Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #1 
DoxieDiva

Unhappy Super bummed :(

I have wanted to let another "real" aquarium up in the house since I took my 75g down last year. It finally got to be too much for me to take care of (I have a reoccuring cancer so I always seem to be in some type of treatment or having surgery so carrying really heavy buckets are no-go. I really need something smaller that I can use a smaller bucket to do changes and not have to make a million trips to get it done)... but I find the tanks so relaxing and really want one that I can do something with. I have even bought each current boy a pet snail (small) and some ghost shrimp (dinner.. *sigh*) We currently have 2 3.5g tanks set up for the boys in the house... one beside hubby's recliner and the other is in our bedroom.

There is another end table in our living room that is not being used. It is made of solid oak and more sturdy than most tank stands these days so I figured I would put a tank on it. It held a 10g fry tank years ago when I had my cichlids going. I had bought a marineland 20g set up that I was going to put on it. It dawned on me after I bought it that the tank got very little natural sunlight and it was LED lights which meant the plants I wanted would likely not survive so I returned it today.

I guess there was more than one reason for returning it. I was having a brain fart and was thinking a 20g high was the same footprint as a 10g just taller (guess I was thinking a 15 high though) so tonight I was measuring the stand because I knew there was extra room when the 10g was on it and was hopeful that I could maybe get a 20 long on the stand... much to my surprise I think the stand has shrunk! LOL.... It is a good thing I didnt keep the 20g because it would not have fit on the stand :( I am about 1/2" short in the length dept for it work out. I will not let any tank hang over the edge because I think it is too much pressure on the seams. If a 20g were exactly 24" I might try it even though it would still be 1/4" too short but with it being 1/2" I think it is too risky.

Needless to say I am super bummed out.. I had the vision of this gorgeous 20g tank that had a beautiful betta has a centerpiece for it. So... now I am back to looking for other ideas. I had heard mixed reviews about doing a 20g tank with a betta in it before (I was told it was too tall, etc) but I know it can be done... esp if you have nice tall plants with great resting hammock leaves!

All this does is make me really miss having my 75g tank that much more. It is sitting in my back bedroom tormenting me to the point that I have thought about selling it to get it out of the house and away from the temptation of setting it back up.
DoxieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote