Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #21 
Salamandair

Really, NCPanther? I saw that cave and automatically fell in love with it. :D It seems so cute!
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #22 
NCPanthersgurl

It might have ripped at one point; new growth comes in like that. :) And yeah, once they get used to you Betta's are so amazing personality wise.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #23 
Salamandair

Oh man, I just can't wait until he gets used to his tank. :D

Two questions:
1. Do I need to test the water for Ammonia and all that before I put him in? I put about 3 (maybe 5 on accident!) drops of decholirnator in there.
2. The temperature seems to be staying at about 86 degrees. Is that okay for him?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #24 
tsoto80

That temp is too high for him. Wait until it gets down to 78 or so. anywhere in the green zone on your thermometer is fine
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #25 
NCPanthersgurl

It doesn't hurt to put a bit more. If you have a test kit, you can if you like. Probably not necessary, but it really depends on the water source. City water is usually the one that needs most testing.

86 is okay, bit high... don't let it get to 90. lol. I let that happen once, nearly boiled my poor fish. >.<
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #26 
Salamandair

Okay :) Is there any way to cool it down faster? Like Ice cubes (Okay, maybe not a good idea..) or something similiar? I just hate to leave him in that nasty cup of water.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #27 
Salamandair

NCPanthers: Thanks! I'll put in about two more drops, just to make it about 5-7 drops for sure. I DO have strips to test (Strips=Bad, I know, but..I didn't have any liquid! D:), but if it's not necessary, then I want to avoid using it XD

Last edited by Salamandair; 08-15-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #28 
Salamandair

I hate to triple post, but I have to ask:

Is it okay to take a bit of water (like, half a Petsmart cup) worth of tank water and put it in with the nasty water Wheatley is sitting in now? It's sitting at 86 as I'm trying to get it to go down. Not working out too well, though.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #29 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...and what a lovely Betta you found.......

And yes, add some tank water to the holding cup-if the tank water is too hot...make a small water change with cooler water before you add the Betta....Be sure and save the cup and lid...it is great to have on hand to use for QT container if needed.

In a 3.5gal filtered tank-make 50% twice weekly water changes.....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method-As long as you are careful-leave the Betta in the tank during water changes.

Filter media needs a rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month

Be sure and try to keep the water temp between new and old water within a couple of degree of each other with water changes

Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank as a general rule

You may or may not need a heater, but its a good idea to have one on hand...your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range

Fish need a day and night schedule-turn off the lights at night

You do need a thermometer to monitor both the tank temp and temp of replacement water used for water changes

Water-its best to use tap water with a dechlorinator....bottled water, spring water, distilled water...etc.....are not healthy for long term fish health....

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

Remove uneaten food within a reasonable time

Be sure and properly acclimate the new Betta to both temp and water chemistry by adding small amount of dechlorinated tank water to the pet shop water over 20-30 min...toss all pet shop water...you don't want to add this to the tank.....

Most important....Have Fun and Enjoy your wet-pet.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #30 
Salamandair

Thank you so much for the advice, oldfishlady! I'm going to put some new water in the cup now. I should put a drop of dechlorinator in there, even if I'm using a cup or a half cup of water, right?

Tags
betta fish care, help me!!!!, new owner, questions