Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #1 
Kato Aaron

Bad root canal

So when I was in the fifth grade I had a molar that had really bad decay. We decided to get a root canal to preserve it. (didn't know about the various risks and problems that could happen) The dentist told me i would need to get a crown put on when i was 16 because my tooth still needed to grow. (can a nerveless dead tooth even grow?) Well we left that day thinking everything was gravy. Healing was fast and virtually painless. Everything seemed okay.

Fast forward about 6 years. Now I'm 16 and now this tooth has fallen apart a little and it hurts. (I'm going to get it removed as soon as possible) It has on-off pain that gets very intense. Also this gross tasting/smelling stuff comes out of the tooth, giving me very bad breathe sometimes. I fear there may be an infection in there. This tooth has been nothing but trouble for the past year and i cannot wait to go to the dentist and get it removed! And thats saying something because i'm intensely uncomfortable with the dentist.

Well, I was also wondering if you've had any trouble with a dentist or doctor? Thank you for reading!
Kato Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #2 
fightergirl2710

I've never had any real issues with my teeth but my mum has... One of her teeth has had work done on it so many times, its cracked to bits now, she finally had it removed.. Plus she must have had 4 root canals till now.. The right side of her face is paralysed so it makes it more difficult for her to open her mouth wide for the dentist to see what's up in her mouth... She's had a lot of issues with her teeth, I think you're lucky, hopefully you wont have problems like that.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I just went through a whole deal with a very severely cracked tooth. It's SO painful when your nerve is exposed. Since you're having that much pain, I'd think there's some nerve there. I had almost the entire tooth removed (pretty much down to my gums) and then a porcelain cap put on it. I didn't have a root canal though.

At first I thought she did something wrong because I still had pain for more then 4 weeks. But she kept assuring me it would go away. She kept telling me to baby it. Don't use the tooth after it's done. Don't test it, don't try and chew with it. One day, suddenly, you'll realize you're chewing with it again because it stopped hurting. But it took over a month for my pain to go away and the sensitivity is still there but GREATLY reduced. I took a LOT of tylenol and used Orajel daily. I haven't had to do any of that for about three weeks now.

Edit - To be fair to the dentist, she said it was one of the worst cracks she'd ever seen and it would take a long recovery. :P

Last edited by vaygirl; 08-13-2011 at 01:30 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Ow wow ow 4 weeks!?! This talk of cracked teeth is giving me goosebumps.. And I suddenly got an aching tooth today, talk about irony (is that right usage of irony? Alanis Morisette screwed it up for me lol), I need to see the dentist.. Till then its clove oil to the rescue! Lol!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I need to see the dentist but can't afford it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

My dentist is my grandma's college friend, I get free dental! Although I get that anyway since my dad was in the defence services :)
Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I need to see the dentist but can't afford it.
This, for me too.. unfortunately.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #8 
Silverfang

IT does sound like it could be infection, see him ASAP. He probably won't be able to do much until that infection is cleared up. Unfortunately I've got a mouth full of metal, and have had two root canals in my life time. I'm waiting for the fall when my insurance "renews" and I get get the crown I need.
Sorry to hear about your trouble, but I can say honestly I learned too late that Soda will kill your teeth. (Sugar and acid... yikes!) Oh, and candy too... I ate some rockets (assuming someone here will know what they are) and It caused my tooth to chip and lead to my second root canal. That was two months ago.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #9 
Kato Aaron

fightergirl2710- I'm sorry your mum had so many problems :s its unfortunate all that happened.

vaygirl- 4 weeks? ouch! A cracked tooth sounds very painful.

I'm sorry for you guys who can't pay for the dentist. That's really unfortunate. :(

Silverfang- I did the same thing. lol. I learned alll too late sugar and teeth dont mix! xD
Kato Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
gmd1800

I had a baby tooth with an inch-long root that I had to get pulled five days before I turned 10. On 9/11/01, actually. That wasn't a good day.

I once cracked a baby molar when I went out to eat with friends, maybe a few months after my inch-long tooth was pulled. I had to go to the dentist the next day to get it pulled. I've cracked so many baby teeth (whoops?) I ended up not going to the dentist and just pulling them myself.

And wisdom teeth getting taken out wasn't as bad as people said.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote