Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #1 
moomin

Smile Newbie would like some advice please

Hello!

I am a complete beginner and have just bought my first aquarium, been doing a lot of research and just wanted to ask you lovely people for some advice if that's ok!

I've got a Juwel Rekord 120 (120 litre/26 gallon) aquarium and have given it a nice clean up today and will be starting to set it up this week. Obviously won't be getting any fish for a while but I would really like a betta.

Anyways, I have been looking into what kind of fish I would like to keep with my betta that would be compatible. I was thinking of:

- Harlequin Rasbora
- Rummy Nose Terta
- Golden Pencilfish
- Neon Terta/Cardinal Tetra

My question is, are these fish suitable? If so, which ones and how many of each for the size of tank I have?

Also... what order would you add them to the tank? Betta first/last etc?

I have read some conflicting advice so far so would be interested as to what you all think!

Emma x
moomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #2 
diablo13

I'm sorry, I tried to answer this yesterday but my itouch ran out of power. I can help you with some of your questions. Harlequin Rasboras are an excellent choice, they may look bland in stores, but if taken good care of the area around their black triangles turn neon orange. They are generally peaceful, and they are schooling fish so as a minimum I would get 6, much better would be 7-8. I'm not exactly sure about the pencilfish, sorry. For Rummy-Nose and Cardinal tetras, these would not be good choices, because the larger tetras tend to be very nippy and may harm your betta. For Neon Tetras, they are still a little nippy, but they can be put with bettas, because of their size they can't do much more than a teeny nip. They are also schooling fish, so 6 as minimum, but to reduce nipping I would get 8. Keep in mind not to get both of these, it's either-or. And you always add the betta last, after acclimating release the fish you choose, they after about 15-30 minutes, release the betta. This is just my opinion, you may want to get more
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #3 
moomin

That's really helpful thanks! Didn't think anyone was going to reply! shame about the rummy nose as I really like them. Nevermind!

I think golden pencil fish should be ok as they seem like peaceful fish from what I've read. I suppose the rule is the more in a shoal the better really with regards to fin nipping?

Will start with the harlequin rasboras then! Can't Wait!
moomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #4 
diablo13

Yup, that's how it works! I Suppose you may be able to get Rummy-Noses, but you'd need like 10-11, so you might as well not overstock your tank. Glad I was able to help :D
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote