Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #1 
Amity

Greetings from CT!

I have been following this forum for a few weeks now, tapping in to the wealth of knowledge available here. I figured I might as well register and introduce myself!

My first name is Anthony, I live out here in CT, I have taken care of 3 bettas at my part time job (it's a daycare we keep one in each room) but I never realized how much MORE we could be doing for these beautiful fish.

I went out and bought one for myself, and of course I dropped the poor little guy the first night I got him -.- It's been about two weeks and he seems to be just fine, he's a tough little guy (he's my little ladies man) :D

I was just hoping someone could give him a quick once over and see if I did any damage when he fell on the hardwood...twice >.<

Thanks for the help and I look forward to being a REGISTERED member of this forum!

Here's Picasso (I saw him build a pyramid out of uneaten food once and I figured it was a suiting name :P)

Amity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Picasso is really pretty. I have a fish named picasso too!
I am glad to hear he is ok after his fall.
accidents happen. I once had my 2 gallon tank fall over..My fish went with it, He survived..but I had another fish who decided to jump out of his tank..he wasn't so lucky unfortunately.
Picasso's fins look a bit ripped and I can't tell if it is finrot or maybe he just tore them when he fell..The bigger chunk missing is making me think tail-biting though, but I am not so sure.
That is cute how he got his name, just make sure to remove any uneatten food after a minute or two...Uneaten food can sometimes mess up water quality and cause ammonia to spike.
Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing more of Picasso..He is a cutie.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #3 
Leeniex

Hiya! I'm a newbie from CT too.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #4 
Amity

Thanks for the reply!

Tail biting you say? Why do betta do that? Do you also have any recommendations regarding is torn fins?
Amity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #5 
TequilatheBetta

I think bettas tail bite when they are really stressed, or some are just born to tail bite. I would say just add some extra aquarium salt next water change. Make sure it is already dissolved.
And welcome to the forum!
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Some bettas bite because their fins are heavy...some bite because they're bored..some bite because they're stressed...some bite to be biting... At least that is the case for my picasso...took me awhile to figure out what was going on until I caught him going in circles and biting himself.

I am not 100% sure that is what is going on here though...because you did mention a fall, and it could be possible it got torn then..or it may be a little bit of fin-rot..but I am not sure. If you fill out this http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 and post it in the Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies section, along with the photo..the other forum members might be able to ID what is going on with his fins a little better...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote