Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #11 
Bettaluver4evr

Hello! Welcome to the wonderful world of betta keeping. :) I second everything everyone says. Here's what I'd do with a 2 gallon unfiltered tank. Setup a 1 gallon jug with spring water or dechlorinated water and set it aside for partial water changes. 2x a week do 100% water changes, and 2 days a week do 50% water changes. Partials barely take any time at all, and 100%'s are also very easy. :) I only filter one of my 4 betta tanks, because I've had problems with betta fins and filters. Tears occur pretty easily for me. ;/ Just something to consider. Pleeeeease post pics of your new fishy when you bring him or her home! What tail type were you thinking of getting? :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #12 
Salamandair

Wow, thanks for the welcomes and the responses!

I actually bought my little Betta today and I'm not sure what type he is. Right now, I have him sitting in a cup while his 3.5 Gallon filtered tank (silly me didn't think to get a 2 gallon one till I left the store. Doh!) is filtered for 45 minutes or so. I think, with the filter, I'll a 100% water change a week, unless that's too little? D:

How long should I get the filter sit before I bob Wheatley (that's his name! :D) in the tank?
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #13 
Bettaluver4evr

3.5 filtered is better than 2 gallons! :D Congrats. :) You can't really cycle a 3.5 gallon, so just let the filter do it's work for a few hours while the temperature stabilizes. Then slowly acclimate the new guy by first floating his cup in the tank for about 20 minutes, then dumping out a bit of nasty cup water into the sink and putting a little clean tank water in the cup. This lets the betta get used to the new water temp and "taste". Do this every 5ish minutes for 30 minutes, then carefully release the lil guy. :) A filtered 3.5 gallon could get 2 50% water changes a week for 3 weeks, then a 100%. :) That's what I'd do. :) Congrats! We want pics pics pics. Pleeeeeease? :)
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #14 
tsoto80

thats great you went with a 3.5 tank! I know Wheatley will greatly enjoy the swimming space. I would recommend doing at least one 50% and one 100% weekly. Even though you have a filter I do not think good bacteria will be able to establish in the filter because of all the water changes. I would say run the tank for 24 hours before you put him in to get the filter somewhat working. Did you get a thermometer, plants, and other deco? We expect plenty of pics around here!! We go gaga over them lol
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #15 
Salamandair

Thanks for the advice, Bettaluver! I'm gonna keep it running until 7 (I've had it cycling for about an hour now), then do what you said!

I did manage to take a few of Wheatley. He didn't try to hide from the camera. He actually posed a few times before I turned on the flash, which may have scared him again .__. Whoops.

Pictures are coming momentarily!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #16 
Salamandair

Alright, here are the pictures of my Wheatley! Sorry they are of crappy quality. My other camera is dead and I had to use the crappy one :<

And sorry, they stretch out the page. So not my intention!

The picture above is the best where you can see a slight gap in his fins. I'll get a better picture later, but I noticed it when I got home? His fins don't look rotten or anything, so d'you think it's just stress?

And this is his tank!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #17 
Bettaluver4evr

Excellent! :) Glad to hear it. Wheatley is a veil tail! :) They are hard to photograph. :P Very pretty, and very nice tank. I've been trying all day to take pics of my newest betta Coral. I haven't gotten a new fishy since febuary, I'm really excited. I do not see a gap in his fins though.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #18 
NCPanthersgurl

Aww he's cute, and the tank is awesome. I love VTs! Both of mine have awesome personalities, especially my Jazz {Avatar fishy} :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #19 
NCPanthersgurl

Oh, and the little cave? My Jazz has that in his tank, he loves it. :D
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #20 
Salamandair

Thank you both! A Veil Tail..My Wheatley is a pretty boy! I can't wait to see his personality shine through!
Right now, he's kind of hanging at the top of the cup and when I put my hand up, he sorts of backs away. I'm chalking it up to the fact that he's been through a loot and isn't the most sociable right now.

Turns out the gap in his tail was actually the bottom of his pelvic fin, I think. It's a white/silver color and makes it look like there's a gap in his tail. Silly boy!

Tags
betta fish care, help me!!!!, new owner, questions