Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 03:00 AM   #1 
beasley

since im not qualified yet

HERES my GORGEOUS new male <3 unnamed at the moment

sucks tho cuz the poor fellow just went crazy on his tail and i believe he was biting it off..im still in the process of getting gravel/caves etc

&& this this him now :'( it makes me teary

i have him quarantined just in case
beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #2 
Snappyarcher

Betta splendens needs a good well planted tank to be truly happy.... Fairly dense vegetation and caves is thought to reduce the number of times it sees it's own tail on it's peripheral vision and therefore stops it thinking its tail is another male and attacking it. I see you are keeping it in bare tanks.... Try to avoid this at all costs. You are seeing the results of doing so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Snappyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #3 
beasley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappyarcher View Post
Betta splendens needs a good well planted tank to be truly happy.... Fairly dense vegetation and caves is thought to reduce the number of times it sees it's own tail on it's peripheral vision and therefore stops it thinking its tail is another male and attacking it. I see you are keeping it in bare tanks.... Try to avoid this at all costs. You are seeing the results of doing so.
Posted via Mobile Device
is that what kind of fish he is?? here i am thinking he was a half moon. yeah i got him on a whim so i just got the plants and a divider in the meantime..im planning on adding gravel and such. and more plants just not sure which. cuz i am VERY new to this betta thing but im in love already :) its just soo hard cuz im on such a budget especially with a baby on the wayy!! :)

:/

THANK YOU!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #4 
Snappyarcher

Yes he is a betta splendens, this is a member of the anabantid family which includes gourami and ctenopoma fish. They all have in common a "labryinth organ" which seems to be an adapted swimbladder/ lung through which they can extract atmospheric oxygen as well as the usual fish gills. He is definitely not a half moon. the term half moon refers to a bread variety which has been bread for a specific fin shape.... Others are bread for specific colours. However it is still a betta splendens. Get the tank sorted as quick as possible and never get a fish on a whim, research Before the event is paramount in this hobby.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #5 
Snappyarcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley View Post
is that what kind of fish he is?? here i am thinking he was a half moon. yeah i got him on a whim so i just got the plants and a divider in the meantime..im planning on adding gravel and such. and more plants just not sure which. cuz i am VERY new to this betta thing but im in love already :) its just soo hard cuz im on such a budget especially with a baby on the wayy!! :)

:/

THANK YOU!!!
Bog standard pea gravel and loads of planes and bogwood.... All cheap essentials with any anabantid !
Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #6 
beasley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappyarcher View Post
Bog standard pea gravel and loads of planes and bogwood.... All cheap essentials with any anabantid !
bogwood wont tear the tail? it just seems sharp and dangerous :/ && thanks for recommending the pea gravel :) deff gonna pick that up when i get paid
Old 08-13-2011, 04:14 AM   #7 
Snappyarcher

No theres plenty if branches and bog wood etc in their natural environment ... And mine does very well with it and rocks.... Plants are key tho.... Do it today to protect the little fellas life.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #8 
beasley

yeah i got a bunch of anachrims or w.ev they are. but since i was freaking out this morning i had the plants and both of my bettas quarantined just in case it was finrot or something serious. im pretty sure he is biting his tail just not 100% sure. im gonna wait till tomorrow to put them all in their tank again. & unfortunatley the salt & decors have to wait till next weekend. cannot afford it right now at all :'(
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #9 
BetterBetta

Does the ripped parts have black or red edging on his fins? Then it may be fin rot. Treat with aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon, and perhaps stress coat to help repair tissue. IF it isn't fin rot, this should treat the bitten fins anyways. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Try putting something in the tank to help him focus on that and not his tail. Anything, some people have had success with ping pong balls.

For now, since you can't have the salts until next week, clean water should help plenty with the healing process.

Last edited by BetterBetta; 08-13-2011 at 12:27 PM.
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #10 
beasley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterBetta View Post
Does the ripped parts have black or red edging on his fins? Then it may be fin rot. Treat with aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon, and perhaps stress coat to help repair tissue. IF it isn't fin rot, this should treat the bitten fins anyways. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Try putting something in the tank to help him focus on that and not his tail. Anything, some people have had success with ping pong balls.

For now, since you can't have the salts until next week, clean water should help plenty with the healing process.
see thats where i get confussed. because when i first noticed him yesterday like this i did noticed a lil red on the top fin where it was broken off. but not alot. also his outtermost fins always had a creamish pinkish tint to them. although there is a lil FAINT red mark on his back tail. but NO BLACK im going to try to post a more clearer picture of him