Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #11 
Myates

1 50% and 1 100% water changes per week for 1g, need to raise the temp, they like the higher 70s to lower 80s and even though he may of been active prior, being in constant cold water does catch up to them and makes them sluggish.
Bettafix = bad.
Fungus guard.. unless you see fungus.. no need to use it, most likely more harm then good.
Stress coat is good to use.
You mentioned you wanted to get him on AQ salt regularly.. unless you are healing him, don't use it on any normal occasion - it will actually make him sick after a period of time. (healing him as in fin rot, etc)
And get a water dechlorinator, PH down is something you do only when trying to balance your PH, could be doing a lot more harm with that then anything else. That will stress out your fish big time, as well as not take out the ammonia and such.

Any more questions, OFL is very knowledgeable and where I got my info :)

Last edited by Myates; 08-15-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #12 
MaineBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
1 50% and 1 100% water changes per week for 1g, need to raise the temp, they like the higher 70s to lower 80s and even though he may of been active prior, being in constant cold water does catch up to them and makes them sluggish.
Bettafix = bad.
Fungus guard.. unless you see fungus.. no need to use it, most likely more harm then good.
Stress coat is good to use.
You mentioned you wanted to get him on AQ salt regularly.. unless you are healing him, don't use it on any normal occasion - it will actually make him sick after a period of time. (healing him as in fin rot, etc)
And get a water dechlorinator, PH down is something you do only when trying to balance your PH, could be doing a lot more harm with that then anything else. That will stress out your fish big time, as well as not take out the ammonia and such.

Any more questions, OFL is very knowledgeable and where I got my info :)
The thing is, I am not sure if there is fungus or not, I just know he is not doing well at all as of late. I am not using dechlorinator because I am using well water, so all I am doing is controlling the PH.
MaineBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #13 
youlovegnats

Myates seems to have ya covered! Also, don't use AQ salt if you don't need it. It can end up really hurting your fish. Just use it only for open cuts/sores and fin rot.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #14 
MaineBetta

I am assuming there is fungus because of the symptoms I am seeing. Hopefully he gets better with the fungus guard in the coming days. I will continue treatments with that. He can only go so long without eating though :(
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #15 
youlovegnats

You still want to use dechlor. as well. Trust me it helps.
It's not really a good idea to treat for something you don't know is 100% that certain disease, it can end up doing more harm than good. :/

As for eating- Try soaking the pellets in garlic juice, he should take to that. :)
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #16 
MaineBetta

I will try the garlic juice tomorrow when I take some water out to change it again and see what happens. I have some dechlor tablets that I can also put in my next batch of water.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #17 
MaineBetta

His gills seem to be working overtime, and he can only swim in short bursts when you shake the tank to get him to move. He swims quickly for a bit and then sinks to the bottom as if he has absolutely no more energy. Should I transfer him to a small dish to try and feed him and such rather than leaving him in the big tank?

Last edited by MaineBetta; 08-15-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #18 
MaineBetta

Well, he just died :( I think he was too far gone to be saved. I read the stickies though, and when I shined a flashlight on him, around his gills and eyes was some gold color described by velvet which I think now for sure is probably what he had. I should have got the aquarium salt earlier to start treating before hand. Live you learn I guess. I will know more for the next one. Thanks a lot for all your help.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #19 
youlovegnats

Oh noooo! I'm so sorry to hear this! :( I'm sure he appreciated what you did for him :')
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #20 
earthworm88

Mainebetta, sorry to hear that your betta had passed away. I also hope you take heed of the advice given above by many well-meaning and probably more experienced fishkeepers. If you decide to keep betta later on, you really need to read the betta care sticky thoroughly.

What you had described earlier regarding his symptoms (bar the gold specks revelation at the end), the easiest and safest way is to make sure the water was fresh and everything was stable before jumping into medications if you were not 100% sure or could not see any signs of them.

What was your pH coming out of the well? If you are adjusting the pH with the upper and downer, you really need to have a test kit to confirm the value as you probably know a one step change could mean a world of a difference to those fish. pH for betta does not have to be the exact neutral of 7 as they can adapt if the value is within the healthy range for them and it is best that way. Less chemical, less worry and work on your part and less yo-yo-ing for them to deal with.

Again, thank you for sharing with us, and sorry for the loss of your betta.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote