Housing
What size is your tank? 1g
What temperature is your tank? changes depending upon day, runs 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? N
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? N
Is your tank heated? N
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mix of Aqua Culture pellets and Bettamin flakes with 2 FD bloodworms once sometimes twice a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? A few small flakes/day or 4 pellets/day one day a week fast.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime declor

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Extended tummy that has turned grey/silver in color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not much, maybe a little lethargic. Normally can't get him to stop swimming, now he seems more.. slow.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This afternoon during water change. His tank location has moved so I don't get to see him up close as I sit on the PC anymore.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? N/A unsure if I should, only thing I have on hand atm is AQ salt, but don't want to put it in until I know what I am dealing with, if anything.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not in my care, got him from a pet store where the water was so bad you could barely make out the fish.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure, he is about 1 1/3in long, body wise.

It's sort of hard to see from the pics, hard to get him to slow down and using my mom's camera that I went over to borrow and don't know how to use it.. so sorry for the blurriness. It doesn't look that bad in the pictures, but in life it's big and greyish/whitish/silver. He hasn't eaten for 7+ hrs from when the pics were taken, and when he had gorged himself previous times, his belly never changed colors. He hasn't had a FD bloodworm in 2 days.
His eyes aren't bloated, and his scales seem to be flush to his body when checked. Unsure if dropsy symptoms start one at a time, which ones come first, etc etc. Any info or ideas would be appreciated, thank you.

Hoping that I'm just being paranoid, I <3 my Xander!

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

No buoyancy problems, scales flush, still eating and pooping, a bit slower than usual with large tummy that has extended to the point of color change.....correct......otherwise acting his normal self...responds to you-begging for food...etc....

How long ago did you move him away from the PC and you......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #3 
Myates

Day before yesterday.
A part of me says I'm over exaggerating it all, that I'm being overly paranoid (which is what I am hoping).
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since he is otherwise acting his normal self-I would hold all food for 2 days and make 50% water only changes for 2 days.....you may want to re-acclimate him back to his tank.....

If he start to pine-cone, stops eating, become lethargic, clamp fins-I would QT and start Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% water changes for 10-14 days....

I would also cut back on your regular water changes in the 1gal unfiltered-to twice weekly 1-50% and 1-100%- or limit the 100% to weekly with 50% every other day...remove any uneaten food and cut back the food-its better to feed small frequent meals than 1-2 large meals...feed a good quality varied diet.....Exercise him 2-3 times a day by using a mirror, making him chase his food by placing it on the tip of a toothpick, adding live food like rinsed mosquito larva one a day...sometimes you have to get creative......when you moved him away from the computer and you.....he didn't have a reason to move around very much and maybe misses your company......I bet when he was next to the PC he swam, wiggled, begged for food and/or watched you all the time...he is sitting around bored getting fat.....lol......

You can have a too clean environment-you have both good and bad pathogens in the tank-by exposing the fish to all the different pathogens enable to fish to develop antibodies- that in turns helps build a strong immune response and limits stress due to too many water changes...its a balance of sorts.....healthy fish need be exposed to pathogens but at the same time maintaining water quality.....make sense......too clean and sterile like environment is not healthy.......

He is a beautiful fella by the way...nice find......
Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #5 
Myates

Thank you so much! I was under the impression 1g should be changed as often as I do it, but I suppose to each their own. I will gladly and rightfully take your advice, I really appreciate it. (not to mention easier on me doing fewer tank cleanings on my guys lol)
He was lively when he was near me. Always swimming, playing "tag" with my finger, etc. He used to like to watch me when I cooked lol. I will move him back closer to me :) I missed looking over at him anyways.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I think he misses your company and started getting depressed.....laffs......
Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #7 
Myates

lol most likely.. I liked to play around with him a lot!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #8 
Silverfang

He looks like a very handsome fish, not just saying that because he could be my Scuzi's brother. Honestly a few tears in his fins are the only issues I can see from the pictures.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #9 
Myates

Yeah, his new cave had a needle type plant and they ripped :(