Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #1 
DeejaiBeta

Unhappy Betta is sick with multiple disease?

My Betta use to be active but couple of days ago he started staying at the bottom of the bowl and not eating properly. He was blue in color but now he looks like covered with white cotton(Fungus or Ick), Fins are closed/stiff(I think he is loosing his fins) and has a popeye. I noted this 2 days ago and went to Petsmart, the worker asked me to get BettaFix to treat it. After 2 dose he is swimming now but he still looks the same like covered with white cotton.

Please advice me how can I help him.

Here is his photo
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/img3414l.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/img3413ja.jpg

Last edited by DeejaiBeta; 11-07-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Photos not shown
DeejaiBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you complete this and post it...... the more info the better...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #3 
DeejaiBeta

Housing:
I keep him in a 1 gallon bowl with artificial plant and aquarium gravel. I don't have a heater and filter.

Food:
I feed him Hikari Betta Bio Gold, 3 pellets a day for3 times.

Maintenance:
Once a week I change water. I do a full change.

Water Parameters:
I haven't tested the water. I use tap water and I use BettaSafe water conditioner.

Symptoms and Treatment:
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Yes, its looks the body covered with white cotton, fins are closed and has a popeye

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Not active, no appetite, always stays at the bottom of the tank and will come up for air.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
3 days ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Yes, I use BettaFix

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Don't know, I bought him form Petco 3 months ago. He was healthy and use to make bubble nest.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Don't know.

Note:
He was now taken out from the tank and kept him in a jar(which was provided by Petco when I bought him) for treatment.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well...

He has multi problems going on as you already know....do you know the water temp...this is really important......

Right now I would get him started on high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal, tannins along with water changes for 10 days....

Good that you have him QT in a small bare container-keep him in a dim lit quiet location while treating, temp 76-78F range.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlroinated water-Add salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this water steep for 30min and use this water for 25% water change every 15min for 1 hour-to total 4 water changes to get him acclimated to the treatment water today-allow some of the crushed leaves used in the premixed treatment water to fall in the QT with him.

Tomorrow start 50% water changes every 15 min for 30min-total of 2 in 30min...do this every day for 10 days.....

On day 3 of treatment-offer small frequent meals if he wants to eat-remove uneaten food...

I will be honest....it doesn't look good...but don't give up-but if he seems to be suffering you need to do what is right by him.....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #5 
DeejaiBeta

Thank you so much for the advice. I have to follow the above mentioned treatment. Will keep you posted!