Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Oak Tannin?

So I was told I could use oak leaves as a tannin, but before I throw anything into my tank I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
What I was told was to wash them off, grind them up, and just put the pieces in the tank. Is this right?

Thanks for any help!
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

Yup, they work great, just rinse tem off with warm water, rip them up (size doesnt matter) and toss them in
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #3 
Sarahlydear

Maky I may try that when I move this Friday. :) Thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf is a great tannin source-be sure the leaves are in a pesticide free location.....

Don't use Green leaves.....

Tannins for the tank-you may want to leave them intact so that you can remove and replace them easier-unless its an unfiltered tank that receives 100% water changes anyway..then it doesn't matter if you crush or use intact.......

If this is a filtered tank-remove the activated carbon-or the carbon will remove the tannins

Depending on how dark you want the water and depending on the size of the tank...start with 3-4 dried leaves and remove when the water is the color you want-be sure to use them in the replacement water used for water changes

For treatment-use a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add 10-12 crushed per gallon of water...

The longer the leaves steep the more tannins released the dark the water.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

^
A great ay to have the tannis but less of the mess is to put the leaves in a CLEAN panty-hose leg/foot and then place that in the water, the leaves get soaked and can tannis gets out but this way you can remove the leaves simply by taking the panty-hose out, rincing REALLY well, then adding new leaves

**also be careful that pesticides are not used in your area**
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #6 
Sarahlydear

No pesticides, my dad is the city worker and only sprays when he absolutely has to and never around our house (he's worried about the dogs :P)

The tank is a 10gal, but I will probably pre-soak a gallon and when I put them in the jars to travel I'll fill the jars with the tannin water and put a few leaves in the 10gal when we get there.

Both my filters broke and I decided it wasn't worth it to get another one; I have student loans to do. I have all live plants and do a water change every week also it's cycled.

Is darker better?