Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #31 
Oldfishlady

For a missing tail-I would QT in a small container that can either be floated in a heated tank or some how maintain a temp in the 76-77F range....you don't want to go too high on the temp with a compromised fish......

A good QT-especially if they are having problems swimming-is the small cup some Bettas are sold in with the lid

No filter or water movement, dim lit, low traffic.....

Premixed treatment water: Use a 1gal jug of like temp dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf....I use 10-12 naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf-crushed....let this treatment water sit for 30min-1hr to allow the tannins to release and the salt to dissolve.....Shake well before use and use this premixed treatment water for 100% daily water changes for 10 days.....

The longer the tannins steep the more tannins released the darker the water-this is want you want each day...increase in tannins-don't worry if some of the bits get in the QT with the fish...if you have any live plants like water lettuce, frogbit, duckweed...even hornwort add a small amount in the QT to float...by having something overhead can help the Betta feel safe-a solid colored lid will do this too...but live plants have the added benefit of keeping water safe....

First acclimate him to the treatment water by doing 50% water changes every hour for 2 hours and start the 100% tomorrow and that will count as day 1 of treatment....

Be sure that the water temp between the QT water and premixed jug of Tx water is pretty close in temp-if not-if you are floating him in a heated tank-float a second container with the Tx water to equalize the temp or make 50% twice within 20 min or so....check the temps with a thermometer....too extreme temp changes with a compromised fish can be really hard on them......

Within a day or so you should start to see new fin growth-usually will look white or clear in color....as long as the fish is acting okay, eating and you don't see any fuzzy growth on the injured area...all is fine.....if you see fuzzy growth Increase the salt to 2tsp/gal.....

Nutrition-this is really important for healing and regrowth of the fins...high protein and a good varied diet-fed in very small frequent meals....5-6 times a day.....if you have access to mosquito larva...feed this....the better the diet and water quality the faster you will see new growth.....

If the damage went beyond the fin and into caudal peduncle or quick...meaty part of the tail.....it may not grow back and the fish may need to be euthanized-if the lack of tail impedes swimming/locomotion....you should know within a week and/or by his behavior....

Full regrowth may take months....but once new growth is noted-all he may need is a 10 day treatment...after that....its time, good nutrition, water quality and patience......

Good luck and keep us posted....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-17-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #32 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
For a missing tail-I would QT in a small container that can either be floated in a heated tank or some how maintain a temp in the 76-77F range....you don't want to go too high on the temp with a compromised fish......

A good QT-especially if they are having problems swimming-is the small cup some Bettas are sold in with the lid

No filter or water movement, dim lit, low traffic.....

Premixed treatment water: Use a 1gal jug of like temp dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf....I use 10-12 naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf-crushed....let this treatment water sit for 30min-1hr to allow the tannins to release and the salt to dissolve.....Shake well before use and use this premixed treatment water for 100% daily water changes for 10 days.....

The longer the tannins steep the more tannins released the darker the water-this is want you want each day...increase in tannins-don't worry if some of the bits get in the QT with the fish...if you have any live plants like water lettuce, frogbit, duckweed...even hornwort add a small amount in the QT to float...by having something overhead can help the Betta feel safe-a solid colored lid will do this too...but live plants have the added benefit of keeping water safe....

First acclimate him to the treatment water by doing 50% water changes every hour for 2 hours and start the 100% tomorrow and that will count as day 1 of treatment....

Be sure that the water temp between the QT water and premixed jug of Tx water is pretty close in temp-if not-if you are floating him in a heated tank-float a second container with the Tx water to equalize the temp or make 50% twice within 20 min or so....check the temps with a thermometer....too extreme temp changes with a compromised fish can be really hard on them......

Within a day or so you should start to see new fin growth-usually will look white or clear in color....as long as the fish is acting okay, eating and you don't see any fuzzy growth on the injured area...all is fine.....if you see fuzzy growth Increase the salt to 2tsp/gal.....

Nutrition-this is really important for healing and regrowth of the fins...high protein and a good varied diet-fed in very small frequent meals....5-6 times a day.....if you have access to mosquito larva...feed this....the better the diet and water quality the faster you will see new growth.....

If the damage went beyond the fin and into caudal peduncle or quick...meaty part of the tail.....it may not grow back and the fish may need to be euthanized-if the lack of tail impedes swimming/locomotion....you should know within a week and/or by his behavior....

Full regrowth may take months....but once new growth is noted-all he may need is a 10 day treatment...after that....its time, good nutrition, water quality and patience......

Good luck and keep us posted....
Ok, Thanks :). I am on day 3 of treatment out of 10. So i should be looking for fuzzy spots? is there anything else? I don't know too much about betta sickness so I would appreciate it if you could tell me everything to watch out for. :D
Thanks OFL!
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #33 
GreenTea

Myates, I'm just saying bettafix is low budget medicine, he might want to get something better but I don't know if that's an option.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #34 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Myates, I'm just saying bettafix is low budget medicine, he might want to get something better but I don't know if that's an option.
I might have to do that GreenTea But for now I think i'll just keep with the salt and if needed I will buy some better medicine. PS. I have not added any bettafix because from you guys and other sites have learned it sucks....haha. OFL you still here? Need symptoms please.

Last edited by jman828; 08-17-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #35 
Oldfishlady

General symptoms......fuzzy, cotton growths, black crusty areas, clamped fins, lethargic, hiding, stops eating, flashing, swellings...etc......anything that is abnormal....
Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #36 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
General symptoms......fuzzy, cotton growths, black crusty areas, clamped fins, lethargic, hiding, stops eating, flashing, swellings...etc......anything that is abnormal....
OK.....and also where his tail was, the fin below it a litle piece in the middle has fallen out and it hanging there still attached on the end so i dont know what to do about it and i dont think it is caused by finrot
Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #37 
jman828

This is what happened, it doesn't look like finrot to me.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #38 
jman828

PS. I also have medicine
1. API - Liquid Fungus Cure
2.API - Bettafix
Should I Use either of them?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #39 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
This is what happened, it doesn't look like finrot to me.
I just can't imagine how the jump made his entire tail fall off..that's crazy stuff. Fin rot doesn't rot the fin in such a way, so I would say it was because of the jump. Mine also broke off in such a way after a jump as well, couple segments of the rays just broke and fell off (not attached like yours). I am not sure what you are supposed to do with that. OFL can give you advice on that.

As for the meds, I wouldn't use either unless necessary meaning when you see fungus growth. If you are currently using AQ salt and tannins and super clean water, that should help a great deal.

I hope he heals up soon.

Wait and see what OFL and others would say about the meds. For now, I wouldn't if I were you.

Last edited by earthworm88; 08-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #40 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
PS. I also have medicine
1. API - Liquid Fungus Cure
2.API - Bettafix
Should I Use either of them?
Has there been any changes.....can you post an up-dated pic....can you see any new growth...personally, I wouldn't add any of those products.....