Betta Fish Forum banner

Water Change Questions

810 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Nippyfish 
#1 ·
I usually keep my bettas in at least a five gallon but I'm moving into an apartment where I don't know if I can fit my tank. I inherited from a friend a betta in what I think is a 2.5 gallon unfiltered tank. My question is how many water changes and of what volume would I have to do per week to keep the tank healthy?

#4 ·
The rate that a betta fish fouls the water depends on the betta’s metabolism, the food you feed, other organic waste, the temperature, etc. There are lots of “rules of thumb” but the best way to determine how frequently you need change the water is to do a simple experiment. Do a full 100% water change and then begin testing your water for toxic ammonia once per day. When your test kit first registers trace amounts then you know you can’t go any longer than that. For example, if you test your water every day and on the 6th day you notice ammonia is beginning to register, then from then on you should change your water every 5 days. If it takes 9 days for toxins to register, then you have to clean it every 8 days. Make sense? If you change something drastic in your aquarium (like your betta’s diet) then repeat the test over as your cleaning schedule may need to shift slightly.

#5 ·
I agree to the fact that several things are a factor in regards to water quality issues, however, since water test kits only test "parts per million" (ppm) they are limited in what they pick up....you also have to factor in DOC's (dissolved organic compound) that we don't test for....sometimes a good ole rule of thumb is needed......

In a 2.5gal unfiltered tank-twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality and fin health.......

Live active growing plants can sometimes change water change needs....

#6 ·
I agree to the fact that several things are a factor in regards to water quality issues, however, since water test kits only test "parts per million" (ppm) they are limited in what they pick up....you also have to factor in DOC's (dissolved organic compound) that we don't test for....sometimes a good ole rule of thumb is needed......
Woops, just to clarify, I didn't mean to knock rules of thumb. (Believe me, when you have multiple tanks you aren't going to do water changes 7 days per week) I'm just a huge proponent of water testing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.