Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #1 
Yaoilover12397

A Soon to be New Owners Questions.

So today, my mother and I went and got my tank to set it up. Shes a betta verteran from when I was a little kid. I had a few questions I wanted to ask.

1. The guy at the store handed me and my mom TetraMin 3 Select-A-Food. (http://www.petco.com/product/113136/...Fish-Food.aspx) Will this be good for feeding a betta fish? How many times should I feed him and should the baby shrimp in it just be treats or are they okay as a regular every day food source?

2. This is my tank.

It's an Oceanic BioCube. It's twenty-nine gallons. (http://www.petco.com/product/106669/...t=OnSiteSearch) I've also purchased and set up my tank with an submersible Aquarium Heater (It's 100 watts) A little thermometer. An AquaClear Air Pump for up to a Thirty Gallon tank with a bubble wall and an airstone. Although I plan to replace the airstone with a second bubble wall in a few days.

I think these are my only real questions for now.
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #2 
fishcurl

Wow, what a tank! Will that be for one betta all himself?

For your first question, suitable foods for bettas include pellets made especially for bettas (New Life Spectrum is a popular and trusted brand), frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, freeze-dried bloodworms or brine shrimp (only as occasional treat), and various live foods if you're conditioning to breed.

Flakes will work, but they aren't the best option. They foul the tank more easily and aren't designed for the specific nutritional needs of bettas.

Whatever you feed, a varied diet of small meals throughout the day is recommended. I.e., 2 pellets in the a.m., 1 frozen bloodworm mid-day, 1 pellet in the p.m. You'll need to experiment and find what works for your particular fish.

So...what was your other question? I read through #2 a few times and didn't see one there :)

If that tank is all for your betta, the bubble wand wouldn't be a good idea. Although it looks cool and oxygenates your water, bettas like water to be calm and without a strong current. They don't need the oxygen in the water either as they have what's called a labyrinth organ. Essentially, they gulp the oxygen they need from the surface of the water - another reason they like a calm tank :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #3 
Yaoilover12397

Well at the moment the moment I plan to for maybe the first week to have just the Betta, a mystery Snail and a Cherry shrimp. How bad is the bubble wand and airstone? Do they need to be taken out?

Oh XD #2 was more along the lines of is the tank set up well. XD

Okay but is TetraMin 3 Select-A-Food okay for the fish or should I just eat the cost of it throw it away and buy some pellets?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #4 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoilover12397 View Post
Well at the moment the moment I plan to for maybe the first week to have just the Betta, a mystery Snail and a Cherry shrimp. How bad is the bubble wand and airstone? Do they need to be taken out?

Oh XD #2 was more along the lines of is the tank set up well. XD

Okay but is TetraMin 3 Select-A-Food okay for the fish or should I just eat the cost of it throw it away and buy some pellets?
If the seal on the container isn't broken, you may be able to exchange it for something else. In fact, feel free to tell the store that you came to a website dedicated to betta care and that the store recommended the incorrect product for you. ;)

I feed my bettas the pellets. I know some people feed them flake but I prefer the pellets because I don't find them to be as messy. I also give mine a treat of frozen bloodworms once or twice a week; you'd be surprised how much they enjoy those, they attack the with vigor!
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #5 
Yaoilover12397

How does one keep frozen bloodworms? I don't think I can use the freexzer in my house. I don't think anyone in my family would be happy to see bloodworms next to their ben & jerrys or their pizza bagels.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #6 
fishcurl

Frozen bloodworms come in handy pre-frozen cubes - it's a very inoffensive package. My husband is squeamish but doesn't seem to mind. You can always put them in an opaque container to hide it if anyone objects :)

Regarding your tank - more plants would be a good idea. At 29 gallons, your betta will really appreciate the extra hidey spots. Live plants are especially ideal - see Pew's epic plant guide in the Betta accessories etc. forum for info.

The bubble wall I'd remove completely. The airstone may be okay, but, again, the betta doesn't need it. If the surface of the water is still, your betta will more likely make bubble nests :)
Old 08-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #7 
Yaoilover12397

My only concern with removing it is the fact I do plan to get some other fishes like Mollies, Cory Catfish and Etc. Do those fish need the bubble wall?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #8 
fishcurl

I am not knowledgeable about the requirements of those types of fish. However, bubble walls are more decorative than anything else. While it does help to oxygenate the water, the filter alone will do that just fine.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

I believe, though am not 100% sure, that bubblers do not actually really supply oxygen.
A powerful enough filter will do this for your tank better than a bubbler, I think.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #10 
ForbiddenSecrets

What a bubble wall really does is breaks up the surface of the water to allow more oxygen. I have one in my 10 gallon that my Betta seems to enjoy playing with - though the tube is a bit kinked to keep the bubbles from being crazy active. Most of the day though it doesn't bother him at all. I have it set up along the back side of my tank and out of his way.

As long as it's not stressing out the fish I don't see what harm it could do. While they do have a labyrinth lung they still breathe through their gills as well and having oxygenation water is nice. Especially since warm water retains less oxygen then cold water.

Edit: It might actually be calmer to have the bubbler then a filter that is working powerfully enough to properly supply oxygen to a 29 gallon tank. Though my 29 is dry at the moment so it's just a guess. Less current in the water.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote