Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #1 
caitic10

Yay! Another Betta! Questions!

My mom has decided to take Po to her new office. *sniff* he was a pretty little guy and I'll miss him but.....Im getting another betta!

In the next week or so, my dad is taking me to four different pet stores to find my new betta. I really want a Orange Dalmation or Dragon......but Im not keeping my hopes incase I get disapointed.

All I can say is Yay!!!

So....now for the questions:
What are signs of a sick betta? I know bloating and ick but what else should I look out for?
What does Fin Rot look like?
Should the betta be flaring? Is it bad if he isn't?

Thanks~
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Lethargy, grey belly, bulgy eyes and rapid breathing are signs of a sick betta.
Fin rot usually looks like the fins have black or red edging with tears and bits falling off.
In a petstore if bettas are not carded they get desensiised towards each other and don't flare as much. Left alone long enough, they should flare again.

And yay new betta! Don't forget pics :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #3 
tsoto80

Why is your mom fishnapping/kidnapping your betta anyways? lol
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #4 
caitic10

He was her's first, but I took care of him and he became mine. He's still mine, but at her office. Lol.

Thanks! By flaring, I mean flaring at my finger. Ive seen a few beauties looking perfectly healthy but not flaring at my finger. Is that alright?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #5 
tsoto80

Some of my bettas did not flare when I first got them. I think it is okay. I personally am more concerned by if they make some acknowledgment towards me or if they just float around like they are knocking on Deaths door.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 
caitic10

Oh, okay. Thanks! :)
Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #7 
cgchad

I keep telling my fiancee to not get hung up on the colors or fin types. The colors you see in those little cups are generally very dull compared to how they will look when you get them in good water, calmed down and under proper lighting. (Adonis and Furi are great examples of that)

The way I usually decide is I find 3 or 4 healthy looking ones, and if they have something that sets them apart from the others, I watch them all for a few minutes, with little or no interaction from me. In a very short time, you will usually find one that picks you, not the other way around.

The way we ended up with Eros was, while my Fiancee was looking for a couple females, and one more male. I noticed Eros sitting up there in his little cup staring at me, and wiggling back and forth. Every time she would walk near him he would immediately swim toward her, and I swear if he could have barked he would have done it to get her attention.
It wasn't the one she wanted, but at the same time should couldn't resist his charms. (Eros is the greek version of cupid). Funny thing is we ended up going back the next day and getting the one she was originally interested in. (Sterling).
cgchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #8 
caitic10

Ive picked fish before....it was sooo long ago though.

Im sooo excited! I have months worth of savings to spend on this fish and its tank! My mom is taking me to one lfs tommorow!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #9 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgchad View Post
I keep telling my fiancee to not get hung up on the colors or fin types. The colors you see in those little cups are generally very dull compared to how they will look when you get them in good water, calmed down and under proper lighting. (Adonis and Furi are great examples of that)

The way I usually decide is I find 3 or 4 healthy looking ones, and if they have something that sets them apart from the others, I watch them all for a few minutes, with little or no interaction from me. In a very short time, you will usually find one that picks you, not the other way around.
I like that!! +100
Old 08-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #10 
fightergirl2710

I agree they definitely pick you and hook you on to buying them. If you take too long, none of them like you lol! J/k
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote