Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #1 
hmckin20

sponge filter problem..

so, my tank currently looks like this:

(yay tropicalfishkeeping.com!)

andd the sponge filter i have installed, works wonders. i ordered my second today. however it's located on flair's side and it seems to both be bothering flair (with all the turbulence) and not be reaching pierce's side.

i have a divider made of two sheets of plastic canvas. i was thinking- would it be a good idea to maybe cut out a small section of one of the sides of the canvas (the really annoying crooked side), place the sponge filter there, and in a dome like fashion put a single sheet of canvas around it on either side? that way, it's between both sides, and the turbulence isn't bothering just one fish.

good idea y/n?
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

get an air control valve for your air line, then you can control the flow.

I love sponge filters and it's all i use, i put one in each section of a divided tank
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #3 
hmckin20

oooh, that's a good idea!

geez i do too. my betta can float all around them effortlessly.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #4 
Draug Isilme

I was told air control valves end up adding pressure to the pump and it was better to get a gang valve like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147137
I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense to me.. that way you can get the right amount of air flow needed and distribute out the excess air so it won't mess up your pump ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

They're really look like the same thing - they both control the flow of air, whether it's a single or one like the gang valve that you can use to run multiple lines. I use those on my divided tanks. If it helps the pump I'm unaware, but great :)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
They're really look like the same thing - they both control the flow of air, whether it's a single or one like the gang valve that you can use to run multiple lines. I use those on my divided tanks. If it helps the pump I'm unaware, but great :)
Well, they pretty much are the same thing, but I'm not absolutely sure how the air control valve works exactly.. Ya know, like if it does actually distribute the excess air out so there isn't really any pressure going back to the pump, or it it's more like a clamp... I'm just going off of what I was told and with the way the air control valve looks, to me, it makes sense to get the gang valve. Not absolutely sure if the person knows 100% about air control valves, but maybe you can shed some light on the subject for me? Does the air control valve let out any excess pressure? I was planning on buying the gang valve if not, 'cause I'm making my own filter and I'd like to lessen the air flow as well.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote