Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #1 
jman828

Unhappy Betta Jumped Out!

My betta just jumped out of his tank onto the floor.....i put him back in and he is swimming and got some air from the top but his tail fell off (some of it) fell of so he has a flat spot where it used to be, he can swim still but i dont know if he'll be okay is there anything i can do to help?? MY POOR FISH ! please help!
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

i would suggest lowering the water level in ur tank so it's easier for him to get to the surface to get air .. also i would put some aq salt so his fins will heal faster .. and i would also give him a little bath in a 2x dosed declorinated water .. just incase he picked up any dirties or bacterias from the floor

and get a lid for that tank .. if u don't have a lid .. maybe a book (that will cover most of the top) .. or seran wrap and punch some holes in it
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....did you wet your hands before you picked him up.....

Sometimes the slime coat can be damaged and this will allow pathogens to infect him...I would go ahead and start aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days while in QT....

Qt in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76F range

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this sit for 30min-1hr to allow the tannins to release and salt dissolve...shake well before use....Use this premixed treatment water for 100% daily water changes while in the QT for 10 days....

Acclimate him to the treatment water first by making 50% water changes every hour for 2 hours and start the 100% tomorrow......

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #4 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum....did you wet your hands before you picked him up.....

Sometimes the slime coat can be damaged and this will allow pathogens to infect him...I would go ahead and start aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days while in QT....

Qt in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76F range

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this sit for 30min-1hr to allow the tannins to release and salt dissolve...shake well before use....Use this premixed treatment water for 100% daily water changes while in the QT for 10 days....

Acclimate him to the treatment water first by making 50% water changes every hour for 2 hours and start the 100% tomorrow......

Keep us posted....
I've always used 1/2 round tsp/gallon of water for protection but i will use the higher amount and will keep you posted as if goes on for 10 days
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Last week, four of my bettas got out even with lids on. One got himself stuck to the lacquer on my shelf, and when he got picked up, his tail split right down the middle.

He had damaged whole chunks of slime coat, and I was worried salt might irritate him (he's really sensitive to any changes in water conditions). I just double-dosed my water conditioner Prime, as this is supposed to promote slime coat growth and kept eyes on him.

He bounced back within a few hours and his tail is regrowing nicely.

One of my bettas fell 6 foot to the ground and was flopping around for a while before I noticed. Apart from being furrier than normal, he was fine without me needing to do anything.

If you're really worried or your betta is having a lot of difficulties, I would do what OFL says as this should help prevent any nasties from taking advantage.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #6 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Last week, four of my bettas got out even with lids on. One got himself stuck to the lacquer on my shelf, and when he got picked up, his tail split right down the middle.

He had damaged whole chunks of slime coat, and I was worried salt might irritate him (he's really sensitive to any changes in water conditions). I just double-dosed my water conditioner Prime, as this is supposed to promote slime coat growth and kept eyes on him.

He bounced back within a few hours and his tail is regrowing nicely.

One of my bettas fell 6 foot to the ground and was flopping around for a while before I noticed. Apart from being furrier than normal, he was fine without me needing to do anything.

If you're really worried or your betta is having a lot of difficulties, I would do what OFL says as this should help prevent any nasties from taking advantage.
so the tails are growing back after only 1 week? how much?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You don't need to use aquarium salt long term-its doesn't prevent disease or parasites and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues and kidney damage......and long term non-therapeutic dosage can limit it ability to work for treatment when needed......fresh, clean, like temp dechlorinated water from regular water changes is the best prevention method for most problems that affect our Bettas....

Fin re-growth can vary from fish to fish based on husbandry, age, genetic, extent of damage and treatment method.....usually with proper treatment you will see new growth within a day or so...full re-growth can take weeks to months and with extreme damage the fins may never return to their full glory.......
Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #8 
jman828

So it IS safe to use that much aquarium salt right (1 tsp/gal)?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Yes, for Bettas you can use up to 3tsp/gal...depending on what you are treating.....
Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #10 
jman828

OK, the first 100% water change is done with salt i will keep doing it for 9 more days. He seems to be doing okay....i hope he gets better! will keep you posted.

PS. on his fins that are still ok the color has come off will it return?