Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #1 
Norichan

Talking Cryo- my tattered lovely boy

It is my exquisite pleasure to introduce Cryo, my newly-adopted peacock-colored betta. Purpleish at the front, but gradually more blue with some shimmery green. Lovely boy!

Cryo has a story. He was given to my friend's brother as an unexpected gift. His friend was also given a red betta. The two decided they would be brothers. So somewhere out there Cryo, who is quite obviously blue, has a red counterpart, Pyro. For this reason the brother's only stipulation was that I keep his name.

However, the brother did not sign on to keep a pet, and he doesn't have a whole lot of attention span for their upkeep. He would feed him, but was reluctant to clean his tank. Actually, when I visited a couple weeks ago, there was algae growing in the tank, which I was told was a routine occurrence.

Don't get me wrong- he's not a bad kid. But this pet, though lovely, was kinda just foisted on him. So I volunteered to take him off his hands. He agreed.

I can't tell what breed he is exactly, but he's large and expensive, either Delta or Half Moon. His fins are quite damaged- the plants in his tank, while pretty, were very pointy and cruel, hence why he won't spread his fins enough for me to tell. I gave him some out of the goldfish tank with no sharp leaves, and a little bridge, and some dignified blue gravel (the gravel he came with was bright, neon, candy-colored stuff- tank used to belong to his sister). He's very sedentary, mostly just sits and tries to heal. I feed him lots of protein, bloodworms and brine shrimp.

And he's extremely shy. He runs away from his reflection and does not flare. In fact, I've caught him lurking under the bridge more than once, like a little aquatic troll. His color and attitude have led the boyfriend to nickname him 'the timid Gyarados' (for any Pokemon fans or former fans). Endearingly contradictory, especially since Mongkut is so active and aggressive. Hopefully he'll perk up and have some spark after he's healed. Until then, he's under my excessive care. He will likely be coming to live in the bf's room at college.

So, here's hoping for a long and happy future for Cryo! <3
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

That's a beautiful fishy! I'm glad you were able to give him a good home. :) I have to say though, I don't believe that is a delta tail or HM. I think it is a very large veil tail. :) Very pretty though. Congrats!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 
Sarahlydear

Oh the poor boy.
I have a similar betta that is healing and doesn't move or come out a lot, but he's already getting better. I'm sure yours will too; it's amazing what a little TLC can do for a betta!
But he's very pretty. :)
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #4 
Norichan

Thank you very much :D I'm so proud of him!

O.o You really think he could be a VT? His tail is sooo looooong! I was a little perplexed by its shape, but I guess I'll have a clearer idea when he's healed.
Maybe his tail just looks fuller to me because his top fin is so damaged and reduced. But I'm not yet an expert, so I'll trust to your judgement ^_^
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

That is indeed a very long tail by an standards, but I do think it is a veiltail. :) So beautiful.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #6 
Norichan

Update: I've had Cryo for a little under a week now, and I've been feeding him a high protein diet. His fins are starting to knit themselves back together, dramatic difference! Hopefully we'll start to see some regrowth on his top fin soon. He's more lively today than I've seen him before. Still quite passive, but it's a step in the right direction! =D