Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #1 
Critter Servant

Hello & What Type of Betta?

Hello! Yesterday I went into Petco to get crickets, and wandered around looking at the animals. They had lots of bettas, and there was one there that had just prettiest coloring. He was sky blue mixed with white, with dark red little fins under his gills and a bit of red shading. I picked up the cup and admired him for a while, but I already have a betta and really don’t need another animal, so I left him and went home. You probably know the rest of the story. Last evening I went back to get him.

What do you call his coloring, and what type of tail does he have? The cup said he’s a delta tail, but his tail looks different from the delta tailed ones on line. He’s a little less than half the size of my other betta, who I’ve had for three years. I think I’ll call him Skye.

My camera skills are lousy, and he moves around a lot, making it hard to take pictures.

And just for fun, here’s a picture of my other betta, Feisty.

TIA!

The pictures make him look less blue than he is in person. Here's another try:

Last edited by Critter Servant; 08-14-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Critter Servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #2 
fleetfish

He looks like a blue pastel butterfly super delta, though it's hard to say since he isn't flaring. What a gorgeous pair of betta boys you have! <3
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

Can you get a pcture of him faring? that will help determine what type of tail he has
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #4 
Critter Servant

Thanks, Fleetfish! I think he's beautiful, too. :) He seems to be quite young, a little less than half of Feisty's size. Will his fins get bigger in proportion as he grows?

LittleBettas, He's very uncooperative when I try to take pictures, but I'll try. When he flares, those dark spots on his fins get redder and he gets a circle of reddish hue on his fins and he looks tricolored.

Edited to add: There's a thunderstorm starting up and the power just flickered. I'll be back to check on this thread later today. Maybe by then he'll give me a good picture or two!

Last edited by Critter Servant; 08-14-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

I agree with Fleetfish, but a flare picture would be nice
His fins can get bigger if he has proper food, a reasonable size tank, and if his fins get excersized (stretched)
Keep an ey on him, he mgh surprise you in the colors he develops, lol, good luck with the pictures!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #6 
Critter Servant

Oh, that would be nice! He's in a one and a half gallon tank by himself. The guy at the pet store says that's a betta palace, and most of them live in smaller enclosures.

I put a mirror next to his tank and got a halfway decent picture of him, and I'm guessing he's probably flared up, since he became darker and the reddish color on his fins started to come out. He does not sit still for a second, so getting pictures of him is not easy. My other betta stays still.

Last edited by Critter Servant; 08-14-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

With that size tank you REALLY have to do daily water changes, while that is better than what many Bettas get, it is not ideal
Here are two of my perm. tanks
2.5 gallon, one moss ball, one female betta, Tihs

3 gallon critter cage, (soon to have baby moss ball) 3 month old baby, Ender (I have four of these, they are AMAZING)

5 gallon, one moss ball, one male betta, King (Soon to be split with Chile once he is out of QT)

The bigger the tank, the happier the Betta :)
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #8 
Critter Servant

He can go into a larger tank. I have lots of those plastic ones around the house. They work great for baby crested geckos, too. :)

My first betta, Finney, lived in that 1 1/2 gallon one. He lived about 5 years. Feisty is in a 2 1/2 gallon tank. I'd love to see Skye grow up with huge beautiful fins, so he'll get a larger tank this week.

What's the moss ball for? A betta toy?

Last edited by Critter Servant; 08-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #9 
LittleBettas

Nope, they are really cool, there is a thread for them...
They are plants, in ball form, they are known to move around, go toward the surface for light, and they "eat" ammonia, really cool little things once you get one...

The thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=75837
Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #10 
Critter Servant

Nice! I never heard of plants like that, but now I want some. Thanks!