Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2014, 03:04 AM   #1 
Tomboy7

Exclamation Newbie here,how to do 50% water changes

Hey I have not got my betta yet so I am doing all the research I can on them I plan to have a 3-5 gallon tank with no filter (only till I can afford one)
so I plan to do 50% water changes twice a week and 100% water changes once a month the only problem is I dont know how?
and also in your answer could you say how to do 100% water changes as well thanks
Tomboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:16 AM   #2 
appleandpebble

you should really check cheap filters out... some are extremely cheap, since you don't have a big tank, a cheap small filter is ideal.. maybe ebay? I found one that is very cheap right here.
but If you really can't afford it, 50% water changes are necessary. the problem is that your betta will get easily stressed. This can lead to severe tail bitting..
here are different methods to do water changes.
appleandpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #3 
Vergil

One good way to buffer an unfiltered tank is if you plant it. Even fast-growing floaters like cabomba are good additions that take up ammonia and you just have to anchor it with rocks or tying to driftwood without much issue over substrate and such.

Driftwood also adds tannins that helps improve your water quality.

As for water changes, it's pretty straightforward. Get a dipper or huge mug and transfer the water from the tank to a basin or toss directly into the drainage. For replacement tank water, it'd be best to age water in a large basin or bucket for 24 hours then condition with a dechlorinator (best to use something that addresses heavy metals too if that's an issue with your water).

As for the filter, I would be more concerned about a heater depending on your area's climate. I never had one nor did I need one since I'm in the tropics and if anything, our water even gets hotter than recommended temps for these guys.
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #4 
Tomboy7

Thanks for the advice will be taking it into account
Tomboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help please, new fish owner, newbie, partial water change, water changes