Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 
Vaughan06

Walmart Worker- Need Input

I will be leaving Walmart Sept 4 to go through USAF SF training, and I want to make a Betta care sheet so that I know when I leave someone can have the resources to properly take care of the Bettas.

As you know, they live in small cups while in the store. It is my understanding that a "container" this small should have its water changed every day, correct?
I started doing this, but I noticed after one day the water is still perfectly clear with maybe only one dropping lying around. Should we change the water everyday, or perhaps every two days?

Also, all we have for Bettas are their containers and pellets. Are two pellets twice a day sufficient?

Any advice on how to better manage the Bettas will be appreciated.

One thing I do personally is space the containers apart as far as possible so that they aren't constantly stressed by eachother.

I also place them on the higher shelves and move downward so that children can't reach them.

We stopped keeping the Bettas on shelves in the Pet aisles because they were accessible and vulnerable to customers/kids, so they are now kept besides the aquarium on shelves within our sink area where we fill bags and keep our work materials.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh, and can someone recommend the amount of water changes/ratios for 1 Gallon, 2 Gallon, 2.5 Gallon, 3 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and 10 Gallon?

I want to make a customer fact sheet as well.

Last edited by Vaughan06; 08-14-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan06 View Post
I will be leaving Walmart Sept 4 to go through USAF SF training, and I want to make a Betta care sheet so that I know when I leave someone can have the resources to properly take care of the Bettas.

As you know, they live in small cups while in the store. It is my understanding that a "container" this small should have its water changed every day, correct? Yes.
I started doing this, but I noticed after one day the water is still perfectly clear with maybe only one dropping lying around. Should we change the water everyday, or perhaps every two days? You can get away with every other day but should strive for every day. Perhaps do half of the fish one day and the other half the next day. There may not be much waste in the cup but fish also excrete ammonia throughout the day, ammonia is clear so unless you are testing the water in each cup you can't know how much is in the water. Most hobbyists have said that ammonia is present in a cup that size the next day.

Also, all we have for Bettas are their containers and pellets. Are two pellets twice a day sufficient? Seeing as they are in such small spaces I would only feed 2 pellets a day. They don't have enough room to properly exercise themselves and aren't heated properly which means their metabolisms are slower than they should be. Less food will mean less waste and less chances of the fish being obese (yes it can happen).

Any advice on how to better manage the Bettas will be appreciated. Fill the cups completely with water, only leave 1/2 inch or so for air... more water is good. I often see betta cups only filled 1" or so and that is ridiculous.

Find a way to display them better. I've found them either on the product shelves or on the sink shelves. Both are poorly lit and bettas stacked up to 4 deep... it's hard to get a good look at them all. Preferably they'd be on an upper shelf where they can get light, spaced only 2 deep and if necessary 2 high (not covering air holes).. that would make them much more visible and accessible to customers.

One thing I do personally is space the containers apart as far as possible so that they aren't constantly stressed by eachother.

I also place them on the higher shelves and move downward so that children can't reach them.

We stopped keeping the Bettas on shelves in the Pet aisles because they were accessible and vulnerable to customers/kids, so they are now kept besides the aquarium on shelves within our sink area where we fill bags and keep our work materials.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh, and can someone recommend the amount of water changes/ratios for 1 Gallon, 2 Gallon, 2.5 Gallon, 3 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and 10 Gallon?
1 gallon.. every other day, at least 3 times a week
2 gallon... every other day, at least 3 times a week
2.5 gallon.. every third day, at least 2 times a week
3 gallon.. every third day, at least 2 times a week
5 gallon.. twice a week, at least 1 time a week.
10 gallon.. twice a week, at least 1 time a week.

*This is provided none of these tanks are cycled. Anything uncycled and below 5 gallons should get 100% water change, anything 5 gallons plus should get 50% changes and should get 100% changed once weekly if it is not filtered/cycled*

I want to make a customer fact sheet as well.
Answers in bold.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #3 
Vaughan06

Thanks for your indepth response. I will try and get a good picture of the shelves we use because they are pretty attractive customer wise.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote