Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 
Salamandair

New Owner's Common questions!

Please excuse me if these questions are in the wrong forum. I'm extremely new :)

I'm going to get a Betta fish tomorrow (08/15) and have a few questions. I've done a bit of research and found some conflicting things, some coming from googling, some coming from this site.

1. Would at least a 1 gallon tank be sufficient for a Betta? I don't have enough room in my tiny room for a 5 gallon tank, so if I can get away with a 1-1.5 gallon tank, it'd be great!

2. How often do I need to change the water? I've heard that you should do 25% water changes daily, with 100% water changes weekly, but my boyfriend (who has only bought a Betta once and it wasn't for himself) says that that's excessive and it should only be 100% water change done weekly. Help? D:

3. I know that a heater is essential, but I live in Florida, so therefore, it gets very hot during the summer (like it is now.) Do I still need the heater in there to regulate the temperature to 76-82 Degrees or should I just leave it out?

4. If I do get at least a 1.5 gallon tank, should I just leave out the filter? At the moment, I'm cash strapped, so I CAN get a filter if I need to, buuut if I can get away with not having one just temporarily, then I will.

I'm sorry if some of these questions and comments make you wanna rant at me, but...I'm so confused and need help. Thanks!
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

1. Would at least a 1 gallon tank be sufficient for a Betta? I don't have enough room in my tiny room for a 5 gallon tank, so if I can get away with a 1-1.5 gallon tank, it'd be great!

If you can get a 2 gallon kritter keeper, I'd do that. They're small enough to fit easily, but big enough for the Betta. If you can't do that, a 1 gal is okay with daily water changes, probably 25% one day, 100% the next, and start again.

2. How often do I need to change the water? I've heard that you should do 25% water changes daily, with 100% water changes weekly, but my boyfriend (who has only bought a Betta once and it wasn't for himself) says that that's excessive and it should only be 100% water change done weekly. Help? D:

That really depends on the size of the tank and if you have a filter or no. If it's a larger tank, you can get away with less water changes, and even less with a filter. If it's a smaller tank, you're looking at more. And one a week, esp. in a gallon, is not enough.

3. I know that a heater is essential, but I live in Florida, so therefore, it gets very hot during the summer (like it is now.) Do I still need the heater in there to regulate the temperature to 76-82 Degrees or should I just leave it out?

As long as the temperature stays around 78*, at least, you should be fine. If you're not certain, get the heater to make sure.

4. If I do get at least a 1.5 gallon tank, should I just leave out the filter? At the moment, I'm cash strapped, so I CAN get a filter if I need to, buuut if I can get away with not having one just temporarily, then I will.

Filters are nice, but yes, you can do without one. Just keep up on the water changes and you'll be fine. Filters will cut your work load drastically though.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

OH, and welcome! :D
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #4 
Salamandair

Thank you so much for the help, NCPanthers!

If I get a 2 gallon tank (I'm going to Petsmart tommorow, I hope they have it!), how often would I have to change the water in the tank? I just don't wanna kill my new fish just as soon as I get it! D:

Also, will the pet store have a liquid test kit? Should I use that the first time I fill up my tank with Spring water?

Thank you so much for your help! I know I must be annoying.. :)
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #5 
tsoto80

A one gallon is fine but keep in mind the smaller his home is the more you have to change his water. I would recommend 2 50% and 1 100% on his water change. Basically every other day. For the water temp first get a thermometer- the kind that goes into the water not the kind that sticks on the glass. The one that sticks on the glass measures the temp of the glass not the water itself. Do not get a heater for a tank that small. They do have micro heaters but I believe it is for tanks 2.5-5 gallons. You could use a heat lamp or place it in the warmest part of the house if it gets too cold. Filters I find to be pointless on any tanks less than 5 gallons. They do have really small ones (which I got one on my 2.5 tank) but it doesnt really filter the water, it more less just adds current to keep the film off the surface of the water. You could use plain ol tap water but you have to have dechlorinatorwhich keeps your fish safe from harmful toxins, however well water is usually safe. Good luck and keep us posted!
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #6 
NCPanthersgurl

No, no problem :) Glad you're being responsible enough to ask! lol. I change my 2gal Kritter Keeper's every other day. I use lukewarm water from the tap because tap water has minerals that are good for your fish. Make sure to get a water conditioner; API and Tetra have nice ones. And stress coat is nice. I always add two drops of each; but it depends on the conditioner, and there's usually instructions on the back. The water conditioner takes out ammonia and harmful metals, as well as a couple other chemicals I believe. It's handy to have even if you're using spring water, in my opinion.

Most of the major pet stores do have some kind of liquid test kit. You can use it if you like, I don't but I know it's good if you're really unsure of your water. :)
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #7 
Salamandair

Thank you, NCPanthers and tsoto80 for all of your info! I'm writing everything down and I'll keep everyone updated on my new fish! :D
Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #8 
Salamandair

Oh and one more question!

I occasionally light scented candles. Should I stop doing this once I get a Betta so as to not contaminate its water? I know that spritzing perfume around is an AWFUL idea, but I'm not sure about candles.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

You should be fine, if you're concerned distance it from the tank. Light it across the room or something. :)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #10 
Luimeril

many of mine are in 2 gallon Kritter keepers. you can find them where they have the rodent stuff, and cost less than many 1-1.5 gallon tanks! :O

water changes vary from person to person. i, personally, do 100% water changes twice a week, but some do 2 50% and one 100% every week.

they don't NEED filters. none of mine have them, but my Caroline, who lived in my 1.5 gallon, enjoyed the filter(and it moved her moss, and she liked that).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish care, help me!!!!, new owner, questions