Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #1 
inkrealm

Snail Waste?

does anyone know what it looks like? I've got this white stuff in my tank that looks like dead worms... like it's white and curled up in a loose "C" like a dead worm would be... but is it just snail waste? I don't want to put my betta in it because I'm scared it might BE worms and maybe they're in the water D:
if it is snail waste will it harm my betta? I clean it out but I just get more...

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-04-2011 at 03:40 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 
inkrealm

edit: I found a better way of describing... if you've ever seen freeze-dried bloodworms... they look like THAT. only white. :/ they definitely don't move, and I've never seen one 'alive' but maybe when they are 'alive' they're too small for me tosee....
Old 11-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Similar to this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimli/840891336/

I know that's not an aquatic snail, but snail poop is snail poop.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #4 
inkrealm

no, like super stringy ( thin I mean ), brittle and white. picture those freeze dried bloodworms that are all flaky and emaciated looking, but only the curved ones, and then make them white...
these ones not the pretty plump ones like these

if you look close at the first picture you'll see what I mean, they're really dried out and flaky. they look nothing like the second photo.
I'll try to find a better close up, but not having much luck...
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 
inkrealm

can't find one... I'm going to try to find a good example and take a picture if I can...
my snail is also itsy bitsy though... so maybe that's why it's so tiny?
I guess I could add a very little bit of main tank water to his hospital tank so I could control it.... that's kindof what I thought I'd do to transfer him over anyway... so I could make sure the water wasn't going to have any adverse effects onhim before just plunging him into it...
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

hmmm. You don't have a betta or any other fish in there do you? It sounds more like a parasite to me since it's white and thin. I could be wrong though. I've never owned any snails after all.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #7 
inkrealm

nope, JUST the snail. ( edit: I also have some plants... I had moneywort at one time, and I tried some anarcharis that did awful, and the moneywort did awful this time too for some reason even though it did great the first... and then I had an amazon sword that died at one point, and an anubias, which is still well alive and kicking. :3 if I remember right the snail came in with the anarcharis, and I think that'shen the white stuff started too... I also have an algae ball, the plant, not a ball of alagae plants) it's my blue boy's home but I took him out for finrot that refused to heal, and then I found this stuff and didn't wanna put him back in it.
I can't get the camera to focus though...
if it is parasites, how would I get rid of it? I clean it out every time...
if it is just snail waste, you think it'd be okay?
I'm going ot clean it out again and keep it pristine a couple days and see what happens. then I'll let it go to the normal water change schedule I'd do if he were in there.. for a five gallon probably a 50 on Sunday and a 50 on Thursday? ( it's cycled )
and once it's been on that a bit I'm going to add a little into his tank and watch really closely... :/ I can't see any way of identifying it... I suppose I could temporarily remove the snail as well and see if it keeps coming.... but then where would I put her? she'd have no food source... maybe I should just get rid of her all together... I heard they can carry parasites that humans can get, so maybe a fish could get it too?

with the second wave of moneywort I got black algae, the second reason why I didn't move him back in. but I removed the plants and scrubbed the sides down with the sponge. ( leaving the water in and sucking the mold out and changing the water with a series of 50's )

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-04-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

I think you could safely get away with just a 50% weekly fora filtered and cycled 5 gallon.

If you can get another container to put your snail in to test though. That would be a good way to see if she's producing ti as well, and so long as the 5 gallon doesn't have any living hosts, if it is parasites, they'll die off relatively quickly. I'm sure a tupperware would work for your snail, just keep it bare bottom to see what she's excreting. You could put some fish food in there and make sure it sinks so she could get it too, or algae wafers maybe?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #9 
inkrealm

ohhh. yes. -stupid- I feel like a blonde ( blonde not blond :3 ) now, rofl. if it is the snail she gives off a LOT of waste FAST. so I would be able to see it in HER container quickly. x3; -facepalm- you think she'd take Betta Pellets? I've got no wafers and my mom's definitely not gonna let me buy food for the snail. cx but I could do betta food. I could put her in the betta's cup since it's not in use right now, just leave her long enough to see, then if it's safe put her back and rinse it out well with no issue...
alright, yeah, that's a good idea x^o; the white stuff has been around for a long while with nothing but plants and the tiny snail, so surely it couldn't be? I'll go catch the snail though~ rofl, thanks for that brilliant suggestion x.x; and I guess I can at least try the betta's food. I'll post the results. ^~^;
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

I think they like some veggies too. Just boil them to get rid of the pesticides and to soften them up. I know my sister's missing ghost shrimp liked cucumber and mollies will eat zucchini, so I think a snail will find any boiled vegetable a tasty treat.