people how to care for a betta in a helpful way. Not yell at them and go off on a rant storm. I see that a lot on these forums unfortunately. Its counter productive. XP
I agree ^.^ But sometimes it just gets frustrating when people don't listen.. especially when it's someone like your best friend (in my case) and no matter how politely you try to put it, no matter how helpful it actually is, sometimes people just don't listen... So while I don't like yelling about certain situations like this and I'd rather have something done about it than whine, it's always nice, and sometimes better, to get it off your chest.. Which is pretty much what I'm doing on this thread, but I'm still trying to be helpful and get my friend to start treating her betta as a living thing that deserves respect ^.^

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-16-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: language in post and in quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #19 
hmckin20

^ the above post

definitely approach a person (who may be unintentionally harming or mistreating their fish) with kindness and understanding. maybe they just don't know any better. but then there are the people who just don't care, or become defensive/insulted whenever you offer a few tips, and at that point you have to be a little frustrated / want to rant. especially when it continues and lessens the value of the fish's life.

i don't use heaters on all of my tanks (yet) either. i have one for p&f's ten gal and i'm getting one for h&c's ten gal tomorrow, but i'm still debating whether or not to get one for demi's two gal. either way, it's not a pressing matter. it's pretty warm here and the temp stays in the general range it should.

and hehe that GIF is perfect for saying things. :3
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Language, Dearhearts, please...on this family forum. <p>
<p>
It's not the kids I'm worried about; it's us old folks with tender sensibilities<p>
<p>
Thank you.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote