Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 
Aced

2.5 Gallon- best set up?

So I'm new to the betta world (and this forum!) but ever since getting my first boy I've been religiously reading this forum. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that is filtered and heated. I figure shouldn't bother cycling it because it is so small and I don't want to stress my beta that much. My problem is my tap water starts out with a pH of 7.5 and ammonia levels near .25
I'm worried that the ammonia, long term, will be too high for my betta so I was wondering if you all had suggestions for things to help it? I would love to do a fully planted tank someday but I don't think I can take that on right now so are there any suggestions for easy plants that LOVE ammonia? Or other things I can do? Even doing daily water changes isn't going to help, obviously, so I'm lost! Also, should I buy a pH lowering product or will the 7.2-7.5 be okay for him?

Currently i have a moss ball, a silk plant, and a plastic plant/terra cotta pot mixture. I also have 1 bamboo shrimp, the shrimp and beta seem totally fine and I've been waking up to nice bubble nests but the last thing I want to do is stress them both out :/

thanks in advance!
Aced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #2 
kumi

Hi. The pH is fine. For the ammonia, the suggestion is to use Seachem Prime as a water conditioner. It turns the ammonia into something that is not harmful to your fish but that still registers on the test (just to confuse us).

You will likely end up with a cycled tank, by the way. The ammonia eating bacteria will naturally grow, and then the nitrite eating bacteria will.

What kind of substrate do you have in the tank and what type of light? That's going to influence what plants will do well for you.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 
N03113

Anacharis is a good ammonia sink. Basically you want a fast growing plant...
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 
Aced

thanks for responding! I'll pick up that water conditioner ASAP and hope it works!
i have a 15 Watt Incandescent Bulb that came with the tank (not sure if I could put a different bulb in?) and plain gravel from petsmart..
Aced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #5 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced View Post
thanks for responding! I'll pick up that water conditioner ASAP and hope it works!
i have a 15 Watt Incandescent Bulb that came with the tank (not sure if I could put a different bulb in?) and plain gravel from petsmart..
Do you have the 2.5 gallon minibow? If so, yes, you can put in a compact fluorescent for plants--just be sure you don't accidentally get the 50/50 one for reefs (guess how I know to warn you about that). The one I have is a 10 watt and a lot of plants are doing well (I pick ones that are either low light or medium light but described as easy to care for). If it's a different tank, then you'll have to compare the shape of the bulb to the space available.

If it's the minibow, they have arranged the filter so that it blocks some of the light. Very silly of them. I switched out filters, but that is annoying to have to do. I would suggest that you stick to low light plants if you keep that filter.

I'm using eco-complete substrate. Some plants won't like the gravel very much, but there are plenty of low-light plants, such as java ferns and anubias that you don't really bury into the substrate anyway, as well as all of the floating plants. i don't have enough experience to give you many specific suggestions, but there is a sticky here about easy plants and other forum members who can help you decide about specific plants. My planted tanks seem to be doing well, but I still consider them experiments at this point. The fish seem happy and the plants do an excellent job of helping to stabilize the water conditions.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote