Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #21 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Luimeril: Yeah, I'm sure that'll help, too.. Sometimes people just need visual and they get the idea ^.^ Which is usually why most people think it's okay for them to be in small jars in the first place... damn you pet stores that only sell them in little cups! >.< I'm sure your betta is afraid of being in a large tank because it's so accustomed in being in a small cup, so being in 'open water' makes it feel vulnerable.. >.>

actually, Lulu lived in a mini-sorority in one of the tanks in back, with a few other girls and some cute little catfish, so it's not that she's scared of it because she was in a cup. i've had her over a year, but you'd think she'd LOVE the space. i even upgraded her a half a gallon, from a 1 to a 1.5, and she freaked out and hid. i guess she just likes her triangle tank better. *shrugs*

i adore taking pictures of my bettas. i have a whole album on my Facebook full of them! people love how happy and bright they are, and i just love telling people about how well they do in larger tanks. my mom's betta, Counter Buddy, was upgraded from one gallon, to 10 gallons, and he LOVES it. he adores hanging out in the plants up top the most(they dislodged when i put water in, and just float about. xD i've found that my bettas LOVE floating plants, so i left them. :d in fact, Spy was named as such because she hides out all the time in teh plants. x3c).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #22 
NCPanthersgurl

It's funny, I posted a rant thread about something similar a week or so ago. A girl I know has two betta's and while she has them in a ten gallon tank....

oh yeah, both in a ten gallon. A male and female. With no heater. And no filter.

Oh, and only feeds them flakes.

But this is an upgrade from the goldfish bowl she had the male and another female in a week prior.

-_-

I tried to say something and she told me she knew what she was doing and I needed to stop being a know it all. So I stopped. Both fish are probably gone by now :( The female was all kinds of stress striped.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #23 
Luimeril

people don't like being told they're wrong. that's why, you gotta ninja the info in. say something like "that's a wonderful upgrade! but, bettas are territorial, and don't like another being in their space. your bettas may either fight, or you'll end up with dozens of babies, and they need special care. unless you want that, i'd, personally, divide the tank into two halves and keep them apart." x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #24 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
actually, Lulu lived in a mini-sorority in one of the tanks in back, with a few other girls and some cute little catfish, so it's not that she's scared of it because she was in a cup. i've had her over a year, but you'd think she'd LOVE the space. i even upgraded her a half a gallon, from a 1 to a 1.5, and she freaked out and hid. i guess she just likes her triangle tank better. *shrugs*

i adore taking pictures of my bettas. i have a whole album on my Facebook full of them! people love how happy and bright they are, and i just love telling people about how well they do in larger tanks. my mom's betta, Counter Buddy, was upgraded from one gallon, to 10 gallons, and he LOVES it. he adores hanging out in the plants up top the most(they dislodged when i put water in, and just float about. xD i've found that my bettas LOVE floating plants, so i left them. :d in fact, Spy was named as such because she hides out all the time in teh plants. x3c).
Ah, okay ^.^ I suppose this is definately one of those examples where fish do prefer specific settings depending on the fishes personality. And hey, I'd say that's when it is okay to have a betta in a small tank... Otherwise, it'd probably stress out and kill itself from too much of it...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #25 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPanthersgurl View Post
It's funny, I posted a rant thread about something similar a week or so ago. A girl I know has two betta's and while she has them in a ten gallon tank....

oh yeah, both in a ten gallon. A male and female. With no heater. And no filter.

Oh, and only feeds them flakes.

But this is an upgrade from the goldfish bowl she had the male and another female in a week prior.

-_-

I tried to say something and she told me she knew what she was doing and I needed to stop being a know it all. So I stopped. Both fish are probably gone by now :( The female was all kinds of stress striped.
Yeah, it's uber obnoxious when people say things like "stop being a know it all," but I'm assuming it's just a defense mechanism because she didn't have much else to say in her defense... *shrugs* If they are gone, hopefully that girl will get some sense and take in what you said into account instead of tanking her own advice and being a 'Know-it-all' herself. And hey, if it ever comes up again, you can always take her methods into question and ask where she came to 'know' what she knows about bettas and say you actually took the time to go to places like this great betta forum to get the advice needed from people who have had experiences with bettas and the sort ^.^ Dunno if this is the reason exactly why your on this site, but I'm assuming so.. if not >.> yeah....
Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #26 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
people don't like being told they're wrong. that's why, you gotta ninja the info in. say something like "that's a wonderful upgrade! but, bettas are territorial, and don't like another being in their space. your bettas may either fight, or you'll end up with dozens of babies, and they need special care. unless you want that, i'd, personally, divide the tank into two halves and keep them apart." x:
+1 for the ninja'd info! ^.^
Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #27 
mjoy79

as far as the heater topic goes - I hate it when a pet store employee goes out of her way to tell me incorrect information. I was checking out with a 10G tank kit that came with a heater and a betta to add to my sorority. She told me bettas don't need heaters - its in their care sheet. This was at Petco. I'm looking at their care sheet online right now and a heater is on their checklist of things you'll need. they also recommend a betta book. Anyhow, I told her, "Yes, bettas need heaters, they're tropical fish. They don't really need them right now, since its 100 degrees outside".
but honestly I have all my heaters going and its keeping my tanks at 78. I accidentally forgot to plug in Joey's heater a few days ago and looked at his thermometer and it was down to 72-74. So even in 100 degree Texas summers, with air condititioning it can get too cold for bettas without heaters, especially at night.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #28 
Draug Isilme

xD I think you were the same person I read that from a different thread.. After reading that the first time, I so took one of the pamphlets of bettas at the Petsmart store and read through it! It really does have a heater listed on it! I believe it even says that if you have an unheated bowl then the room temperature must remain above 72 degrees. Kinda makes me wonder if she actually read it or if she only took certain key parts of they pamphlet and thought it was okay... Even so, stuff like this is when companies need to make sure they train their employees the right way and make sure that they're loaded with the right information... but I suppose one of the reasons why they don't care too much is so that way the uninformed/misinformed customers will go home with products they bought from the store, and after a few months or more/less, come right back to the store and buy a new fish and something else they might've realized they needed...
Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #29 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
xD I think you were the same person I read that from a different thread.. After reading that the first time, I so took one of the pamphlets of bettas at the Petsmart store and read through it! It really does have a heater listed on it! I believe it even says that if you have an unheated bowl then the room temperature must remain above 72 degrees. Kinda makes me wonder if she actually read it or if she only took certain key parts of they pamphlet and thought it was okay... Even so, stuff like this is when companies need to make sure they train their employees the right way and make sure that they're loaded with the right information... but I suppose one of the reasons why they don't care too much is so that way the uninformed/misinformed customers will go home with products they bought from the store, and after a few months or more/less, come right back to the store and buy a new fish and something else they might've realized they needed...
Exactly. I'm not sure about Petsmart. I haven't checked on their caresheet. I'm not a fan of how they care for their bettas. I was at Petco when this lady was telling me this and other than that situation, I'm pretty satisfied with how they care for their fish. I want to go back to that store tho, and tell that lady "I hope you're not telling every person that buys a betta that they dont need a heater!"
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #30 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmckin20 View Post
i didnt bother asking bc i didnt want to know just how bad she was with betta. its like avoiding a walmart you know has sick/dead betta. im sure most of theose betta went BC she didnt plug the sink. dont want to know anymore than that myself.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote